Author Topic: new house for mikemike  (Read 44759 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: new house for mikemike
« Reply #210 on: July 04, 2020, 06:02:11 PM »
Have a couple covers to put on but wiring is done.

Except

Burned wire in the mill motor made like welding inside the fwd/off/rev box after 20sec I’d run time when I tested. Boy did that make me jump.

Lathe is 100% happy electrically. Haven’t cleaned it off of tooling to test the feeds and such.

Same insulation failure on that main motor lead as what took out the bed crossfeed motor, but only on one wire, not all.

This is the crossfeed motor:

I don’t know how to get the windings out of the case on the crossfeed, and I don’t know how to get the sheave off the motor spindle to get the motor cover off the main motor. Looks like disassembly was attempted once, two set screws are missing. I think it might be a thread-a-volt-in-the-end to press it off situation but I don’t have high confidence in that nor a long enough 3/8 fine thread bolt.

It’s a variable ratio belt drive setup, manual control of the driven sheave spacing and spring loaded on the driven side, plus a high/low ratio.

I swapped bottles on the lift. There’s no limit on how far that rear arm can swing until it hits the wall so technically that could happen again, but clearance improved significantly with bottle turned around.

Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

M

« Reply #211 on: July 05, 2020, 10:52:00 AM »
What's the temp like in your shop?

Abbatte on FB said his barn was 108 degrees.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #212 on: July 05, 2020, 10:59:53 AM »
his stays pretty good and cooler that ambient if you keep the doors closed.  tons of cold concrete and an insulated building. 

just a little sweaty floors here and there if conditions are right. 

mine will get over 100 with the doors closed.  right about 95 with doors open and the one fan i have in the door way top

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: July 05, 2020, 03:41:00 PM »
It’ll be interesting how mine does this coming week when lows are in the high 60s.

Probably will stay around 80 when it’s 95.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #214 on: July 05, 2020, 03:55:02 PM »
Which, I should add, is cooler than the main floor of the house stays.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: July 05, 2020, 08:05:08 PM »
So the occasional rodent appearance hasn’t fixed itself in spite of Rosie the cat and Titan. Rosie has gotten a couple mice in the basement. She’s earning her keep.

I spied plenty of trace above the ceiling and I hear them there sometimes.

It appears I’ve won round one of the bird war. Now it’s time for the rats that don’t fly.

Vacuuming the tiles before they came down and cleaning up the insulation, this took about 2 hours. This is gonna be a big project. About $500 for new tiles too. Was mismatched and had some sag and a few damaged spots so that was already on a long term list but the rodents moved it up.

Found an entry point. Also suspect around a window in the crawl space, as well as possibly around the cellar door.

About to go look at that from the outside.

Also found an ex-rat
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #216 on: July 05, 2020, 08:54:01 PM »
Thanks Rosie!
Another one gone.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: July 06, 2020, 09:20:55 AM »
Aaaand another one bites the dust
oh lord!

M

« Reply #218 on: July 06, 2020, 09:24:01 AM »
Did Rosie come with the house?  or you got new cat? 

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #219 on: July 06, 2020, 09:42:57 AM »
Sarah’s cat, got it a few months before we moved.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #220 on: July 06, 2020, 12:58:54 PM »

LOTS of mouse house behind siding that was in ground contact.

Rosie and I each got 2 today. Interior nice are huge. The ones I got outside are typical field mouse size.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: July 06, 2020, 03:50:42 PM »
Talked to my neighbor for a while this afternoon. He’s pretty sure the too-deep backfill was done in an early effort to correct slope away from the house.

Could be.

Would take moving a whole lot of dirt and removing a tree or two to correct slope starting at where the foundation should be exposed. Probably near a foot. There’s an existing drain for the gutter that I dug around. I’ll monitor and maybe perforate that if things try to fill up against the block.

I haven’t tried to look behind the siding yet. What I have not seen isn’t an issue right?

No mice since this noontime. Rosie and I are 2-2 for the day. Sarah’s scorecard says we’re at 9 total. She and Titan are at 0, but he did kill a fledgling bird a few days ago. It flew/fell right to him and either died or he stepped on it.

This much activity, either we made a serious dent or I’ve got one hell of an issue.

I’ve filled in about 2/3 of the fence post holes. Only ones remaining are the two furthest stretches of fence.
oh lord!

TrailTamer

« Reply #222 on: July 06, 2020, 03:58:43 PM »
where your pond drains into? I couldn't see any when I looked. Seem like all of your neighbors' water drainage get into a creek & run into your pond (and your yard) and no outflow?

mr.mindless

• Administrator
new house for mikemike
« Reply #223 on: July 06, 2020, 04:15:55 PM »
Outflow from northeast corner of my pond along the tamarack woods to a county ditch at the Bloomfield/Whalen intersection.

Outflow has been bone dry since second week of June. Pond down 18-24” from mid July.

Neighbor’s pond down 3’ easily, i was surprised. He said they hit an aquifer when digging it, and it drains back when it’s dry. 14’ deep. He’s not sure what mine is but likely similar.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: July 06, 2020, 04:17:17 PM »
If you’re coming over tonight, I’ll leave the door@joe open for ya. I may be hiding in ac/basement. Lmk.
oh lord!