Author Topic: TurnedUp  (Read 58676 times)

Harrison

Re: TurnedUp
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2013, 08:49:11 AM »
Turbo on, it came from an auto though so it's a little smaller. Not complaining really, price was tough to beat for a known-good one. I may look into going back to stock or maybe a little larger once the dust has settled.

Gauges also on. No boost reading, I suspect I kinked the plastic line somewhere. I know I kinked it a couple times when I was fishing it around where it needed to go, hopefully straightening it back out is a sufficient fix. Pyro works and never went above 800 F on the test drive, and that was juicing it up a hill around 50mph in 5th.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2013, 09:09:07 AM »
800 seems way low for black smoke in it

is the probe before or after the turbo?

Harrison

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2013, 09:27:19 AM »
Manifold, right before the turbo. Unless you are intentionally lugging it with your foot on the floor, it does not blow smoke other than for a couple seconds when you first get on it.

Also, took the AFC off to get to the port in the manifold easier. Looks like everything is there, but the leg has been ground off. You were right, Mike.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2013, 09:53:56 AM »
800 seems way low for something getting out of its own way.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

Harrison

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2013, 09:57:59 AM »
Hmm. I will pay more attention when I'm driving home today...

Nick

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2013, 10:29:40 AM »
Moving my excavator around I usually hover around 700-900 degrees 900 will be pulling a decent hill at almost full throttle. The only place I have ever seen 1000 degrees is heading north on 15 climbing the hill before turkey ranch

Nick

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2013, 10:30:23 AM »
Mine is after turbo

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2013, 10:35:42 AM »
pushing 1000 post-turbo is a very reasonable temp. that'd be 1200-1300 preturbo, and we know you don't have a stock exhaust housing on yours so it'll be moving more through and staying cooler.

a stock HX35 on a truck with no fueling control shouldn't run that cool. maybe 4.10s and no load don't let it work or build heat? assuming it's 4.10s.
oh lord!

Harrison

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2013, 10:40:52 AM »
Definitely 4.10s. And I'm not sure what I have now, but this turbo is definitely a little smaller and I believe I should have had an HX35 before from the factory. I will say that it pretty much never bogs down at all, this is all unloaded of course. Even in 5th, when you lay into it the RPMs come up pretty fast. 3.55s or bigger tires might be a different story?

Mike, is DB 100% part-out status at this point? I'm on a shoestring budget until after Big Dogs, but I would be interested in your transfer tank and turbo if it is in good shape and larger than what I have now...

mr.mindless

• Administrator
TurnedUp
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2013, 11:52:58 AM »
It looks that way.

I made out a potential price list this morning, it probably needs some reality checking and adjustment but at least it's a starting point.

I think I put down 500 for turbo w the banks brake, and 200 for the xfer tank.

I think I paid 150 for the tank plus whatever into the install stuff, I don't remember on the brake.

I may or may not still have the exhaust exit housing that the banks brake replaces but you would have that of your bad hx35

I need to check and measure endplay on that for selling purposes eventually.
oh lord!

Harrison

TurnedUp
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2013, 11:23:21 PM »
Good to know mike, thanks. Idk when I'm gonna have spare cash to be honest, but I will try! Really want the transfer tank at least.

Got the boost gauge re-plumbed with 1/4" fuel hose. I read a lot of blah blah about hose expanding and not using it for boost gauges but I just don't see that thick of a wall swelling from 30-40lbs. In any event, that was the problem. Normal driving I'm maxing out at 25lbs, and I can hit 35 if I really try. The wastegate is welded shut on that turbo, might have forgotten to mention that.

Mike, aside from a 3k governor spring, what else have you done? It would appear that with removing all the idiot proofing (fuel plate, AFC, waste gate) its still pretty hard to get into a bad situation with an otherwise stock pump and turbo?

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2013, 09:16:42 AM »
are you a 215 pump or smaller?
probably stock sticks and DVs? (injectors and delivery valves)

my pump has stock DVs and a 4k GSK. on the original 12v and stock cam and stock sticks I could still hit 1200+ easily, but probably not while empty
oh lord!

Nick

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2013, 09:20:39 AM »
You really have to put some weight on the truck to work the motor enough to get a feel for what type of temps you will see.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2013, 09:53:58 AM »
Good to know mike, thanks. Idk when I'm gonna have spare cash to be honest, but I will try! Really want the transfer tank at least.

I think I have a local guy buying the brake. I'm asking 300 for the turbo and 200 for the tank, if you want to commit just throw me a couple bucks and I'll hold 'em.

and just make me a fair offer, those are "other people prices"
oh lord!

Harrison

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2013, 10:55:03 AM »
Mike, at this point I am feeling very non-commital even on the tank. Don't hold it for me, thanks though.

I am realizing that veg might not be a good option as a renter. No good place to store overflow and after visiting a local veg refiner's garage and having the smell in my nose for a long time after, I can see the living space above our garage smelling like that. Going to shoot for filtering and blending waste motor oil instead to just offset fuel costs. Throw 2-3 5 gallon buckets in before leaving and carry 2-3 with me to dump in for the trip back. No real need to carry 100 gallons around with me. Less smelly processing and collecting/using at my own pace.

On a side note, please feel free to save any waste MOTOR oil (gear oil is too heavy and ATF has some pretty nasty shit to be burning from what I'm reading) and bring it to Big Dogs and other wheeling events this summer.  ;D