Author Topic: TFT The not white unibody  (Read 20734 times)

Callelle

Re: TFT The not white unibody
« Reply #225 on: May 27, 2020, 07:35:32 PM »
After many months of being dicked around my national grid, we finally got electric in the new shop, and thus work has finally started on this thing. On the list are new 1 piece seats, 5 point harnesses ,rebuilding kingpins, plate the knuckles, fixing leaks on the steering box, and a new exhaust.

Got the passenger seat in, have to make some new brackets for the driver side.

Also got the knuckles taken apart. Used a trick my friend told me where you cut around the kingpins about a 1/16" over where they meet the inner C, then you hit the top of them with a hammer. This deflects the little bit that is left and takes the load off of threads and I was able to spin them out with a normal box wrench.

Ran into a couple issues though, snapped 2 of the bolts on the bottom cover on one side and didn't have any torches to aid in getting them out. My friend is gonna take them to work and clean the grease up and get the broken bolts and studs out.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 07:40:35 PM by Callelle »

Callelle

« Reply #226 on: June 08, 2020, 09:50:05 PM »
Finished up the king pin rebuild. They're a little tight with the springless conversion, but I'm assuming they need to wear in a little bit first. Ran into a slight issue with the new high steer arm being shorter than the hack fab one I was using before, causing the drag link to once again hit the track bar mount. Ordered an offset heim and hopefully that'll give me enough clearance. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try a carriage bolt. If that doesn't work, I don't really know what.

Callelle

« Reply #227 on: June 25, 2020, 02:36:29 PM »
Off set heim worked perfect for my drag link, so I got all the front buttoned up, new wheel seals on the 14 bolt, also got my mastercraft seats in. I still need to adjust where the driver's seat sits side to side but because of a rausch trip this weekend, it'll do for now. Still haven't gotten my 5 point harnesses from corbeau, I suspect due to covid so I just have the 4 points in. Got it loaded up last night, looks good behind the new tow pig.

Callelle

« Reply #228 on: August 01, 2020, 01:44:16 PM »
New 5 point harnesses in. So much more comfortable and secure than the 4 points were.

Callelle

« Reply #229 on: August 30, 2020, 05:04:36 PM »
Dailying with 5 point harnesses isn't as annoying as I thought it'd be, only really if I need to reach out and grab something with 2 hands (drink tray), or if I drop something on the floor. New seats are nice for when I leave the doors off and it pours, usually dry by morning. I think I'm gonna end up getting covers for them to leave on when not in use. Somehow this thing is still a 75mph and cruise control on the throughway machine. No jitters, no vibrations, it's surprisingly pleasant to drive. Need to get out and wheel more though.