Author Topic: Time for Tons  (Read 66226 times)

Harrison

Re: Time for Tons
« Reply #570 on: February 20, 2017, 12:15:57 PM »
That shifts between low and high range automatically? I don't see the necessity, usually a quick operstion

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #571 on: February 20, 2017, 02:02:58 PM »
something powerglide based that would shift on the fly under power would shave some time and be bombproof but probably not worth the weight and driveline length since a transfer case gear or chain drive would still be needed. Would be the size of a 203 or more.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

TrailTamer

« Reply #572 on: February 20, 2017, 02:42:00 PM »
something powerglide based that would shift on the fly under power would shave some time and be bombproof but probably not worth the weight and driveline length since a transfer case gear or chain drive would still be needed. Would be the size of a 203 or more.

Engineering is a beautiful thing.

tap auto trans's line pressure with a solenoid to flow or release the pressure to the range box. most likely use planetary gear set out of automatic transmission, then use piston and such, and more?

I think this is where the new 6L80, 6L90, the newer 6 speed GM auto trans come in picture, no fancy range box or doubler needed.

6L80 is used in 1/2 ton GM trucks and some cars, so they're going to be plentiful

first gear is 4.027 with double over drive, 0.852 (5th) 0.667 (6th)

compared to the ancient 3 speed TH400 with first gear at 2.48, third gear (direct) at 1:1.

Novak shows 6L80 to be shorter than TH400, even.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/automatic/6l80

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/automatic/th400/

They're relatively bulletproof in stock form IIRC.  8)

*end thread derail*

Harrison

« Reply #573 on: May 07, 2017, 11:16:00 AM »

Harrison

« Reply #574 on: May 07, 2017, 06:58:53 PM »
Pleasantly surprised with that weight after it weighed in at 4900 a few years ago.

4.3 Atlas worked great. Front output is now closer to front axle and higher, front driveshaft double cardan not happy even after some grinding for clearance. Ordered fancy Tom Woods offset u joint to run at case front output with single joint shaft. They claim 45* with yoke grinding.

Had issue stalling and backfiring out intake under medium and heavy load at low RPM twice in a row running Gauntlet backwards. Weak fuel pump? MAP sensor or something else that helps engine react to load?

Gauge cluster dead this winter after sitting in trailer for 3 months. Going to try cleaning terminals and reinstall, if no change it's getting my old cheap tablet and wireless OBD reader like Mark and Dennis run.

Got new rear shackle boxes and frame section, some new driveshafts, windshield pulled, cooler stack, fan and shroud, headed panel mounted to fender tube after roll smooshed stock rad support.

Ready for another season of abuse!

Harrison

Time for Tons
« Reply #575 on: January 04, 2018, 08:55:05 PM »
Suckdown winch setup. Need a better way to double strap on itself other than the bolts I’m thinking.

Only real upgrade on the list for this winter. Dozen or so maintenance items and it’s ready for another year of abuse.

I think I have decided a Unimog portal axle moon buggy is the next big move. This hawg is slated for a few more years of fun though.

Harrison

« Reply #576 on: January 04, 2018, 09:02:41 PM »
Hoping to make things like this a bit more stable.

Still can’t believe I thought committing to that climb was a good idea.

Nick

« Reply #577 on: January 04, 2018, 10:44:28 PM »
Dakota 2.0 is looking good   :P

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #578 on: January 05, 2018, 07:33:30 AM »
Indeed!

Pipe/tube with a couple bearings, full of grease in vain attempt to not have it seize up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

Harrison

Time for Tons
« Reply #579 on: January 18, 2019, 07:05:57 PM »
Can I ignore this?

Not ready to build a buggy yet More patching to come!

Edit: started this thread 6 years ago... dang.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 07:22:02 PM by Harrison »

TrailTamer

« Reply #580 on: January 18, 2019, 07:27:54 PM »
I’ll probably just ignore it especially if it’ll only see recreational wheeling and you’re going to build a buggy anyhow.

I kinda of made a mistake with my black XJ. Frame looked solid by just looking at it. In the end I probably easily replaced/plated at least 50% of frame.

Use this and give good whack in places and see where else are about to rot through and decide whether to patch or run as is?

Harrison

« Reply #581 on: January 18, 2019, 07:41:14 PM »
Unibodies seem to hide it well. Definitely shocked me when I saw it.

It’s getting some 1/8-3/16 patched over it. I’m not interested in looking for more work so that’s all I’m doing till the next spot pops up. This thing has taken so much abuse for years that I’m getting to the point where if it hasn’t been an issue yet... not sure I care. I don’t actually thing I could wheel this thing harder than I do. Needs to give me a couple-three more years of fun.

Callelle

« Reply #582 on: January 19, 2019, 05:16:46 AM »
I'll probably end up plating my inside rails while I have the axles out just to get it done and not have to worry about finding stuff like this later.