Author Topic: my extra garage space  (Read 5509 times)

carchameleon

• Free Loader
my extra garage space
« on: May 10, 2016, 09:17:49 AM »
We have been talking and we don't plan on ever moving from this house, we need some kind of storage space for the lawn stuff and my jeep/tools/ect.  This is the plan we came up with.

According to Brighton town code, I'm allowed to cover 25% of my lot sq.ft. with buildings, that leaves me space to put up a 24'x24' (no more than 16'tall) detached garage (can't be more than 600sf, it will be 576sf).  I have done a lot of research and talked to the town a bunch of times (actually nice people, very willing to help & answer my questions), once I submit the plans and permit application I should be able to get approved. 

I'm planning on doing the digging and forming before Troy comes to pour my slab.

After that I have been trying to figure out if we should buy a garage kit (there are a lot of options, some more cost effective than others...) or make a materials list from the plans and just make my own "kit".
I'm working on drawing up plans currently for what I want it to be.

Any suggestions/advice appreciated

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: my extra garage space
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 09:54:06 AM »
I would expect a kit to be very close in cost to raw materials at retail prices, that's been the case when I've sketched things out and compared.

I have not gone to a building supply place with a materials list and had them quote it, but if I were close to pulling the trigger on something I certainly would.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

Ryan

• M4wd Vendor
  • Superstar
    • Lifetime LED
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 10:08:57 AM »
You will need engineered stamped plans. A kit should have those. A 24x24 is common size. Should be easy to use some plans that are already done.

I would build a pole type building.  Instead of framing walls on a slab.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

luvmyxj

• Paying Customer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 10:31:08 AM »
I've done a few foundations where the homeowner does a kit from HD or Lowe's, they drop off the lumber already cut to fit and trusses ready to go, other then that I've seen on Pinterest and whatnot ppl enclosing those aluminium carports with t&g 1x6

carchameleon

• Free Loader
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 10:58:33 AM »
for a detached garage in Brighton i do not actually need engineered stamped plans. that is one of the things that I asked the town about.

Getting a kit from HD was a lot more than any of the kits I have found online, that is why I'm working on drawings and a materials list to make my own to compare with. 

Pole type buildings are when the vertical beams are cemented 4' into the ground correct?  is that what yours was ryan?

Ryan

• M4wd Vendor
  • Superstar
    • Lifetime LED
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 11:09:46 AM »
That is what mine was. Marks house is the same way.

That seems odd that they dont require plans to be engineered stamped.

carchameleon

• Free Loader
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 11:25:51 AM »
got it, I was going to ask Mark if his is.

I agree, but i specifically asked the town.  works for me

KingtheZJ

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 11:29:29 AM »
I dont think you want to actually put wooden posts in the concrete. better to pour concrete in the bottoms on the holes, let set and set the posts on top. then pack stone around them. this prevents the post sections that are encased in concrete from rotting due to trapped moisture. and why you see all posts that are encased in concrete rotted off right at ground level.

cracker

• Free Loader
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 12:13:45 PM »
if you use pressure treated posts the rotting is minimized.  Morton Building has been doing that forever and there building are guaranteed for 50 years

carchameleon

• Free Loader
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 01:26:48 PM »
why not do slab then bolt it?

is it less expensive to do the pole style?

CJ

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 01:40:11 PM »
This is the company that built Erik's pole barn: http://fingerlakesconstruction.com/

Call for a quote.

carchameleon

• Free Loader
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 01:47:30 PM »
thanks

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 01:54:08 PM »
don't forget about assessment...
an additional structure will force an assessment in Brighton..

factor your additional tax amount into the plan..
I never wanted a red car.. always thought they were tacky and common...
I now have 4 very not common cars and they are all red.. :o

jacel86

• Free Loader
    • Tallmadge Tire
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 02:18:59 PM »
Flc is going to run a touch high price wise, but they have rediculous resources at their disposal.  They're really pushing their SIPS panels so the pole barn business isn't their only focus anymore.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 02:22:28 PM »
I took our plans/sketches to FLC and they drew up the blueprints with the required engineering stamp.  But that mainly for the house.

FLC augers the hole, pours concrete in the bottom, waits for it to set, puts the post on top, and backfills with the same soil.  50 yr warranty.  No issues except for the soil settling at the posts (happens for years).

FLC was a great company to work with and did a quick and quality job.  There was a little bit of a premium though compared to the local contractors or Amish/Mennonite crew.  There was a pretty long lead time too.

Remember, it is a garage/shop and doesn't need to be perfect like you would want a house to be.  (that's my $0.02 opinion)
Retired