Author Topic: TFT The not white unibody  (Read 20389 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: TFT The not white unibody
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2019, 02:27:06 PM »
cut the fenders! if it still doesn't fit CUT THE HOOD!
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

Callelle

« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2019, 02:31:25 PM »
I've had 2" of up travel for years, I'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2019, 02:50:56 PM »
can I cut your hood, then? :evil:

full disclosure: I'm completing nothing other than boring DD maintenance/neglect. I'll just keep throwing stones while the buggy quietly rusts in the garage with tcase and spare mount and maybe fuel system issues, still in need of a looser converter and tuning.
oh lord!

Callelle

« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2019, 02:54:31 PM »
When I inevitably get to juggy status and Bob the front, I'll let you have the honors

Callelle

« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2019, 05:56:50 PM »
Got a bunch done today. Drag link and track bar are made, and not out of pvc. Upper control arm adjusted. Have some adjustments to make but she sat on her own weight today, and she's level! Driver's side spring is catching on the trackbar bolt. Johny joint that I had in the 30 to run as a 3 link is too big for uca mounts on the truss. Also need to double check long arm lengths because the passenger side spring is bowed a bit.

Totally Safe  ::)

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 06:04:59 PM by Callelle »

Callelle

« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2019, 06:06:17 PM »
Apparently I also need to switch my upper to be on the passenger side.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2019, 07:57:52 PM »
Typically don't want a single upper to be on the passenger side. You're not radius arm, so less camber change with droop than I dealt with, but watch that pinion ujoint angle at full articulation - it can sometimes get u-g-l-y.
oh lord!

Callelle

« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2019, 08:38:16 PM »
It is a radius arm, and the reason I need to switch it to the passenger side is because of the pinion yoke, it's coming in full contact with the upper and bracket off of the long arm. What's wrong with having the upper on the passenger side?

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2019, 09:36:00 PM »
full passenger up, driver down. pinion doesn't rotate up at all. exceeds max joint angle at pinion if you have good down travel.

mind that for sure.
oh lord!

Callelle

« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2019, 10:32:59 PM »
full passenger up, driver down. pinion doesn't rotate up at all. exceeds max joint angle at pinion if you have good down travel.

mind that for sure.

It'll be something I have to keep an eye on when I try it. If it does cause issues I'll have to move the upper mount on the long arm, it interferes enough that the pinion wont even spin at full driver's stuff.

Callelle

« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2019, 10:27:25 PM »
Been a while since I've updated. Had a few broken parts that delayed much progress on top of real life things coming up. Got a bunch of things squared away today, only have a few things left to do in terms of getting the fab work done. Next weekend I should be able to to have everything fully welded so I can pull the axles back out so they can be painted, geared, and reassembled with bearings, brakes, etc. Build may carry a bit into May, but only because of other things that need to get done, like relocating the fuel tank and fixing the rot in the frame rails.

Callelle

« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2019, 07:41:47 PM »
Ran into some issues and I'm not really sure how to proceed. Trackbar mount on the axle side was hitting the drag link so I moved it back to where there's just a fraction of an inch at full passenger lock (where it comes closest to contact). Only now there's virtually no room for the coil spring, it contacts and gets hung up on the nut for the trackbar. I can't move the coil buckets back any further to prevent the coil from hitting the bolt or my bump stops won't make contact. I also can't move the axle forward anymore because I'm at the end of the threads safely on my control arms. I could use the trackbar mount that was built into the truss, but that would make the trackbar 5-7" shorter than the drag link (you can see it in a picture earlier in the post), and they wouldn't exactly be parallel. Room for mounting the assist cylinder would also become a concern.

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2019, 08:34:03 PM »
Can you modify the axle track bar mount so that it is notched in providing the space needed for the nut and shorten or eliminate the misalignment spacers on that end (I think it is important to keep the shoulders of the helm butted up against he bracket to eliminate slop)?

The spacers on the frame side should handle the little bit of misalignment that will be present through the travel.
Retired

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2019, 09:11:25 PM »
carriage bolt with a round head?   lol

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2019, 02:04:21 PM »
Head to the coil, not but. Thin it/round it. Down the hatch.
oh lord!