Author Topic: Ryan Larry Summer Salt ZJ Machine  (Read 6741 times)

M4wdFab

• Administrator
Re: Ryan Larry Summer Salt ZJ Machine
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2021, 08:03:02 PM »
i was trying to get away with out upgrading shafts.  i guess i need to do some research and decided how much i want to spend. 

i think rock auto has a 4.10 gear set for the front (need to verify pinion spline) for 136$

could do that and be done.  i have enough install kit left overs i could patch it in fine

otherwise its carriers, shafts, gear sets front and rear and pushing 1500 in parts im sure, where do you stop. 

5 point cam lock harnesses came in today, and need to pick up an XJ tank and J truck full hydro parts so that will be some major items kicked off the hit list

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2021, 07:47:31 PM »
man this thing is pushing panty dropper status

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2021, 03:36:31 PM »
Had an early CJ5 tailgate laying around, and just about fit perfect so made some latches. 

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2021, 03:44:30 PM »
ordered new rear wheel cylinders and 2 new front ford calipers so i can get bleeders working and get brakes back.

also have a 4.10 gear set and pinion seal on the way for the front.   

i figure if i wheel this thing enough ill be mad at the 4.10s right around the time the Cad or 30 spline stuff blows up in the front, and then it will be time for reagear and shafts, or send it before then. 

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2021, 07:59:50 PM »
waiting on gears and brake upgrade parts. 

fuel tank in, front fenders trimmed and mounted.

TrailTamer

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2021, 08:04:31 PM »
Panty dropper status achieved

XJ oem tank & pump fixed the fuel system problem?

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2021, 08:11:26 PM »
to be determined-  it didnt like the OEM ZJ fuel pump power wires hooked to it, not enough voltage and would start to sputter after a few seconds.  seemed to shop run fine with a battery charger powering pump so i used the OEM wires to power a relay that switched Clean full power to pump.  seemed all good but did stall twice when just driving it around easy (no oil in diffs right now) might be fine after some learn time. 

2 instances so far the alarm/interlock has kicked in and dissaslowed the engine to run.  (no doors so cant reset with key, and disconnecting the battery doesn't seem to fix.  also tried grounding out the purple with yellow tracer wire to send "unlock" status to BCM but so much of the harness was hacked and nothing on the gage cluster works- so not sure the BCM is even active.  both times eventually after 20-30 attempts it has magically started and then fine rest of day.  not sure what i did to cause it or reset it.  (awesome)

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2021, 06:09:36 PM »
swapped on two new front ford calipers and replaced one rear wheel cylinder.  At least D70 is external drums and everything was in great easy serviceable condition!

easy gravity bleed and brakes all good now!

couple laps around the property and it seems pretty good!

front gear set should be here this week also.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2021, 08:09:47 PM »
front 4.10 gears roughed in tonight just need to weld up the diff.  i know ill be kicking my self later for welding it with 30 spine spiders but not much choice right now. 

hopefully it will last a bit before it needs upgrades.  then it will be sad face when i try to get chromo shafts and need a new carrier bah!

picked up some full hydro parts from Gif so after i grab some hoses i should have enough to make this thing full hydro single ended. 

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2021, 07:22:35 PM »
Front gears in and axle buttoned up

90% of full hydro in for the moving parts, need to tweek stuff.  not sure my double ended heim thing will work.  it needs to flop the tie rod a little if your pivot points at the ram are as tight as i made them.  Heim balls would be nice there but meh.

all stuff from old race car parts

ended up sleeving a piece of 1.75 with 1.5 for the tie rod, meh

M

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2021, 12:10:55 AM »
Who's rig is this now?

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2021, 08:51:36 AM »
it was Ryans ZJ and Nick bought, Nicks dad rolled it.  Nick and Keith did some tube work and started the axle swap.

Nick brought it over as it was in the way and most likey going to get scapped after sitting for years. 

Ill finish it and either wheel it a bit this summer or see if anyone in the club wants a new wheeler.  Already had people ask for it when its done lol. 

need to figure out tire situation though, i dont have a spare set of 40s

Harrison

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2021, 10:44:52 AM »
Oh man. Shane Martin needs this thing bad.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2021, 05:51:23 PM »
shes a single ended ram farm tractor driver now! 

regrouped today and got the magic angles on the ram and tie rod so everything is happy with no play or flop. 

trip to TSC for some on the shelf fittings and hoses and all good after some bleeding.

pretty much ready for a shake down minus some zip ties and maybe some storage features

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2021, 07:36:58 PM »
worked on some storage and details today.  needs fuel and some tail tools.  might need to see if it fits in my enclosed though- i think i kinda forgot its 5" wider than the buggy