Author Topic: Some Dumpbus Updates  (Read 55011 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Some Dumpbus Updates
« on: February 01, 2012, 01:19:26 PM »
My plan is do to the following this week & weekend, the big stuff at Smike's shop:

- fuel tank straps
- rear brakes
- camshaft swap
- front main seal
- tappet cover seal
- replace a broken accelerator return spring that's been hanging out since I bought the truck
- swap cracked fuel return hard line

Have all the seals as of last night
Have had the brake parts and tank straps for a while
Camshaft should be here Friday, just ordered it from Peak Diesel

Tempted to swap injectors too but I think I'll wait on that.
Looking forward to lower EGTs and less leaky pile status.

There may be a little side trip that postpones this until after my Denver Jam, we'll see how timing works out.... I'd rather get this done first but we'll see.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
Re: Some Dumpbus Updates
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 08:06:24 PM »
the dumpbus drove out tonight with a new cam!

dubt

• Free Loader
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 08:30:06 PM »
nice

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Some Dumpbus Updates
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 10:42:03 PM »
Put 35 miles on it. Took a little timing out too. I think I was at 16-16.5 before, now I'm at about 14.5 if I remember right - and if 3* is the proper correction for the pop pressure difference. Feels way slower off the line, not sure if I like that. Starts a million times easier though. 15-15.5 is probably the sweet spot.

Got on it good coming back home once and I can still get it hot but I think it's more reasonable now. I didn't bury the pyro, which I think I could before if I tried. Need to get a load behind it and pull US15 N to really know if it helped me as much as I hope.

Found and fixed a few other issues while I was in it. Think I have a couple weeping injector lines to deal with, and I definitely have a big bubble in the heater core. Brr. Fixed the shutdown solenoid bracket again, hopefully for the last time. All my timing cover bolts had been loose, that was probably most of the oil leak. All locktited this time around. Though I'd done that before but ???

Gotta clean up my mess of tools in the shop tomorrow. May go after some of the remaining project bits too. Like the overflow bottle that I'm degunking, and brakes and straps (now that I put 27 gallons in the tank tonight. Oops)
oh lord!

jacel86

• Free Loader
    • Tallmadge Tire
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 11:29:39 PM »
You were able to bury the Pyro within seconds towing my heap

Nick

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 11:59:05 PM »
Waiting for my $5!!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Some Dumpbus Updates
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 08:27:06 AM »
You bet, welcher.
oh lord!

etk300ex

Some Dumpbus Updates
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 08:57:21 AM »
Unstoppable!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Some Dumpbus Updates
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 01:07:28 AM »
Leaking has been severely limited!! Successful on the oil and fuel front in that regard it seems.

Set frontend toe, shored up headlight mounting, replaced fuel tank straps (blissfully easy and smooth job!) and did the rear brake shoes tonight along with cleaning up my weekend's mess. Didn't need drums or springs. Shoes were at about 50% but a couple were sketchy with cracking an biased wear. Worth replacing. Found out I have shoe life view plugs in the backing plates too. Sweetness.

Dual tires at different clocking after the brake job smoothed out my long standing ~72mph vibe. It runs great at 80+ :-(

Still wanna do the front brake/hub/knuck swap. Need to fix/ replace horn again. Swap exhaust brake to pressure actuated. Maybe do something with a wastegate... That and rust issues are about it.
oh lord!

Harrison

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 12:25:51 PM »
Louder stereo speakers? Headsets that allow the driver and passenger to communicate at highway speeds?

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Some Dumpbus Updates
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 12:31:24 PM »
Noisemaker upgrades would be nice. I keep scoping crush cars for upgrades, I'll find some eventually. Found a few subs in Albany that others took, I thought I was gonna have some nice Xplode 6x9s from the rear deck of a Buick in NYC but they were a mismatched set and one looked whipped.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 12:03:19 PM »
I dropped a couple hundo on the Eagle sound system yet this languishes....

It's been a sweet beast since all this work went into it though! Still want to do the Ford knuckles and fix a couple air leaks but she's a reliable transporter!
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 11:04:30 PM »
borrowed Smike's sweet clamp on DC ammeter to look for phantom draws tonight, found nothing.  being on top of the battery does confuse it a bit, seemed to work mostly okay if I could put it where I wanted it, zero it, then put the wires in as long as orientation was the same and position was close.  it would wander 0.3a or so depending on orientation when on top of the battery.

anyway, I seem to have well under half an amp. I think around 0.1-0.2 which I think is a bit lower than I found with my ammeter in-line last time I played this game.  Batteries have got to be shot.
oh lord!

awl4928

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 11:34:56 PM »
AAA Acceptable rating for electrical draw is .7 amps and under for not computer controlled vehicles.  Recomended under.5

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 11:59:51 AM »
while not "computer controlled" it is an OBD-II vehicle with a PCM and BCM...

It's sitting at work right now, if I'm smart I'll go straight from here to Advance and get the batteries tested after I get off. I expect they'll fail. Even if it is due to phantom draw they've been down to dead so often I've probably killed them.
oh lord!