Author Topic: new house for mikemike  (Read 43649 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: new house for mikemike
« Reply #405 on: October 15, 2020, 05:31:58 PM »
freeze it?  it should be filled with glycol mix...?

plain tapwater.

passed look and sniff and feel tests, then tasted a tiny bit too, for good measure. If there was ever any glycol/alcohol/whatever in it, it's long gone.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

TrailTamer

« Reply #406 on: October 15, 2020, 05:58:58 PM »
Definitely anti-freeze it. Don’t want it to freeze ever, for in case there’s a deep freeze or if something fail or power outage and stop heating & potentially make the whole system a total loss.  :o

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #407 on: October 16, 2020, 10:06:23 AM »
ordered a tester, maybe I'll find a bit of propylene glycol in there. So many valves...
should be easy to purge loop by loop and drain the boiler if needed.
oh lord!

matt

« Reply #408 on: October 16, 2020, 12:17:38 PM »
Confirmed chimney stove pipe all fine. ordered new support and plug. There's a Selkirk part number on a band clamp, and it looks like the Selkirk pipe I bought for the furnace at Norman. I really hope that's correct.

Wasted a lot of time and effort trying to make my lil trencher. Design works, and strong enough, but single point hitch and lightweight tractor don't let me get to the 6" minimum depth I'm after. Especially when an 18" trencher rental is $66/4hr. I was hoping to direct bury pex for garden watering, too, and that's not placed yet. So I guess I'll have to change up priorities to get that done in one shot. 3pt hitch for the win.

Sounds like when we put the invisible fence in for my mom's dog.  Ended up using a planter unit from the farm, worked well.  After many failed attempts with other ideas.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #409 on: October 16, 2020, 06:35:57 PM »
Direct bury things are so much easier.

Wonder what I paid per foot for 1/2” pex compared to pvc conduit. Could just run that for the in-ground and transition somehow.
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #410 on: October 16, 2020, 08:47:31 PM »
94$ for a 500' roll of 1/2" pex on amazon i was paying

mr.mindless

• Administrator
new house for mikemike
« Reply #411 on: October 20, 2020, 08:05:06 AM »
Within a penny per foot of the pvc conduit that will also need the labor of fitting and glueing.
I think I spent $75 on my 300’ roll. Didn’t double check that price.

New chimney support on over the weekend, plug arrived yesterday. All good!
Finished cleaning the firebox yesterday and replaced bad fire bricks. Door gasket was needed but forgot cement. That’ll be here we’d and the last fireplace maintenance will be done until early summer when it becomes annual after burning season is done. Like it’s supposed to be as opposed to five years of neglect then many hours spent.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 08:08:27 AM by mr.mindless »
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #412 on: October 21, 2020, 08:21:20 PM »
Helped Keith’s buddy Jeff move a box van just now, brought home a couple grocery stock carts and low shelves as spoils of war. He used to own the save a lot in canandaigua. Auction leftovers.

If anyone needs some probably 0awg heavy strand wire, speak up. There’s a few 15ish foot sections I left for him to scrap. It’s roughly the size stuff I have on 100a service between panels, I don’t expect to need any of that.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #413 on: October 22, 2020, 08:09:18 AM »
If anyone needs to run thermostats I have at least 500’ of 5 wire 22awg building control wire. It was a 1000’ spool. The black wire in the bundles is good thhn I think 12ga. The red stuff feels real stiff and dumb.

I sorted out all the conduit connectors from smike and have good inventory in that too. Mostly 1/2” emt.

oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #414 on: October 22, 2020, 09:00:30 AM »
those carts went for stupid money on that auction, i could not believe it.  good score if you got them! 

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #415 on: October 22, 2020, 09:14:27 AM »
There were three of those left at the store, keith took the third. Either they were not picked up (like the box van - it sold for $1200 but buyer couldn’t get a known-bad brake line replaced, so forfeit purchase and left it) or held back from auction for store tear down.

There’s one other maybe good to someone item, a probably 200 gallon heat recovery tank. Water in/out for domestic hot water or hydronic heat and an exchanger loop from hydronic heat or refrigeration return respectively.

It had been in use recovering heat from coolers for a warming loop.

Exactly what i want to loop engine coolant through for domestic hot water in joe, but at least 4x too big.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
new house for mikemike
« Reply #416 on: October 23, 2020, 12:26:56 AM »
First fire in the wood stove tonight. Takes a bit to get a draught going through that big ass chimney. Smoked the fire out the first attempt by closing the door too soon.

Realized there are NO hvac vents in the basement at all. Things to adjust when redoing the ceiling, I guess. I was going to make sure cold air returns were open to spread the heat through the house.

Silliness.

I keep fixing that silliness – like this is a forever house or something. The next folk will really have everything tweaked exactly how I wanted it. Remote temperature sensor for the main thermostat connected too. Need to figure a permanent spot and run a wire. Shame the wireless sensor wasn’t as easy as expected. Damn complicated model range.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 12:29:53 AM by mr.mindless »
oh lord!

etk300ex

« Reply #417 on: October 23, 2020, 09:22:27 AM »
It never ends!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr.mindless

• Administrator
new house for mikemike
« Reply #418 on: October 23, 2020, 08:17:12 PM »
Diesel fueling station nearly done. 25gpm clearwater pump is a little aggressive. Took a bath priming it. Had second filter drain open to bleed and I was too slow when it caught. Have two drips. Took them apart once already to add a few more tape layers. Need a hook for the nozzle. Maybe need a support for the filter stack.

Pics later. Phone had gone dead. 
6.8 gallons filled the mower.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #419 on: October 24, 2020, 10:45:56 PM »

First of new shelving up. I have two more legs that length, and a bunch half that.
I don’t think they’re heavy duty enough for full barrels on top.

I think I want to tuck the fuel oil tank between the heater tank and furnace. It fits between the legs. Dealing with full totes at a time instead of barrels seems better. Reducing floor footprint of stored fuel seems worth some effort.
oh lord!