Author Topic: TFT The not white unibody  (Read 20630 times)

TrailTamer

Re: TFT The not white unibody
« Reply #180 on: June 04, 2019, 01:17:42 PM »
Don’t have to be a pipe to go over the pinion. Alternatively Use a bearing separator, put pinion shaft down and bearing to sit on separator, press down on pinion head.

I’m pretty sure I have a piece of pipe for this, and I have a bearing separator too. Lmk if you’ll like to borrow.

By the way master ball joint adapters kit double as bearing press adapters lol. 

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: June 04, 2019, 01:46:54 PM »
i use harbor freight chisels to press bearings on and off.  no issues ever.  with all things involving a hammer, you cant been a moron. 

i do have full setup bearings for any and every axle i would ever work on also. 

TrailTamer

« Reply #182 on: June 04, 2019, 05:35:07 PM »
Big 2 jaw puller is where it’s at. Hopefully it fits.

i have this one. work excellent, zero deflection whatsoever. pricey to buy new tho

https://store.snapon.com/Pitman-Arm-Pullers-Puller-Pitman-Arm-Domestic-Cars-Light-Trucks--P635355.aspx

Callelle

« Reply #183 on: June 04, 2019, 08:14:53 PM »
i use harbor freight chisels to press bearings on and off.  no issues ever.  with all things involving a hammer, you cant been a moron. 

i do have full setup bearings for any and every axle i would ever work on also.

how do you press them on with chisels? Don't you want/need equal pressure around it?

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: June 04, 2019, 11:05:50 PM »
its a hardened steel bearing race that does not give a single fuck about what you are doing to it compared to any materials around it

Harrison

« Reply #185 on: June 05, 2019, 10:09:59 AM »
its a hardened steel bearing race that does not give a single fuck about what you are doing to it compared to any materials around it

Are you saying you tap it around in a circle? Press fit stuff usually likes to get loaded pretty straight, usually I just take a piece of tube with ID/OD that lands on the inner race and send it home with a hammer or use the press.

Callelle

« Reply #186 on: June 10, 2019, 12:19:27 PM »
Got the 60 done this weekend, lucked out and got a good pattern and backlash on first shot. Would have worked on getting the tie rod and assist cylinder mount made but I had to work on a friends car to make a bit of money. Next weekend should be that, clean up and paint, finish last little bit on frame rail, and reassembly.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: June 10, 2019, 01:17:16 PM »

Are you saying you tap it around in a circle? Press fit stuff usually likes to get loaded pretty straight, usually I just take a piece of tube with ID/OD that lands on the inner race and send it home with a hammer or use the press.

get it started and hit it with a chissel, if it get stuck, hit it 180 from that point.   usually pinion heads for aftermarket like 4.88 or 5.38 on most axles are small enough you can do the same for bearing removal.  stock big pinion heads you need multiple chisels in another prioritary process to remove pinion bearings :) 

i dont like those pullers that evenly pull on the cage.    Erik and Brett have them i believe. 

Harrison

« Reply #188 on: June 10, 2019, 02:17:49 PM »
Got it.

Dan has had one of these for years. Not sure if that’s what you mean. I think it’s the tits.

https://www.yukongear.com/productdetails.aspx?ProdID=5277

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: June 10, 2019, 02:45:33 PM »
yup, those.  i like to feel what im doing and stop before damage occurs, not just pull a trigger.  but everyone figures out the best way for them. 

TrailTamer

« Reply #190 on: June 11, 2019, 02:43:37 PM »
Got it.

Dan has had one of these for years. Not sure if that’s what you mean. I think it’s the tits.

https://www.yukongear.com/productdetails.aspx?ProdID=5277

I learned quick after a few of cages blown apart and rollers scattered across the bench. That happen from user error. 

I love mine.

Callelle

« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2019, 11:33:23 PM »
Holy hell, it's been a month since I've written anything about this. Today was a bit of a milestone, but first I'll go over what's happened since my last post. Gearing the axles took way longer than I had hoped it would take just due to scheduling and a few hiccups while doing it. After I had gotten them back and started to get them back under the Jeep, I had expected smooth sailing, it certainly wasn't that.

First off, and probably the biggest thing, is that I'm losing my shop. Even though I've been off on my own for a while, mom decided she wasn't interested in the house being by herself, put it up for sale, and accepted a good offer. While this is great for her, it's not so good for me. When she told me about her accepting the offer, I was told I had 6 weeks to get my Jeep done and my shop packed and moved out. To most people, that would probably be plenty of time to finish re-assembly, but I'm not most people. First off, the original axle shafts wouldn't fit into the locker, even after getting some replacement side gears. I even tried a friends spare shafts and they wouldn't fit. Cora recommended that I should get new shafts, because of the age of the original ones, they could have been just different enough to be causing the issue. After some hesitation over money, I decided to commit and got a set of chromoly yukon shafts, 35 spline outers, and Yukon hardcore hubs. They were something I planned on doing next winter anyway and I was running out of time and options. Along with that, I was / am having issues with the drag link binding at full droop. My links are pretty much flat while at ride height but it seems like they run out of travel awfully quick. I have some ideas as to what it could be and how to remedy it, I have to do some testing to know for sure, but I may just throw some limit straps on it and deal with it for now. I've also had some issues with brake parts that I didn't know about slowing down assembly such as the caliper guide pin bolt missing, of which was never there to begin with because today when I went to install it, the remains of the shaft were still in there.

Anyway, today she finally sat on all 4 wheels on her own weight. The "to do" list is slowly getting shorter and shorter. What I figure I have left to do is run the brake lines and bleed, install the front driveshaft, order and install rear shocks, get the steering sorted (may be putting assist on hold depending on time just to get it mobile), secure the gas tank in the back, finish welding the steering/trackbar links, and paint the 60. Although it seems like a short list, as of now, I've got 2 weeks to finish it AND pack the shop up. Should be fun, fingers crossed  ::)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 11:35:47 PM by Callelle »

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #192 on: July 15, 2019, 08:20:07 AM »
Disheartening to lose the workspace, for sure. Make a couple of priority lists and hit the critical stuff first. It is going to be a busy couple of weeks for you...
Retired

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: July 15, 2019, 08:45:58 AM »
Definitely a busy couple weeks. Good luck with all
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

Callelle

« Reply #194 on: July 21, 2019, 08:54:37 PM »
Got the assist mounts made and tacked on today. Lines are ordered, running brake lines and what not tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk