Author Topic: lowboy  (Read 28945 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: lowboy
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2017, 10:58:18 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2017, 11:06:52 AM »
im going to say it again... your neighbors must love you
I never wanted a red car.. always thought they were tacky and common...
I now have 4 very not common cars and they are all red.. :o

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2017, 03:02:40 PM »
No paint yet. Welds 96-98% cleaned up. Inner frame 50% needle scaled. Back pain. Hangry. Lunch.

Lotsa neighborhator today with hours of needle scaler and grinder and compressor. 

Be a late night but should be able to finish loud work before dark, paint, at least place deck if not weld.

Meeting not looking good. Good for election. Ciest la vie

oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2017, 06:23:21 PM »
Insides and undersides all scaled and sprayed. First time with the HF HPLV gun. Once I figured out what was lose and sucking air instead of paint it laid nice. 4:1 black and acetone plus 2oz hardener per mixed quart. Have about 1.25 gal left. Will need more gardener and acetone before painting the rest but I see no reason to farm it out at this point.

Hopefully 35F is close enough to 50F. (Temp when I finished painting and recommended min temp). I don’t care about finish. Hopefully it cures right. The gardener is supposed to reduce dry time so I’m hoping that helped. I’ll need to trim the tails a bit. I think I can weld it all as I back it in next to the garage. Would rather it be blocked level as I weld but I’m sure it’ll be fine. No matter what I do it’ll be better than the brolite.

oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2017, 10:04:35 PM »
Didn’t quite get it done. Between 2&4 more hours of welding to do. Everything placed and tacked. Not quite trailerable yet but only a foot or two of bead and it will be. Going to be close on gas and wire both, I think. May visit m4 to wrap up if I kick consumables so I can be ready ASAP to pick up that tractor when it’s done.

I did a test secton on the goose uprights with paint over needled rust, I don’t think I like the inconsistency between coating over rust and good paint. Might get the top side blasted. Or might see how bad wire wheeling would be - not sure if anything but sand would get a consistent finish texture though.

oh lord!

Nick

« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2017, 10:25:51 PM »
Looks really good.  What about using a brush on hammered paint to get some texture in the paint to help hide stuff?

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: November 29, 2017, 10:40:53 PM »
I'd rather just roll or spray plain enamel with hardener. I'd also prefer a semigloss, but they didn't have any in gallons when I was shopping. I'll see how I feel about that once it's set up too.

I'll probably do a quickie top coat on the decking as soon as it's warm again too since I'll be towing in salt in the winter...
oh lord!

M

« Reply #172 on: November 30, 2017, 10:17:37 AM »
huge improvement already, keep it up

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: November 30, 2017, 10:43:13 AM »
HF sells the reflector tape if you didn't know already.   not DOT but reasonable$$ for something always way over priced. 

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: November 30, 2017, 11:18:54 AM »
it was on my Peterson list, didn't check the box for it yet. have all new wires, heat shrink connectors, lights.

don't have great options for wiring and brake lines that run down the right side. I got large stainless band clamps, was thinking about just welding them through the bolt hole but I figure I wouldn't get it painted well enough and they'd rot off quickly. so I was thinking of drilling/tapping frame or welding 1/4" bolts inside. all options seem like a lot of work, and more work now that decking is welded in.  I'll figure it out somehow. Saturday project hopefully.

I do think I'll drill/tap the frame for light mounting with stainless screws - not as critical now since they will be wired ground instead of mounting-grounded but I'd like them to be removable for paint. Need to hit fastenal for that.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #175 on: November 30, 2017, 11:19:27 AM »
oh - I think I used that HF tape on Gus for corner reflectors, and the red is faded to white.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2017, 07:33:52 PM »
Welding the drizzle is ok. Welding in outright rain is no good.

That’s all.

oh lord!

TrailTamer

« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2017, 07:41:44 PM »
I learned years ago that welding while kneeling in a water puddle is no good. To a human, to clarify.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: November 30, 2017, 07:43:14 PM »
I got no zaps. Just too wet for MIG, water flow seemed to be contaminating, very splattery.

oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: November 30, 2017, 11:55:27 PM »
i was very pleased to find out an XJ with no axles on the back of the 49 just squeezes into the shop and can be picked up by the lift! 

shortened my expectation of a cluster fuck transferring to chassis table in the rain then rolling into shop