Author Topic: TFT The not white unibody  (Read 20369 times)

Harrison

Re: TFT The not white unibody
« Reply #165 on: April 07, 2019, 08:23:05 PM »
Head to the coil, not but. Thin it/round it. Down the hatch.

You watching too much Letterkenny?

Callelle

« Reply #166 on: April 07, 2019, 08:26:02 PM »
Head to the coil, not but. Thin it/round it. Down the hatch.

This just gives me the same problem but in reverse, I'd have to move the mount back further because the nut would still be contacting the drag link.

Can you modify the axle track bar mount so that it is notched in providing the space needed for the nut and shorten or eliminate the misalignment spacers on that end (I think it is important to keep the shoulders of the helm butted up against he bracket to eliminate slop)?

The spacers on the frame side should handle the little bit of misalignment that will be present through the travel.

I'm gonna give this a shot, I'll have to make a mount from scratch. I have some "narrow misalignment" spacers from an idea of using my old frame side bracket that should work. I can't run it without a spacer as I don't have a 7/8" drill bit for the full size of the heim joint. Worst comes to worst I move it over to the driver's side and shorten the track bar some, after talking to some other people it doesn't seem to nearly be as bad of an issue as I thought it was going to be.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: April 08, 2019, 12:01:28 AM »
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

Callelle

« Reply #168 on: April 22, 2019, 11:41:48 AM »
Victory! Time to get it fully finish welded and pulled apart for cleaning, gearing, and reassembly

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #169 on: April 22, 2019, 12:10:05 PM »
Hurry up, Big Dogs is at the end of the week!
Retired

Callelle

« Reply #170 on: April 22, 2019, 01:04:29 PM »
Feel free to come out and do gears for me XD

Callelle

« Reply #171 on: April 25, 2019, 09:55:28 AM »
Axles fully finished and pulled, doing gears on Saturday. Rot continues to look worse and worse the more I poke at it, need to pull belly pan to fully access, gonna try and do that tomorrow. It's kind of a 2 person job but I'm gonna see if I can pull some sketchy stuff with the lift and planks of wood. Once I get that done, I'm gonna drop the gas tank and start planning out how it's gonna sit and what I need to get to mount it in the cargo area. I have a good idea, my shackle boxes have some metal plates sandwiching the floor. I think I might just run some angle across those and where my cage mounts and strap it in using those. Ordered the ram and some fittings from Surplus Center, still need to make a tie rod (needs bends in it to clear the dif cover), but I'll do that after the axles are back under it. Got the bolts loose holding the steering box in, so that's ready to get pulled and tapped. All brake and bearing parts are sitting behind me. Only a few things left to order (Wheel studs and lug nuts, fuel lines, brake lines, and hydraulic lines) and it should be ready to roll. It's really nice that I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

TrailTamer

« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2019, 11:45:05 AM »
Notch the cover to clear the tie rod? I had to do that to my D30 to clear.

I feel your pain, I found a ton of thin spots with needle scaler.

Callelle

« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2019, 08:52:15 PM »
It seems Murphy's law decided to hit today. Was getting into doing gears on the 14 bolt and discovered that it has a g80 in it, meaning the torq locker won't work in the carrier. So currently I am on the hunt for a different open carrier and spiders, or another 14 bolt to steal parts from. Quick look at Craigslist and the only one I see is $250 and new parts through rock auto are $320 shipped. What ever happened to all the $100 14 bolts laying around?

Callelle

« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2019, 08:23:14 PM »
Small update. Carrier has been acquired as of last week thanks to the power of the internet. Gearing has been slow due to time being taken up by life existing, should have the 14 bolt done tomorrow night should nothing interfere. In the mean time while I haven't been able to work on the gears with a friend, I've been plugging away at some of the smaller things needing to be done. Worst spot on the frame has been 75% patched, would have finished it today but the plague hit and has had me couch ridden. Fuel tank has been moved to the rear hatch area and a small support framework has begun to take shape. I was going to make a full cage like thing around it, but aside from the fact that I'd like a fuel cell in there in the near future, it's just gonna take up valuable time. Steering box has also been removed in prep for tapping. Taking another shortcut with this, I'm just gonna tap one of the good (non leaking) spare boxes I have without pulling it apart. I still have the seal/rebuild kit to take my original box apart, but that'll be after it's on the road when I have more time (when I'm not crunching to get it on the road). The one ton dodge master cylinder is also underway, I just need to get a small bolt to extend the push rod and modify the bracket for the proportioning valve and it'll be ready to go. After those, the only things left will be plumbing brake lines, drilling my 60 hubs for m14x1.5 wheel studs, mounting the tires on the rims, and putting it all together.

Callelle

« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2019, 12:12:27 PM »
Update over the past few weeks. 14 bolt gearing done, welded the axle tubes, finishing cleanup and get ready for paint. 60 is at about 60% complete, pressure washed it last weekend and cleaned out the tubes and center section, all bearings pulled, locker installed in carrier, new grease in kingpins. Guy I'm doing the gears with is limited on time, but is very thorough on doing things right. He's having the old bearings machined to use as set up bearings as well as having pieces made to press bearings onto the pinion. Brake master is installed and just needs to be plumbed once the axles are back in. Steering box situation is being a hassle. Spare box I have has destroyed threads for the pitman arm nut, and the box that was in the Jeep leaks really bad. Went to Wilbert's this weekend to try and get another box, but everyone I tried to pull just ended up bending the jaws on my pitman arm puller to the point that I didn't dare try and harder.  Not really sure what I'm gonna do about it, I've been trying to source one that someone might have laying around to no avail, I might try the u pull it next to where I work to see if I have any better luck. I did tap my original box anyway just so I have something to put in, but I really don't have a ton of faith in it. While at Wilbert's, I did manage to get a 4.7 WJ steering pump should my XJ one not be up to snuff, and while looking to grab a spare set of OE lockouts for the 60, I stumbled across of Superwinch hubs off of an F350, so I was pretty happy about that.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: June 03, 2019, 03:55:41 PM »
Machining bearings to makes setups? Special parts for pressing? Hmmm

Automotive pitman arm pullers are universally trash. Big 2 jaw puller is where it’s at. Hopefully it fits.
oh lord!

Callelle

« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2019, 04:19:58 PM »
Mine is a 2 jaw puller, and we didn't have anything to fit over the pinion shaft and press the inner bearing on so he's gonna have something made up to do it. And as far as machining open the inner part of the side bearings, it's just that it's something he can have done while I'm not at his shop to work on it. Don't really see what's so wrong with that.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: June 03, 2019, 10:31:31 PM »
Typically just open them up with a die grinder by hand
oh lord!

Callelle

« Reply #179 on: June 04, 2019, 06:39:03 AM »
I mentioned that to him, he said that it could cause the bearing to sit unevenly on the shaft and throw things off. Oh well, that's not why we stopped for the night so if he gets the ID opened up at work, no skin of anyone's back. We still didn't have anything the right size to press the pinion bearings in.