Author Topic: TDI Wonder 3.0  (Read 16311 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: TDI Wonder 3.0
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 07:13:12 PM »
I'll buy somebody lunch to drive with me instead of wasting time with straps and trailers, and we'll both do doughnuts on his lawn until there's no lawn left if he stiffs me.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

dubt

• Free Loader
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 03:15:43 PM »
Mike I am off on Fridays now so I can follow you over. Let me know what time. I have an interview at 12pm for about an hour.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 03:25:44 PM »
Thank you and Brett both for offering. Dude just picked it up from work - goneski.

Good luck on the interview!
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 11:44:57 AM »
Couple minor issues have popped up. Hard start is improving on its own - I’m thinking there was some air trapped in the fuel system that was still working its way out. It decided yesterday to think the passenger door is open. Pulling that fuse kills the windows and remote locks too, so I pulled the lamp this morning instead.

Wet carpets are drying out (there’s a power lead from battery to trunk that leaked with hood up and on jack stands, and there was a cover off on the passenger side that let rain in through the air box while it was parked) Hopefully interior fogging will quit soon. Cracking windows in the mean time.

Stupid amounts of storage under the cargo floor around the spare.

Lots of power. Drives great. No lights. Had an intermittent overboost code but that may have survived battery disconnect, since it’s not going into limp and I did swap out a rotten actuator.

I’m not in any hurry to do turbo and injectors with as quick as the tune it has is already makes it.

Looking forward to a little tin and paint come warm weather and making the outside look as good as the inside and mechanicals.

Time to send SlowGolf! Problem is I should swap this turbo on it first so it’s mechanically 100%. Probably the difference between worth 1500 and 2000.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 07:39:23 PM »
Swapped the 17” snows from the front of the Golf. Doesn’t do bad in snow at all with ok tires on the front. Left the skinny all season 15s (195s or 205s) on the back instead of the wide (225) all season 17s. Mismatch winter trash!
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 08:06:01 AM »
Low battery at 11*F after sitting for 2+ weeks was expected. Once it had juice it wasn’t a hard start at all.
Now that I’m home, hard starts every time. So much for the gnomes fixing that.

There are injection pump seals that apparently fail in time. Supposedly there’s an external leak with the most common one and my pump isn’t wet so I’m not sure if that’s the right place to start.

Could be bad fuel lines letting some air in, or a couple other things too. So far the battery hasn’t failed me with the long cranks except at the airport sitting. Just the embarrassment or firing up in a cloud of white/grey smoke every time it’s shut down for more than a couple hours.

oh lord!

Nick

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 07:08:50 PM »
You sure it is a fuel leak and not a glow plug issue? I had a issue with my Mercedes this fall that I thought was a fuel leak and went on a wild goose chase and it was actually the glow plus not working.

TrailTamer

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 07:15:13 PM »
Same. My dodge did this when connectors on the solenoid broke.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 07:26:35 PM »
best thing i ever did on my TDI was put a toggle switch and a 50amp relay to that POS glowplug cluster F

i assumed you eliminated that device

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 09:44:59 AM »
I tested all GPs out of the car. Have not tested the harness, it's been replaced. No codes.

Temperature hasn't been a factor so I don't think it's a glow issue but that's probably still worth a double check.
oh lord!

TrailTamer

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 01:37:50 PM »
One quick test on the fuel system I can think of is to pressurize the gas tank with compressed air (a neat trick... but be careful) and bleed at the IP then try start it and see whether it start ‘normal’ that way, which prove it bled down.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 01:46:11 PM »
I don't even need to get that fancy, the supply line to the IP is clear.

where that would help is to potentially turn an air leak into a fuel leak to be able to locate it.
There's a thermostatic tee on the fuel return line that returns under-temp fuel to the filter, and hot fuel to the tank - it's a common air leak source. I swapped that tee between the two TDIs and the issue stayed with the wagon. It could be another fuel fitting, could be a mildly cracked line, could be those pump seals. I think it's unlikely to be a single injector leaking down since even with one or two injectors primed it would start quick and rough as opposed to no-start then rough then smooth.

What confuses me is the intermittent nature.
It's (almost?) always fine after less than an hour. 4 hours is enough to give issues. Being warmer when leaving work at lunch today still gave me a hard start. But it starts easily once in a while. It's probably 50/50 or maybe a little worse when it sits for more than a couple hours.

Aside from at the airport it hasn't failed to start.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2019, 08:57:09 PM »
37mpg first tank. Gotta be wasting a TON of fuel somewhere. Down and back to Dubois (which included 150-200mi at 60ish on 219) and a week of running around town.
oh lord!

TrailTamer

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2019, 07:38:36 PM »
Everything stock? (Including ecu)

Motor oil look OK? Maybe related to cold start issues from leaky injector(s)? Or just from idling here and there (to keep it toasty inside)?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 07:40:31 PM by TrailTamer »

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 12:25:41 AM »
Not stock tune. Details not known.

PO claimed high MPGs. We’ve been chatting, and I might do a timing belt on the car he replaced this with. Gotta look into that and get him a price. It’s the newer motor I don’t know. I’ll ask him if I think of it.

He never winter drove it. I think title was issued to him in April or so.

I forgot that the thermostat is stuck open too. Cold engine temps could put it into a warmup map or some such. Not sure if such a map exists, but it runs cold enough to set a code.
oh lord!