Author Topic: TFT The not white unibody  (Read 20374 times)

Callelle

Re: TFT The not white unibody
« Reply #195 on: July 30, 2019, 11:49:29 AM »
This thing is out of the shop! And it is a straight, smooth 60mph cruiser. I drove it home last night and was really surprised at how normal it felt. The steering is a bit more touchy, but she had no problem with the cruise control on at 60. I did need to cut one of the front cage supports off and trim the bumper (will trim the fenders in the front to match), and the brakes need a bit of tweaking, but other than that it's drivable. For wheeling status I need to install limit straps to not destroy the steering, and I need to adjust the transfer case linkage. Currently will not engage into 4 low, I'm assuming that's from the new transfer case mount I installed. Overall I'm really, really happy with how it came out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 11:51:03 AM by Callelle »

cracker

• Free Loader
« Reply #196 on: July 30, 2019, 12:18:51 PM »
congrats!

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #197 on: July 30, 2019, 12:30:30 PM »
Let's go wheelin!
Retired

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #198 on: July 30, 2019, 01:06:51 PM »
Congratulations on gittin er dun! There's no feeling quite like that first drive, and no feeling quite like 5 minutes in when it hasn't flown apart :)
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: July 30, 2019, 01:08:08 PM »
nice! 

dont be afraid to get long hydro hoses and run them all the way up the links and then back forward to keep them out of harms way.  if you dont know about surplus center check them out 15-25$ hoses any size.   my car has all 3 90" hoses that i run with and on board spare to fit any place. 

Callelle

« Reply #200 on: July 30, 2019, 08:03:38 PM »
Surplus center is where I got my lines, ram, and fittings. I had to zip tie the longer one to keep it out of the harmonic balancer, but I think it's okay now. Day 2 of driving on the road and I still can't get over how well it's road manners are. Limit straps ordered, once I get my shop packed up and set, I'll get to installing them and getting my transfer case linkage adjusted before I'm fully out.

Callelle

« Reply #201 on: August 08, 2019, 08:00:11 PM »
Installed the limit straps in, went over everything, and changed the oil. Only thing that loosened up was the vent tube fitting, which is now gone. Didn't have any fitting on hand that fit, currently has a plastic barb and some rubber tube wedged in and rtved until I notice it at some point in the future to fix it.

Got her red 2020 sticker today, twisted things up on the lift while I have it to check over everything. Fenders need to be trimmed more in the front, so that's an easy fix. The rear rubs on a smooth flat part of the cage so I'm unconcerned about that, 39s will require some cage modification and comp cut in the rear. Until then, I think she's ready to go. Shake down at the club picnic and rausch the weekend after. I can't wait.

Harrison

« Reply #202 on: August 08, 2019, 09:03:37 PM »
Awesome!!!

Callelle

« Reply #203 on: September 06, 2019, 01:41:08 PM »
Track bar bracket and frame rail borked

I was very happy with how this thing performed at rausch/aoaa, even with the breakage. Starting plans for a few small winter projects: New seats and 5 point harnesses, rebuild king pins and get a good high steer arm to fix binding issue for more down travel, possibly pulling drive line to plate inside of frame rails and clean up nastyness. Maybe gonna start seeing about bigger, stickier tires, though I was impressed with the 37" toyos I have now.

TrailTamer

« Reply #204 on: September 06, 2019, 03:10:01 PM »
Track bar bracket and frame rail borked

what did you do? I somewhat been expecting similar problem on my XJ but it's still going on strong after few trips to AOAA/RC and 10k miles of daily driving and zero issue, whatsoever.

Callelle

« Reply #205 on: September 06, 2019, 03:41:49 PM »
Metal around the welds gave

Callelle

« Reply #206 on: October 02, 2019, 08:01:29 AM »
Finally got around to fixing this thing. Bottom of the uni rail was pretty eaten away under the original track bar support plate. It was stupid to run it the way it was when I originally put it together but I was pressed for time with losing my shop. Plated the rail in 3/16 all the way around with a piece of 5/8 in the middle tying both sides together. Also added a small buttress to help distribute forces to the inside of the rail instead of just the outer bottom and outside. I may still add a support under the oil pan to the other side but I think this is plenty strong now. I miss welding under my lift, being on my back on the concrete blows, first world problems.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: October 02, 2019, 09:26:51 AM »
Much better!
oh lord!

Callelle

« Reply #208 on: October 17, 2019, 02:45:12 PM »
It's always the week before a trip -_-

Jeep is idling at 1500 rpm, won't shift out of 2nd. Most of this I'll probably ignore, I don't go beyond 2nd wheeling. The high idle would be nice to figure out.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #209 on: October 17, 2019, 02:49:01 PM »
vacuum leak?
oh lord!