Author Topic: TFT The not white unibody  (Read 20358 times)

Callelle

TFT The not white unibody
« on: October 04, 2016, 10:08:56 PM »
So this finally happened today, picked up this 14 bolt out of an 03 for $175 ( felt like it's too good of a deal to pass up considering it already has discs, but what do I know)

So I guess I'm finally starting what I've been talking about / wanting to do for a while. This won't be anything that happens quickly, probably going to just acquire and build through this winter and next while running on stock axles for 1 more year. Unless everything happens to either fall in my lap or my budget gets a sudden massive increase. Anyway, the plans for this are stupid simple, and probably don't even warrant a build thread, but I'm bored so what the hell. Suspension works as it is and I like it, so it will stay radius arms in the front and leafs in the back, possibly going to add a bit more lift to account for increased tire size. 14 bolt is said to have 4.10s, if it does and if what ever 60 I find has 4.10s, I'll just run those gears for now so that I can get it wheeling sooner (and cheaper). I don't know what 60 I'm going with, probably an 88-91 KP with a shortened passenger side tube, not opposed to a ball joint 60, what ever falls in my lap first. Lockers will be an Aussie in the front ( I think they have a 60 locker now, if not test bed ? ::) , Rear will be a detroit since Cora doesn't have a 14b locker (yet).  Front will be trussed to make link mounts easier, rear will just be getting a pinion guard and a shave. Tires will probably be 37s or 38s, what ever I can find cheap and used. Nothing fancy, I just want to have bigger stuff so I don't have to pucker out of trying things because I'm afraid of my 30 exploding if I look at it wrong. Long term plans would be ORIs front and rear, 5.13s, selectables, after I get a cage on it as well.

Wingman

• Free Loader
Re: TFT The not white unibody
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 10:14:13 PM »
Pass the popcorn...
Retired

Callelle

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 10:19:10 PM »
Hope you have a lot of it. Might want to grab some Weggie's chocolate oreos too.

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 10:35:33 PM »
 ;D
Retired

jacel86

• Free Loader
    • Tallmadge Tire
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 07:02:38 AM »

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 07:29:16 AM »
Until you break a 30 you don't know what they can't handle...
I never wanted a red car.. always thought they were tacky and common...
I now have 4 very not common cars and they are all red.. :o

wnyjpgy

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 07:29:27 AM »
that's a 10.5" ring gear 14 bolt out of a gas truck...right?

When I was searching for that axle (which there aren't a lot available reasonable), I found a lot of duramax ones with the non removable pinion support which have a 11.5" ring gear, they don't have as much aftermarket support as the 10.5" ring gear stuff.

Callelle

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 08:32:41 AM »
Until you break a 30 you don't know what they can't handle...

I've broken an 8.25 shaft, really don't want to deal with that 3 hour mess on the trail again, I'd rather just do what I'm going to do in the future anyway.

Yes, it's a 10.5, same as is under my 6.0 3/4 ton

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 08:49:56 AM »
this is deff the wrong crowd for pimping stock axles, but with stock power and daily driver tires a 30 will last.. (directly associated with driver intelligence.. like everything)

when my Jeeps saw more trail than garage miles, it was never a D30 that slowed down the group.
I think they get a bad wrap for no reason..

but i love a good axle build :)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 09:11:09 AM »
daily driver tires

key point.

they will last incredibly well on 35s (Keith) and a little while on 37s (MikeO) too. but once you're wanting 37s or 38s: it's time.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

Harrison

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 09:39:02 AM »
30s are fine as long as you are gentle and are OK keeping your Jeep out of terrain where a 30 doesn't belong. In my 30 days, I was OK at the first part and terrible at the second part.

You and I have discussed this before but aside from the fact that it means my Jeep fits between my enclosed trailer fenders (which is REALLY nice) I do not think I'd narrow a front axle again. At least not with aspirations for 40s, I'm making it work but they rub everything. Dan's fit with less lift, no way I'd get away with less than what I have now.

How wide is the rear anyway? My guess would be 67", in which case it's only 2" narrower than a front 60 will be. I made my 60 65" wide and my rear C&C 14b is 63" wide.

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 09:42:27 AM »
D30 is 30 min or less to trail repair...

Golden Goose still rocking a D30 (35s)
Whatever still had a D30 (35s)
Retired

Callelle

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 10:02:57 AM »
but once you're wanting 37s or 38s: it's time.

This. I'm still going to be rocking another year on my 30 w/ 35s, but I want bigger, I want to try harder stuff. More specifically, I want to try harder things without AS MUCH fear of breaking. I know a 30 isn't as much time to repair, but the 30 isn't the only axle in question. Everyone who saw me break the 8.25 said it shouldn't have, but it did, meaning it can happen again. Also, maybe I'm just getting tired of balancing an egg under my right foot  ::)

The reason I want to narrow it a bit is I don't really want one side sticking out more than the other, and at some point I would like to run enclosed. I haven't even come close to acquiring a 60 so plans may/can always change with it. If it's too much of a hassle with no return, then I wont bother.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 10:04:34 AM by Callelle »

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 11:43:26 AM »
you guys are bat shit crazy for wheeling anything smaller than tons and 40s

what a complete pain in the ass that was on the stupidest trails.

my 0.02$  lol

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 01:17:15 PM »
hunting with a bow vs. hunting with a bazooka...
both effective and cool in their own respects... (coming from a non hunter)

my .02 cents.  ;D