Author Topic: lowboy  (Read 29487 times)

M4wdFab

• Administrator
Re: lowboy
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2015, 04:38:33 PM »
not a terrible price for a 1 year old trailer.  would be nicer if it had tandem 10Ks with 19.5's and hydro brakes instead of tripple 7s

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2015, 12:52:14 PM »
Melted some marker light wiring again. Far rear marker shifted up, and its power shorted to the edge of the hole. Fixed again.

I want to run some plastic conduit the length of both sides for carrying the wires to eliminate short points even if wires do chafe through. I also want to switch to flush 3/4" grommet mount markers to eliminate that failure point.

Both of those changes are slated for re-deck time, along with welding shut any unneeded holes in the frame and reworking the inner fenders. I don't see a need to deck it any wider.

I'm looking for ideas on painting and rust cleanup for the project. I think I'm settled on a paint process for the final product (hplv spray  some rustolium or implement black, w hardener) but:

- what can I do to clean up the existing structure? It has some rust showing through and needs some love. Tow it to someone, un-decked and stripped, and have it blasted? Same, but with the new decking installed, and just have them paint it too? I got a quote for $90/hr actual time for that work once. No idea how long it takes though.

- if I paint it, what best to do where the decking meets the frame? Paint the frame and decking first and then touch up after welding and pretend the interior is fine? Somehow even though it's pretty rotten now I don't have any rust jacking between deck and beams. I'd like to keep it that way. Maybe I don't even need to worry about it.

Also, is anyone aware of self etching primer by the gallon to spray? I've only seen that in spraybomb.

Tapatalking in traffic
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

Nick

« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2015, 04:12:51 PM »
Give chad a call there was a guy in Syracuse we went to once that has a big sand blasting and painting operation that paints a lot of the DOT plows and their low boy trailers.  He had a combo for some crazy paint where he would actually warranty  his work for a bunch of years. Might be worth having it done professionally if you want to keep the trailer really nice

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2015, 04:29:39 PM »
That may be the way to go. The place I called was in Syracuse. Wonder if it was the same. I don't remember the name.

Tapatalking in traffic
oh lord!

jacel861

« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2015, 04:31:02 PM »
Not sure of their work, but there is one in Lyons too.  DeLoka i believe is the name.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2015, 11:03:07 PM »
Anyone you could ask around to feel out their value and quality of work?

I'm really leaning towards a solution at this point where I strip and replace the deck and drop it somewhere. It comes back pretty.

Bonus if they can work around wiring and brake lines but I could deal with replacing that later.

If I'm ambitious I'd pull the Ram flatbed and have it redone too. Rust under the powdercoat all over the place :(

Tapatalking in traffic
oh lord!

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2015, 07:23:12 AM »
Deloka has a very good reputation.  Classic car restorers use them.  I've used them for the truck-side plow frame on the Sierra (six years ago now?)  Exposure to all kinds of NY winter nasty and still looks good.  I was going to take the plow blade to them but it's too far gone to care...
Retired

JEEPWERX

• Friendly Competitor
  • Friendly Competitor!
    • JEEPWERX
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2015, 02:09:11 PM »
The prices I received for sand blasting and painting cora's 16ft flatbed trailer were in the 1200 range. We were originally discussing having it done after stripping wood deck and removing all wiring and then re installing all new.
Final decision was cheaper and less time involved to sell the trailer and invest the money in a new purchase.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

JEEPWERX

• Friendly Competitor
  • Friendly Competitor!
    • JEEPWERX
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2015, 02:11:49 PM »
This is what I like for running trailer lighting wires http://www.homedepot.com/p/AFC-Cable-Systems-1-2-in-x-100-ft-Non-Metallic-LiquidtightConduit-6002-30-00/202286688

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2015, 02:24:34 PM »
ouch! That's pretty insane, I can buy some fresh wire cups and a lot of beer and pizza for that price. But I can't do it when it's raining or snowing or cold :-\
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2015, 02:30:26 PM »
pull the deck off

strip the junk wiring

wire cup wheel it

paint the trailer and bottom of new deck.  KSD can shear a stack of panels to size

weld

finish painting.

Spray the frame, and roll on the deck black rustollum. 

could be done in a Saturday, and rewired Sunday. 

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2015, 02:35:34 PM »
Not free until 12/5, unless kim and I only head up to her folks for one day on thanksgiving weekend.

Probably has to wait for spring unless warm weather lasts into december for some reason.
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2016, 03:49:29 PM »
Link to brakes you have?

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2016, 03:54:02 PM »
dexter actuator from etrailer
kodiak brand brakes, cheapest coating option since I'm not dunking it in saltwater (only driving in its spray)

http://www.kodiaktrailer.com/

etrailer sells them, they sell direct, eastern marine usually has great prices on things as well. sets vs piecemeal prices sometimes go either way.
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2016, 04:04:33 PM »
how do you choose 1000-1600psi?