Author Topic: TDI Wonder 4.0  (Read 8853 times)

Harrison

Re: TDI Wonder 4.0
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2022, 12:41:38 PM »
That is a sweet eastern Wayne County paint job for sure

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2022, 12:50:21 PM »
what better way to test paint match for new tin, than to just paint over the rusty tin to be replaced!?
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

M

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2022, 01:29:55 PM »
Silver is one of the hardest, if not the hardest color to match other panels.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2022, 08:12:29 PM »
check engine popped on, didn't pull code yet

I blocked EGR but forgot to adjust the computer. Adjusted.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2022, 11:55:00 PM »
Rear abs sensors swapped. Pain in the ass, they are crazy tight in the hole. Had to drill out one previously broken hold down bolt.

And light still lit, blinking brake light gone. Didn’t check if cruise is fixed - probably not, with abs light still lit.

Didn’t get to the radiator on my wagon with all the mower trouble. Tomorrow night hopefully. Get the wagon ready for car camping at F&F
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2022, 09:44:19 AM »
Getting down to nit picky stuff.

Still have to do that RF ball joint
Door sensors are screwed up (drive door always closed and doesn’t power lock, but will unlock)
Check and see if there’s any hope of AC
Headliner is sagged out
There was a cooling fan in the giant box of parts.
Swap in cup holder center console
Swap broken glove box
Shampoo seats

I had sprayed that replacement fender with silver Krylon. It orange peeled horribly. I gave it some 400 grit, and was going to wipe it down with brake cleaner to clean up for another coat, and all the paint came off the black primer that it shipped with!
oh lord!

etk300ex

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2022, 11:47:58 AM »
Door sensors are screwed up (drive door always closed and doesn’t power lock, but will unlock)
Check and see if there’s any hope of AC
Headliner is sagged out

Ditto haha

I tried to fix my headliner twice with headliner glue. The second time I removed it. It seems to just pull another layer of whatever the deteriorating material that the headliner is made out of. I ended up just screwing some long strips of thin flexible plastic stuff up there that I had laying around.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2022, 03:05:03 PM »
I tried to glue the wagon headliner once, same result. I don't think it lasted a week. Once that foam starts to degrade it's all over. No sunroof in this one to help hold it up, either. It's off my head though so aside from seeing it flap in the back window in the rearview I could forget about it.

I have a bookmark about replacing a microswitch in the door latches to fix that but have never bothered. I have 2 or 3 in the wagon that are wrong too. Haven't checked the red Golf. I don't know how big a deal it is to R&R the latches. I also don't know if the switch that monitors latch open/closed is related to the door lock actuator, or if the lock actuator has somehow become a one-way motor.
oh lord!

M

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2022, 04:57:05 PM »
Did yall replace the headliner fabric itself? or tried to glue back up the old factory headliner?     

When I replaced my Mazda6 headliner, this was the process:  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1214921907202&type=3

TLDR, took down entire headliner out of vehicle.  Scrubbed off the old foam down to the bare headliner board/backing (I used stiff brush).  Sprayed on glue and put on new headliner fabric. 

It worked for a couple years after that in FL summers then I got rid of it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 04:59:26 PM by M »

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2022, 05:43:52 PM »
wonder 1.0 had a sweet plad fleece pink and brown headliner i installed  8)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2022, 05:49:08 PM »
I did the same in my Eagle, Matt. Stayed up for a couple years.

I was thinking about it on my way in this morning and was wondering how to get the headliner out of the car. rear hatch makes it pretty easy. I don't know how the trim around the sunroof is done but I don't have to worry about that on this one. May just pull the fabric off so it's not flapping in the breeze. I haven't done that before.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2022, 06:09:58 PM »
ABS light went out after one additional key cycle past repair. Still no cruise. Hopefully I can find the switches in bag com and see if the cruise on/off is dead.

Possible the switch was added or a turn signal stalk with switches was swapped if for switch failure and isn’t connected, or Ecu isn’t coded for cruise. It is a BASE model.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2022, 10:03:12 PM »
Did that lower ball joint. Smooth as butter until a stainless caliper pin stripped in the cast knuckle on reassembly.

That stainless pin got hogged out to 5/16 ID spacer, and it’s through bolted with a gr8 and a stainless nut that I gave some thread damage to for locking. Hopefully that’s a permanent fix.

Found that damn hvac bulb out. Ordered like 4. Hopefully I don’t lose them before I need more. I don’t really have a bulb home. Guess I need one.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
TDI Wonder 4.0
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2022, 12:32:02 AM »
“Vented” when filling this for the first time this morning and it leaked some fuel. So not going to gut that to make a bigger fuel tank. Reasonably sure nothing leaked when fuel shut off naturally.

Calling it done for now. HVAC bulb and drink holder center console swap sometime.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 12:17:52 AM by mr.mindless »
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2022, 12:17:30 AM »
Tweaked IP timing when i got home. Sarah couldn’t start it yesterday, showed too retarded on the graph. Perfect now, will see how it starts when it’s fully cold off again.

Need to replace a PCV hose, will have an intake leak right now, that’ll be here tomorrowish. HVAC bulbs are here.
oh lord!