Author Topic: Plowpile for mikemike  (Read 8760 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Plowpile for mikemike
« on: July 19, 2020, 07:42:50 PM »

Plan to brake clean and JB Weld the oil pan. One pinhole. Rest of it put up with tapping.

Trans electrical connector has a drip on it. Not certain if that’s the leak point or not. Needs more fluid still.

Exhaust is open manifolds. No O2 sensors in play. Driver side plug not immediately found.

Would love to find this for a 2500 for $150 or less. Will probably patch up existing crossmember.

https://www.ebay.com/i/264714767870

The nut ripped out, he jammed a bolt in there to hold it off the bump stop a little.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: Plowpile for mikemike
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 07:58:21 PM »
Frame issue detail:

At top of work light, which is sitting on lower a arm.

Proper patch would require removing swaybar and this bracket.

Could bandaid by tying swaybar bracket back to bottom of frame, but that’s not a full fix. Would Need to check steering clearance. Doesn’t help the inner frame where the steering idler is mounted.

Thoughts appreciated.
I am thinking it’s worth a couple hours, but not much more. It’s a few years from other parts of the frame disintegrating anyway but it would be good to keep the plow well attached until that time.

Will need a few brake lines if I want to keep brakes on it too. Need stock of brake lines!
oh lord!

M

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 08:06:51 PM »
what a rotbox.

if it hasn't been done yet, swap the thermal 4x4 actuator to cable pull actuator.    https://4x4posi-lok.com/app_chevy-k.html

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 08:10:39 PM »
If there’s any issue there it’ll get hard locked in. Doubt it’ll ever leave 4L again

I goofed, crunched the cross member testing clamping the key in place.

oh lord!

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 09:05:26 PM »
OMG, scrap that pile! You're signing up for an enormous and continual headache.

Find a truck, then find a plow to put on the truck. This is equipment you'll need to depend on.
Retired

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 09:54:02 PM »
doesnt look worth putting any effort into.  if it moves plow as is this year.  cut off plow, scrap. 

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 10:23:23 PM »
Committed to building new torsion crossmember. Broke in the new chinaplasma removing the old. It’s good.

Could not get keys off of bars, unsurprisingly.

Will dig through materials trailer and scratch at it this week. Back to work tomorrow.

Might do a little work plating the frame while
I’m at it.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 10:43:57 PM »
Should finally get back to this tomorrow.

Depending on outcome of crossmember and power steering:

$55 for an exhaust y pipe on Amazon. I’m thinking worth it to put exhaust gas behind the cab instead of in front of the firewall with likely leaky floors.
How was exhaust on the old Ford, smike? Ever bother you during a plow session?

Also thinking I’ll put some hours on it driving around the yard as an oversize Gus when I can, for durability testing.
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 11:21:25 PM »
never even looked at the exhaust on the ford, seemed to come out pretty far back.  it had one functioning caliper on a front corner and that was it

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 09:27:20 PM »
Crossmember took about half a day, maybe a bit more. Would have been faster if I had full threaded 1/2” bolts to run the keys up with. Would have also been faster if I had 5” channel instead of 4”. Had to do a bunch of grinding to make they keys fit inside the channel, which is how I decided to make it instead of fully fabricating something.

Few other little things to do on the truck. Need to do a bit of fab on the plow foot brackets for the feet I got.

oh lord!

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 07:09:16 AM »
Plow shoes are only good for making furrows.  Learn to manually float the blade until the ground is frozen, then you can go at it without too much care. Just accept that you will move a bit of material and need to rake in the spring.
Retired

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 07:33:03 AM »
key to plowing gravel:  dont push piles of snow past your gravel area on to your lawn.....

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 06:10:28 PM »
dumped all its ATF while sitting on the lift. guess it didn't like being left alone when I worked at work early this week 😂
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 11:12:24 PM »
doesnt look worth putting any effort into.
OMG, scrap that pile! You're signing up for an enormous and continual headache.

Betting you guys are right.

Trans leak was 4x4 actuator hitting the trans electrical plug. Won’t know if that’s good after bending linkage and plugging back in right until refill.

Passenger frame horn is real bad and will not survive without patch work. Swaybar and steering stabilizer in the scrap pile to gain access. Mental templates need to move to cardboard then to steel as long as the leaks can be dealt with.

Found another oil pan pinhole. Drained, cleaned, and JB’d. Will put oil back in tomorrow and see if there are any more.

Power steering return leak may take a pump swap. I think it may be leaking at return tube to the can. I have several spares.

I’m going to not take your advice, and try to patch up the passenger frame horn as long as the leaks become manageable.

If not, calibrated eye says plow could be on the buggy in an hour or two hung from tabs on the front axle. Lift with winch through a block, probably swap to junk winch line. Order parts and a week later could tap power steering for angle rams. It’s a fallback plan.
oh lord!