Author Topic: TFT The not white unibody  (Read 20359 times)

Callelle

Re: TFT The not white unibody
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2019, 01:20:54 AM »
Trackbar mount does wrap under the frame rail, not really sure how else I'd brace it other than welding plate and giving it more real estate along the frame rail. Old track bar mount survived with 2 bolts in the bottom and two on the side *shrug*. I'll probably add a high steer arm to double sheer the passenger side knuckle down the line if it becomes an issue. The real question is how long am I even going to keep this steering set up before I want full hydro and it all changes anyway. I'm just going with assist because it keeps costs relatively down for now. Trying not to lose my mind over the small stuff like the small amount of bump steer I might have with the difference in lengths for track bar / drag link. Some things I do know I'm gonna need to do, extend bump stop towers / add hockey pucks, and get limit straps (especially with the weight of the 60 compared to just saying "fuck it" with the 30).

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2019, 03:58:45 AM »
I forget not everything is a racecar.

Plating side of frame is exactly what I had in mind.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

Callelle

« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2019, 07:19:07 AM »
Gotchya, my frame rail is plated on the outside front to back. The underside of the front, at least on the drivers side will probably be plated since that's where the crack was that I posted before, and the inside and probably bottom of the rear section will be plated when I get to relocating the gas tank.

Callelle

« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2019, 11:37:24 AM »
Ordered a new axle side trackbar mount from RuffStuff. I think I'll be able to notch the front part of the bracket where the coil bucket is and pass it up through it while still clearing the coil. I'm hoping not only to fix the length issue but also the angle. Harrison also suggested to make a brace for the track bar because of the leverage that mount will put on the unibody. Even with the frame plating, I agree with him and will work it out once things are finalized in terms of where mounts are gonna go.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2019, 02:17:37 PM »
full hydro seems easier than playing track bar bump stop games lol

give you guys credit for jaming this shit under unibodys.  i dont have any experience chasing bump stop issues from track bar / drag links. 

Callelle

« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2019, 03:02:05 PM »
Would it be easier, sure. But it's an expense I can't afford at this moment. It'll happen down the line, but for now I'm gonna work with what I can.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2019, 03:13:34 PM »
** bump steer not bump stop

its really not that expensive, even more so with single ended ram. 

find an orbital on ebay 100-200$
single ended tsc ram 100$
surplus hoses / fittins 100$

TrailTamer

« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2019, 05:00:43 PM »
You are going to full width and coils are centered over tubes (unlikely oem set up) so take advantage of that by extending the frame side track bar mount further outside of the frame to bring your track bar length closer to drag link’s length. Angle is more important than length but still, try keep lengths close to same as you can. I had to shorten my track bar a little because tire rubs on the bracket when turning to right. My track bar is probably ~1.5” shorter than drag link, angles matches, no bump steer.

Callelle

« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2019, 06:33:56 PM »
** bump steer not bump stop

its really not that expensive, even more so with single ended ram. 

find an orbital on ebay 100-200$
single ended tsc ram 100$
surplus hoses / fittins 100$

Is that really all it is? I thought I would be dumping close to a grand because even surplus center orbitals are like $4-500 (last time I looked) and thought I would be needing a double ended ram. Oh well, lesson learned, I'm somewhat committed at this point.

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2019, 06:36:57 PM »
The only additional cost is the orbital to replace the steering box, and you have to mod the box anyway. So, in reality, is it a wash?
Retired

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2019, 07:05:06 PM »
shit i have a tsc ram id give you sitting on the shelf

"bump fitting" from a hydro shop to make your steering pump to AN6 is like 12$ then a couple 20$ hoses from surplus to the ram.  the orbital is the part you need to source.  being a trail rig it really doesnt matter what one you get so thats easy. 

quick ebay search looks like there are a dozen for around 100$ but you need to look up the PN and make sure its something load reactive

Harrison

« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2019, 08:07:45 PM »
I love my single ended setup but josh hasn’t given up on the idea of driving this on the road a lot. Like everyone else who builds a one ton thing when they start and quickly realize it’s not worth it.

Josh - unless you’re willing to have uneven turns lock to lock and a steering wheel that’s never straight [things that don’t matter for wheeling]  I’d not suggest the budget full hydro setup.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2019, 08:11:44 PM »
o who cares where the wheel is or what it does, meh

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2019, 09:21:02 PM »
Three spoke wheel and it never matters
Retired

Callelle

« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2019, 09:42:33 PM »
Three spoke wheel and it never matters

That's kinda something I was thinking if I decide to go that route.