Author Topic: High Miler  (Read 85810 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: High Miler
« Reply #540 on: June 16, 2016, 07:00:59 PM »
southbend dual disk will get whatever it needs, not going backwards to stock dual mass crap - but thank you anyway!
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #541 on: June 16, 2016, 10:31:17 PM »
I assumed as much.   Just curious if we would have qoh
I never wanted a red car.. always thought they were tacky and common...
I now have 4 very not common cars and they are all red.. :o

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #542 on: June 16, 2016, 10:48:55 PM »
isnt spencer the 5600 man?

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #543 on: June 16, 2016, 11:26:38 PM »
Nv5600 != g56

Tapatalking in traffic
oh lord!

KingtheZJ

« Reply #544 on: June 17, 2016, 07:26:18 AM »
jig tool looks necessary to me.

I'm willing to assist as needed. feel free to borrow my press that has the modified "table" for pressing large gears.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #545 on: June 17, 2016, 09:44:14 AM »
Jig definitely looks necessary for a one-shot re-shim. Not sure I could fake that with some accurate measuring method and playing it with different shim options and measuring endplay sounds dumb. I need the actual needed measurements too. I sent a PM to that guy, he's on Grand Island. Still active on the site so I've got fingers crossed.

I expect to need to replace bearings ($120 on fleabay, should just push the button and resell later if they're all fine) and I expect to have excessive input shaft play which indicates need to re-shim.

I hope to find all gears spinning smoothly on the mainshaft and to have no chipped or pitted teeth. I have no synchro complaints at all, so as long as they all spin smoothly and the mainshaft looks good I'm not going to pull anything off.
oh lord!

Harrison

« Reply #546 on: June 17, 2016, 10:15:18 AM »
I expect to have excessive input shaft play which indicates need to re-shim.

What is considered excessive? I checked mine with motor out, no in/out but probably has 1/16" - 1/8" in either direction of float. Didn't find much info on it, aside from post 2 in this thread which was enough for me to stop worrying about it.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/530681-g56-imput-shaft.html

If you are talking about side to side to play with the G56 actually REMOVED from the truck, some movement is actually ineveitable, because the front of the shaft is no longer supported by the oem bushing at the center of the dual mass flywheel. In ohter words, with the tranny removed from the truck, the entire input shaft is supported ONLY by the main bearing at the back of the bellhousing, which is actually near the center of the shaft (in terms of length) so when you move the front of the shaft from side to side, it WILL move, though when installed, it no longer can move because it is supported by the bushing at its very front tip. I hope that makes sense.

None of that is to say that should be ALOT of side play when checking for play with the tranny removed. When my G56 was out of the truck for a clutch upgrade, I could move the front of the shaft almost more then 1/8" in each direction, though NOT in and out. The dealer and 2 different tranny shops told me that this was normal, so I finished the job, re-installed the G56, and have absolutely NO shifting problems or noises.

Another way to check for bearing wear in the input shaft bearing is to look for discoloration of the bearing or tranny case from overheating, or actaul stress cracks in the case where the bearing sits, or even check to see if the actual bearing is loose or not properly seated in the tranny case. Those ARE signs of too much wear from overheating or overpowering the aluminum case of the G56. Also, IIRC, there should be NO end play (in and out)

Hope that helps some.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #547 on: June 17, 2016, 10:29:01 AM »
service manual. boom.
http://docslide.us/documents/dodge-g56-service-manual.html

reading up on
ADJUSTMENTS
MAINSHAFT/COUNTERSHAFT BEARING PRELOAD
CAUTION: This procedure must be performed any time a mainshaft, countershaft or input shaft bearing or shaft is replaced. Failure to follow these instructions will result in damaging the transmission.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #548 on: June 17, 2016, 10:57:40 AM »
special tool problem solved. retail on that bitch is near $500!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162086462523
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #549 on: June 17, 2016, 02:05:28 PM »
I expect to have excessive input shaft play which indicates need to re-shim.

What is considered excessive?

Service manual indicates shimming to zero clearance on the bearings, so no in/out would be the key.

Tapatalking in traffic
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #550 on: June 18, 2016, 07:45:57 PM »
 Found this upon starting work on removal. Good sign to see mixed fresh/old hole in a trans case, right?

Then I got it out and found the bad stuff

Source:

Intermediate disc disintegrating at the pins

Throwout bearing spins smooth but very dry. Fingers not happy with it.

Starter teeth warn pretty badly. Flywheel is fighting coming off the crank so I haven't checked it's teeth carefully yet

Gif, you up for a little aluminum welding project? :(

Tapatalking in traffic
oh lord!

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #551 on: June 18, 2016, 08:30:00 PM »
44 fiestas
5 sprinters
2 NPRs
Cargo vans
Numerous Jeeps

Yup.  I see it  ;)
I never wanted a red car.. always thought they were tacky and common...
I now have 4 very not common cars and they are all red.. :o

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #552 on: June 18, 2016, 08:32:42 PM »
44? Damn! I didn't even know I was that productive L*

Tapatalking in traffic
oh lord!

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #553 on: June 18, 2016, 08:38:41 PM »
Wow, that's ugly...  :(
Retired

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #554 on: June 19, 2016, 12:05:05 AM »
No need for welding the bell housing back together. Going to see if I can find a fresh front housing. How much I'm willing to spend on that depends on what south bend says about the clutch. Not sure if I qualify for the $600 reman price with that sort of damage.

Countershaft bearing boss is full of cracks. I thought at first they might be casting marks but some show through to the other side.

5th gear has 2 chipped teeth. I guessed that was the case when I bought the truck. Amazing the countershaft looks fine. Countershaft 6th has one tiny burr, no damage on 6th. Bearings all look perfect, nothing cooked nothing rough nothing of note.

Tapatalking in traffic
oh lord!