Author Topic: TFT The not white unibody  (Read 20646 times)

wnyjpgy

Re: TFT The not white unibody
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2019, 07:47:28 AM »
Yeah, that video has a superduty  60 (Unit bearings give it away) that axle only has 1.5" of tube showing on the short side.

My 91 kingpin style had 3" ( I had to trim just a little)

The 78-79 has 6" which I would have thought would be plenty of room.

Callelle

« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2019, 07:56:03 AM »
It's because my truss puts the lca mounts in the same spot as they would be on the Dana 30. With rubber bushings I don't want to move them out any.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Callelle

« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2019, 07:58:08 AM »
It's not really a big deal, I thought the 6" of tube on the driver side would have been enough room too. The truss is going to strengthen the axle overall and I'm gonna weld the tubes to the housing. I think it'll be fine.

Callelle

« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2019, 08:11:50 PM »
Front truss welded on about 80%, ran out of weld wire. Notching went smooth and fairly easy taking a little bit at a time. LCA mounts probably not perfectly where they are supposed to be, but close enough to be a non issue. Heated up the housing and just welded it with the mig rather than bothering with stick, post heated and stress relieved, wrapped in old welding jacket and old horse blankets to cool slowly, hopefully no issues down the line. Thread is useless without pics but I'll get them when I'm out there next weekend and it's hopefully attached to some control arms.

Callelle

« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2019, 11:58:15 AM »
Picked up a set of these today. Kinda stupid how excited I am over a wheel, just I've wanted a set of these for years.

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2019, 12:48:36 PM »
Those are a favorite of mine
Retired

Callelle

« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2019, 05:12:43 PM »
Got a little bit done today, not as much as I wanted thanks to the silver shit pile of a truck I have. Finished welding the front truss on and got it loosely mounted. Swapping out the driver side upper bushing for the johny joint I have in the 30 to keep it as a 3 link. Good news is I think I'll be fine running hydro assist, seems to be enough room for linkages. Still need to articulate the axle to check for clearances in order to figure out how I'll run it. If like to run a hi steer arm on the passenger side for the drag link and then just run the tie rod in the normal spot. Need to get the axle into its actual position and sort out the track bar.

Callelle

« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2019, 05:13:55 PM »
Also seems that Harrison isn't the only one that needs to do some unibody repair.

Harrison

« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2019, 11:34:02 PM »
Joy!

Callelle

« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2019, 06:09:08 PM »
Back to work on this today. Got my track bar and drag link mocked up, or at least the first attempt at it. I think I'm gonna put 2 bends in the trackbar to go over and clear the dif as it gets REALLY close to where the cover would be. I have the week off this coming week so Ill be able to get a good amount of work into it.

TrailTamer

« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2019, 06:38:10 PM »
Is that the ‘correct’ pitman arm installed? (Longer than original)

The heim joint on pitman arm seem like it may bind when passenger side drops, driver side stuffed. Gonna put a high steer on passenger side knuckle at least?

TrailTamer

« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2019, 06:41:10 PM »
It may be just the picture but the track bar seem to be much shorter? Look good otherwise! I hope all will go as smooth as it can for you next week 8)

Callelle

« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2019, 07:32:09 PM »
It's a waggy arm, so longer than the original XJ one. I still have some other testing to do, today was pretty much just getting the steering and track bar started, it's gonna need some refinement. I kinda thought I could get away without running a high steer on the passenger side, but looking at it now I kinda think I'm gonna need to, again, refinement. The track bar is shorter, but it's kind of where it's gonna have to be, in hind sight, I probably would have been better off running an inverted T type steering.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2019, 09:05:28 PM »
Figure out how to double shear that bolt through the knuckle. Probably with a bracket off the spindle bolts or a high steer arm.

Track bar mount may deserve plating/wrapping the frame under/around it?

Fought bolt wobble all KOH on Jon’s bronco d44 under the 4632.  Same on pitman arm. His seems to have enough room to move with similar misalignment spacer setup.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

Harrison

TFT The not white unibody
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2019, 10:36:02 PM »
4.5” lift with nearly identical steering setup was not an issue with 10” shocks as far as pitman heim angle.

My steering has been single sheer for the last 6 years of wreck wheeling with this 60. Used to loosen up and need tightened at the knuckle every couple runs. Switched to fine thread and top lock and not an issue since. Wreck wheeling is infinitely easier on stuff like that than racing.