Author Topic: Green monster  (Read 28721 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: Green monster
« Reply #225 on: August 09, 2018, 07:43:13 PM »
Need a second set of eyes/hands to find hydraulic leak. I can hear it when pumping but can’t see it. Guess I coulda added fluid and found it by puddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #226 on: August 09, 2018, 08:05:44 PM »
Got new plugs too. Probably needs a little run time to clean itself out, idles great but is rough with echo throttle off.

Probably not happy running bouncing down the road would be my guess.

oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: August 11, 2018, 09:55:51 AM »
Wouldn’t run right with load. Heard whistling.

Here’s the spark arrestor parts.

oh lord!

TrailTamer

« Reply #228 on: August 12, 2018, 01:32:43 PM »
It idled a lot?

It ran pig rich.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: August 12, 2018, 09:46:21 PM »
I wonder if the carb is a little out of adjustment, or if running while banging down the road splashes some fuel and it runs rich?
I've noticed a big puff of black smoke on startup after I run it dry, increasing with time.
Didn't have a chance to see if that symptom remains since I didn't go through a tank this weekend.

Cab definitely needs more insulation, 5kbtu of cooling can't keep up - either that or the unit isn't making rated cooling. I had a window unit die at home last week as well. Was short cycling a bit and now compressor will run but it doesn't cool whatsoever. It didn't feel like this unit was really pumping cool air today like I remember when it was new. No pressure ports on these things so I feel pretty blind.

Did a bunch of decal work when I got back to M4 World Headquarters this afternoon. This side has ballpark 5 man-hours into it - thanks to Smike's help for the entirety of 'moving and storage' - he had a great touch to it while I was struggling in the shade on the other side. I didn't get quite as far over there after he left, but most of the phone number and half of Pittsburgh is gone. Working in hot sun and adding a little bit of heat works pretty well.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: August 12, 2018, 09:47:01 PM »

oh lord!

TrailTamer

« Reply #231 on: August 13, 2018, 05:15:03 PM »
Power wash decals off. Seriously.

Paint your cab’s roof white. It helped tremendously on my XJ.

TrailTamer

« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2018, 05:18:29 PM »
Take a 10mm wrench and pull the carb bowl to check the float (and to clean the bowl if needed)

Sound like the float sticks or needle isn’t sealing.

Only way to tune them is to either drill jets or swap jets but doubtful that’s the problem since they’re usually tuned lean from factory.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #233 on: August 13, 2018, 05:32:34 PM »
any power washer setting that would remove the decals would remove the paint, at least at the seams and rivets. I don't want to repaint, certainly not right away.

generator carb might be sloshing a bunch and isn't really designed to run when in motion?

Given the shape of the cab and truck and roof, wall exposure is probably more of a thing than the color of just the roof. Better interior insulation is probably more of a gain than exterior color but I'm not 100% certain on the physics of that. I can tell you though that I don't have much more insulation than a factory Jeep roof. 1" or less of open cell foam, then typical interior panel construction.

I don't want a silver/white truck or truck cab. I have very little roof compared to wall. Practically speaking from a cooling perspective I should just paint the whole damn thing or at least the top half light grey/silver but I really don't want to. Again, avoiding paint for now.
oh lord!

TrailTamer

« Reply #234 on: August 13, 2018, 05:58:18 PM »
There’s no insulation or headliner in my XJ, I removed all of them, just sheet metal. I couldn’t even touch the roof (interior side) when it was black. Now I can lay on top if I wanted to.

A/C will be the easiest fix, anyhow. Your A/C unit recirc the air or just pumps cooled air into the cab? Maybe a roof vent will help to allow hot air to escape?

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: August 13, 2018, 08:11:37 PM »
It recirculates.

When it’s not keeping up, opening the high windows helps a lot.

Roof vent scares from both leak and durability perspective. Will be exposed on leading side,

oh lord!

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #236 on: August 13, 2018, 08:36:57 PM »
More ceiling insulation is needed, for certain.
Retired

SB406

« Reply #237 on: August 16, 2018, 11:52:29 AM »
I'd bet on the carb flooding over while bouncing down the road. But also check the oil level. 
My EU2000i started running shitty a few hours after break in.  little huff of smoke now and then transitioning from Eco throttle to load too. It actually quit on me once as well. Lowered the oil level a tad and all was good. When the rings broke in, the elevated oil level started making it's way into the cylinder.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #238 on: August 16, 2018, 12:00:57 PM »
good call - oil was high. the rich running and carb slosh may be washing the rings and adding oil as well.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: August 26, 2018, 10:23:03 PM »
Sweat equity showed significant promise for future activities.

Just gonna paste what I already wrote up for Pirate.
Thanks again for all the help and for the great idea, Mike!

Significant progress today in vetting future plans for multi rig hauling.

Also decided on some frame plans for putting a hitch on this thing. Gonna need 10’ of 10” c channel frame, going to frame double from the existing 5th wheel plate to the tail. I don’t trust the rear frame extension done when the truck was stretched. Plenty of room to double frame on the outside with flanges out with good steel and mount the hitch to that.

If I were going for a converter dolly with no tongue weight I’d run as is and monitor for cracks but I’m probably going to be prepared to run on her on the long side and be able to tow my lowboy goose, or any normal tag trailer including my buddy’s 18k non-stacker that’s usually behind his Renegade. Just for usefulness’ sake. Probably but that on the back burner, and focus on 2 inside for now followed by a bit more build out of facilities.

This is bumper to bumper, with 1 tire width against the front wall. Not gonna cut it to close the doors even without a tire up there.

Pulled a bunch of the tires out and made room to lift the back of the brolite. Overlap the rigs a bit and there’s plenty of room for both. With a better and more stable lifting system this may work for 2 u4 cars, and hopefully will leave room for a bathroom up front. The brolite is only 70” wide so I’ve got lots of room next to it in a 99.5” wide box. Not the case with another foolsize car in there but I’ve got hope for many good things after this smallest of the stacking.

Horrible PITA to tie down as it is. Not long term!

oh lord!