Author Topic: 571  (Read 92614 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: 571
« Reply #885 on: June 13, 2017, 01:03:48 AM »
Note to self: washer pump run off same switch as muncher to douse the camera lens. I bet that would be perfect in a mud race. Maybe not so hot in a dust race but mud is 90% of what we do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

gif

« Reply #886 on: June 13, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »
First half a lap
https://youtu.be/uIqNVSQXqs4

cool  i always wondered what the track/race was like.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #887 on: June 17, 2017, 08:28:22 PM »
Smoke show :(
Sill starting 100%  consistently, but smoke is very bad. No miss. Oil smoke. This is a rev just before I shut it down. Was fresh off a cold start, but still... uugh.

oh lord!

Nick

« Reply #888 on: June 17, 2017, 10:28:19 PM »
Sweet smoke screen

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #889 on: June 17, 2017, 11:34:57 PM »
sweet vw yard

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #890 on: June 20, 2017, 11:17:14 AM »
Without having a chance to shake this thing down this past weekend I guess I'm just going to loosen and tighten all major electrical connections and pretend it's fine.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to put in my camera sprayer idea, and then be ready to run.

I'm codriving at Attica this weekend, have a NC run next weekend followed by seeing Kim's family over the 4th, and hitting Keith's birthday party on the 8th. Not much prep time and no shakedown.

- patch tire
- power steering pump swap
- new belt
- check wiring shit
- new cutoff switch
- radio transmit switch
- swap seat
- fasten tins
- fluid check
- camera sprayer
- tools/spares/fluids on board
- curse jack, impact, codriver situation if I get another flat
- podium
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #891 on: July 14, 2017, 08:55:11 PM »
Last Minute rolls south in the morning. Heavy gauge wiring battery to hot post is replaced, had 3 rusty ring terminals. All else looked decent.

Was still at 11.8v, unplugging the alternator made zero difference to idle load or voltage so it got replaced.
 12.7 now at full load at idle.

My spare that had been a squeaker was small case (so would change belt length) and seized wile sitting.

Siren had a blown fuse. Finally found it.

Camera squirter set up. Should have full race video if it works. I'll have to figure out how to make that into a story someday instead of just posting 2hr of footage like I did from badlands.

Front tires are both leaking after having checked and set all pressures early in the week. Boo

Spare mounted and strapped. Anything wrong now is a surprise.

Going to roll in the morning unless I'm super energized after a shower.

oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #892 on: July 14, 2017, 08:56:13 PM »
Ps pump and pulley is all I didn't do from that last list. And podium. Yet.

Not terrible. For me.

oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #893 on: July 15, 2017, 08:28:36 PM »
Wasted effort, kinda. Identical results to last race.

LF flat on i80 on lap 2 of 4, changed it, voltage sitting well under 10v. Tried not to stall it and failed -- needed a jump. Which is exactly when the same neighbor who helped me change my flat last race arrived. Haha

Successfully jumped with no drama at all after helping another racer change a flat, so that's a big change. Sitting at 12.0v after restarting. Hmm...

1 mile or so to electrical smoke from master kill area. Source not identified quickly enough not to kill it, so killed it. No fire.

When I replaced the kill switch I used the small lugs for the charge wire as directions state is possible. I like the idea of being able to kill batt voltage to the charge lug. When assembling I did have a very small arc through my ratchet to a shift lever on one of those lugs.

Findings were that the jumper from the small lug to the battery side cable was the smoke source. 10ga wire lost all insulation. Only damage was a severed wire to muncher+squirter button.

The muncher died right before I got my flat. I haven't checked the fuse yet to see if it blew or if that was the wire melting that killed it.

The ring terminal on the melted wire was loose. The terminal is now loose in the brand new shutoff switch too. I know I put a ratchet to it on assembly yesterday. Root cause is murky on that. Definitely killed the disconnect switch though. The one I replaced is probably fine.

Also found all tie rod heims are shot, and one loose 7/8 bolt on the arm. Need fine thread there, or maybe double shear it.

I stripped the wire coming direct from the alt and jammed it onto the lug on the battery side, and had 13.3 as soon as i got it  started.

Since my race went up in smoke I traded a lot of time helping a busted chop top xj get back to pits. He had a flat, lost his spare, was overheating and needed water, had a fuel problem, was stuck, and lost a rear wheel halfway back. His day may have been worse than mine. Oh, and he peeled the drain plug out of the pan in the last mile or so into start/ finish. Even with a bare wheel I only had to push him 2-3 times. Not a bad driver at all.

Really cool guy. Second race ever, runs the shaved ice trailer there. Has another food truck too. Lives in Coal twshp and rides at aoaa. I guess I have a shaved ice hookup now?

oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #894 on: July 16, 2017, 06:13:49 PM »
complaint my shoulders are sharing today: WAY too much feedback in the steering.

everything I was just reading says non-load reactive get really scary at speeds above 60ish. LM sounds like a great place to have a non reactive valve, then!

I could move my tie rods out to the stock location and loose a little steering speed but gain back a lot of mechanical advantage. I wonder if that's worth a shot.

I found nothing about getting less feedback.
I'm also not at all sure how pressure & flow affect it. I still haven't changed my pump. that'll get done soon.

At least it's clean and not on fire.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #895 on: July 24, 2017, 12:35:43 PM »
https://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Maxxis-37X12-50R17LT-Tire-Trepador-Radial-TL30026000.aspx

retail price on these units is not much more than my best price on the Open Country MT

D vs E, probably a little less sidewall and I'm already killing sidewalls.

Hmm
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #896 on: July 24, 2017, 01:08:49 PM »
not sure if the 5 Joe got sitting in my shed are the DOT pattern or look more like mine.  i thought his were pushing 420 a tire

Ryan

• M4wd Vendor
  • Superstar
    • Lifetime LED
« Reply #898 on: July 25, 2017, 10:53:43 AM »
I can get them from Transamerican. Might save a few bucks per tire.

It is the radial, I have them on my YJ. I would rather have the bias, more side lug.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #899 on: July 25, 2017, 11:23:16 AM »
Is there a DOT bias? No stickies in 4800. I think dot bias is what Karl just got.

oh lord!