Author Topic: TFT The not white unibody  (Read 20633 times)

Harrison

Re: TFT The not white unibody
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2019, 10:52:09 PM »
o who cares where the wheel is or what it does, meh

I would if I had a nice steering wheel with cruise control and was committed to street driving.

My Jeep has an old school pre airbag Jeep wheel and I don’t care where it is.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2019, 12:20:49 AM »
If I were stuffing these parts in an xj id be committed to streeting it for a while. Otherwise why bother starting with something so challenging.

I miss license plates and 40s.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

Callelle

« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2019, 07:15:50 AM »
I think I've decided that I'm gonna stick with assist. I do want to keep it on the road for a while, and while I know full hydro is doable on the street, I'd rather have that linkage going to the wheels. However rare it is, the idea that if a line goes, losing all steering while potentially going 55-70mph doesn't sound fun. Full hydro will come when I get to the point that this wont see much street time anymore.

That being said, I ordered a new axle side mount, gonna see where I can work that in to fix track bar/drag link length issues, and hopefully I can use the original track bar bracket as a mount for the assist ram.

Callelle

« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2019, 02:16:16 PM »
Got the 14 bolt tacked in, shop flooding put a bit of a hindrance on things. I need to take some time and really figure out how I can do the front. Droop is too much for drag link to mount to the normal spot on the knuckle and them heims bind up. I did get a high steer arm 2nd hand that I may be able to use, getting the track bar where it needs to go is what makes it complicated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2019, 04:00:21 PM »
keep in mind your max heim deflection only happens when both front tires are drooped out (jumping the truck).  not common for a trail rig haha.

also do you have misalignment spacers, or sometimes you can cheat and clearance the bolts, add cone washers ect... 

Callelle

« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2019, 04:45:17 PM »
I didn't think about the max deflection only being when both front tires are drooped out, I do have misalignment spacers on them, I'll keep that in mind. I'm still going to sit down looking at it to have a good think about it, I got the new axle side track bar bracket, but it wont fit how I was hoping it would. I might just end up dealing with the bump steer but I want to see if I can get it to work out. 

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2019, 04:52:20 PM »
ya most jeeps with any kind of aftermarket lift or steering system bind up when you pick them up on a 2 post lift letting everything go to full droop. 

i guess i still would like to steer in a jump or in a hill assault when the front end is light close to limit but again, mostly ignored in 99% of any trail rig use. 

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2019, 05:19:30 PM »
Retired

Callelle

« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2019, 05:47:43 PM »
Something like this would help, no?

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R2237.html

I've already got heims for the steering and what not, I don't really want to spend another $500 on a different steering set up unless I have to.

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2019, 05:50:05 PM »
The idea was more about the pass side TRE and putting the drag link joint on a different axis. Maybe able to incorporate the same principle with the materials you have currently?
Retired

Callelle

« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2019, 06:11:01 PM »
It's a possibility, if it comes to it, I could always buy just the TRE with the drag link mount in it and run around with half TREs and half heim joints  :o

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2019, 06:59:51 PM »
The down side to the geometry in the posted link is the dead spot from tie rod roll. It’s why similar factory incarnations are inverted Y not inverted T.

Something to keep the tie rod from rolling freely is needed when you tie the drag link to it. Some ways are breed than others - the Hack Shack rigs both run what I might consider the worst possible incarnation of it that I’ve seen but it works a charm. There’s just a tab off the top of the tie rod above the heim. It keeps the tie rod from rolling and it works. Proper loading and wear be damned.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2019, 07:48:13 PM »
still keeping the OEM tank location?  maybe Harry can answer better on 4DR XJ clearances but running bigger rubber starts to fight diff cover to tank clearance vs rear door fender tin work i believe.  tank usually looses! 

cant wait to see another 1 ton XJ hawging on the trail!

Callelle

« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2019, 08:11:26 PM »
Tank is getting raised into rear cargo area, not quite sitting on the floor. Gonna cut a hole and use the gas tank skid as a tub for it to sit in.

Harrison

« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2019, 03:25:04 PM »
My tank went fully inside before I had clearance issues. It was close with 1” stretch and Solid cover though. Lot of bang for buck with tank relocation.