Author Topic: lowboy  (Read 29380 times)

M4wdFab

• Administrator
Re: lowboy
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2017, 10:07:50 AM »
have the decking you want sheared at KSD to width
4-5 guys on a saturday could strip decking, knot wheel,  weld, and paint in a Saturday
you could have it wired sunday.
do it in my lot if you want- Matt and I could help along with Brett, im sure a few others that have used the trailer.

just need to plan and execute. 
i wouldnt bother with POR and top coat.  mop on some black rustoleum and call it good for another 5 years. 

TrailTamer

« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2017, 10:18:59 AM »
Well said Smike. Paint choice is entirely up to MikeMike. Although POR-15 or Chassis Saver will make it to look good much much longer, mainly because it's hard to stop rust completely with ordinary paint. It will keep the new deck from rot on bottom for sure.

My POR-15'd D80 in the dodge still look perfect after 3 winters and over 50k miles.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2017, 10:26:03 AM »
I was thinking roll rustolium or spray thinned rustolium, either with enamel hardener added. Would be nice to find roll on etching primer.

Was also thinking shortcut to just needle scale and wire wheel rust and paint over existing paint.

Agreed it's a weekend or three day job especially w some help. It shouldn't really be THAT bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2017, 10:34:00 AM »
i like the rustoleum, it bonds to rust, mud, oily steel much better where POR will just flake and peel.  the level of prep (and huge material cost)  to get a functional POR coating is not practical for a trailer in my opinion. 

spraying underside will speed process, while rolling top side and flat surfaces will speed there.

i would guess 2+ gallons to do that trailer also. 

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2017, 10:34:35 AM »
Me too. Lots of surfaces.

oh lord!

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #140 on: September 15, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »
sandblast
I never wanted a red car.. always thought they were tacky and common...
I now have 4 very not common cars and they are all red.. :o

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2017, 11:01:06 PM »
Winch dead. It clicks only. Will test with charger hooked up. Maybe the battery is just shot and I had super low voltage. Brakes were good though. Hmm.

Gotta do the deck, I’m tired of bridging rot with 2x6s, it’s a little embarrassing. I think complete usage has been achieved. Ordering steel Monday, and probably call around for blasting options and maybe paint too depending on price. Probably start stripping this weekend. I’m sure it’ll take a full day plus to completely strip decking wiring lights brakes and winch. Even if it doesn’t I’ve got more than plenty else to do.

Might go to Attica and scare jeeps Sunday?

oh lord!

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2017, 08:13:46 PM »
I got a guy. Perhaps this could be a maint charge?
Buying this round of fall cars
I never wanted a red car.. always thought they were tacky and common...
I now have 4 very not common cars and they are all red.. :o

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: October 14, 2017, 08:51:13 PM »
Make an intro Monday? Or just shoot me contact info...

oh lord!

TrailTamer

« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2017, 11:23:23 AM »
great chingrish on an amazon ad for a solar battery maintainer that I'm about to buy (5w for $20, hoping to wire it in and hopefully make trailer batteries last a lil longer):

https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-Portable-Battery-Charger-Batteries/dp/B015ZGDYII/ref=sr_1_3

I'm not sure why you posted that on dumb cl thread. Anyway, I was reading through HF's wireless winch remote reviews and one reviewer said the controller is a parasite draw to the battery. For the time being I'll just disconnect the battery when not in use. I'll add a small switch to the solenoid box to cut off power to the controller to keep it from killing the battery while sitting for extended period of time and to avoid accident winch operation. My multimeter is dead so I can't just check the amp draw right now to confirm.

Other option is to do like what I did when I installed my battery box. I put the quick disconnect 'harness' to the battery for my battery trickle/maintainer charger (cost like $20 from TSC, work GREAT).

TrailTamer

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2017, 01:08:02 PM »
I'm not sure why you posted that on dumb cl thread.

because it was a seller looking stupid, that's all.

My winch is only connected when in use, the reason for swapping cables back and forth is that my previous brake pump warned of voltage spikes from winch operation being a potential killer, so it gets swapped back and forth. I do wonder if the brake controller is a tiny parasitic draw, I have not checked. It sits for long periods disconnected and I seem to kill a battery per year on it, so this would be an easy addition while not requiring anything to be plugged in while parked. If it works well I'll make it a standard feature on anything with a house battery (popup if I keep it, real battery on the enclosed for at least lights while parked and disconnected even if I never outfit the damn thing)
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
trailer temp
« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2017, 09:17:23 AM »
Trailer decking was just moved to immediate importance. Going to try to do it today and tomorrow. Klein has ignored my electronic communications, I’m going up to order steel in person as soon as I finish breakfast.

Probably just chip bad rust patch with rustolium given timelines.

oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
Re: trailer temp
« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2017, 09:57:12 AM »
need help?  couple guys could make quick work. 

get klein to shear down 8 or 10' sheets to strips as wide as the deck?

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: trailer temp
« Reply #149 on: November 28, 2017, 10:18:11 AM »
Yes, of course.

Just picked out paint. Going to strip and chip and donframe paint today. Hoping I can paint back of decking pre install. Will advise....

Going to rewire from underneath later I guess. Unless I’m left without things to do due to materials at some point.

oh lord!