Author Topic: TDI Wonder 3.0  (Read 16295 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
TDI Wonder 3.0
« on: December 22, 2018, 06:35:17 PM »
5 speed Jetta TDI wagon, rare bird. This might be a keeper. If it's as good as it should be it might be The One.

new all season rubber on it, which is good because I'm out of good tires.
dark tint & galactic blue, same as Smike's and same as my first.
black leather swapped in
P-PO did some SHIT body work on it, and it has rust everywhere he touched it. the bottom side is southern-car-clean. LR fender is the worst of it, and the worst location that it's got it.

water pump failed and took out the timing belt. came with a junkyard 130k mile head, and what really made me do it is that a good turbo is hanging off that head, which I need for the Golf. Belt went at 10mph and he hit the clutch immediately. There's a slim chance that it only crushed the lifters but I kinda doubt that's the case. Has compression in 3 holes and hisses in one.

Hopefully it's a timing belt kit and head install kit away from being a runner. Sadly I'm way more excited to do things like that than to work on the race car...
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: TDI Wonder 3.0
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 06:47:39 PM »
Oh, he was asking 1600. I told him not to take my 1200 offer and to fix it and keep it like he’d planned to. we settled on 1300.

oh lord!

M

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 07:45:46 PM »

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 07:58:30 PM »
;-)
oh lord!

etk300ex

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 10:12:36 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 11:24:26 PM »
2.0 goes under the knife for turbo swap, and 3.0 for head swap on Friday in the warm weather opportunity.

Couple bites on 1.8t, betting nothing continues to come of it.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 07:02:28 PM »
I should have wasted less of today. same thing I say every day off. I have motivation and procrastination issues.

turbo that came with the new head has good actuator but bad bearings. didn't go further than that on 2.0
head almost off of 3.0. Dinner break now that it's dark, then a tool run to the tool cart left at mikes shop. Need my triple squares for the head bolts.
turbo actuator on 3.0 is rotted out. Need a 10mm wrench that I've only got one of to hopefully get that swapped.

slim chance I'll have this running tonight, but with some luck it'll at least be on its way back together.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 10:49:26 PM »
Head looked good, only one valve visibly bent. New lifters and valves and that head would be a runner.

Bottom end on the other hand, I might not be so lucky. No valve damage to the pistons, but the hole that seller said was showing no compression has erosion around the top of the piston.

It might be fine, or it might be a waste of time, a head gasket, and a bunch of single use bolts if that hole still leaks down or it blows apart in less than another 100k... I'll solicit some internet opinions on the facespace and see what the world thinks.

I might dig my other TDI out from under the workbench tomorrow and give it a close look (came from Brett's friend's car that Spencer and I parted several years ago, totally unknown history). It's definitely new enough that it uses the same pistons as this engine. Be easy enough to pull the pan and go in from the bottom as long as the bore stands up to very close inspection. New piston with rings lists at $125.

I know this car had the turbo swapped on it, and I actually found a piece of the cold side turbine on top of the steering rack. Wouldn't surprise me if that's what the piston damage was from and it's been driven like that for ~30k and was "fine"
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 11:33:17 PM by mr.mindless »
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 02:21:44 PM »
Rings were ordered. I settled on swapping the bad piston. also chasing a good deal on a performance turbo. Either this or the Golf will be kept for a while, and souped up a bit. Golf will be staying at high asking price until this actually runs, then cut to sell if this is as good as reported.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 05:34:27 PM »
Progress fail: 2 oil pan bolts I can’t access.

I need to grab a set of built-in wobble extensions like mike has. Not a big enough hole to get a 3/8 universal through, my shallow 1/4 10mm is MIA, and I left my 1/4 drive universal and extensions at the shop.

I need a more complete second set of tools :(
oh lord!

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 07:50:58 PM »
it's ALWAYS the 10mm... :P
Retired

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 12:09:05 AM »
Getting carbon out of the ring lands was probably enough that i should have just bought new pistons. Then I had to reuse the bottom ring off the bad piston: i snapped the very first one to go in somehow. Must have been a sneeze crooked or too loose. First time going this deep and reassembling, everything else went as smoothly as I expected.

Out of any RTV of any flavor at home somehow, so oil pan goes on in the morning, then the car goes back to the ground so I can regain top end access and the rest can go together.

I think I’ll put it back together with this turbo and swap on the hot rod one after I know it runs, and the car drives right.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 12:10:54 AM »
Oh - I had to cut down the 10mm shallow i got, and turn down the top end for clearance. Those 2 bolts at the flywheel definitely aren’t intended to be removed for an inframe with the flywheel still mated.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 06:56:20 PM »
DONE.

drives like a keeper. Do a little body work in the spring if nobody picks it up in the mean time for... 3750? About 1700 into it right now with parts and fluids. 5sp TDI wagons are hen's teeth.

The fool buying my 1.8t got his insurance check yesterday and was all gung ho to meet up today, and he did come over again and take a second look over everything and take it for a spin. with no cash
I'm delivering to to honeoye falls Friday. ::)
anybody want it for $2201?
"I got a better offer man, sorry"
fucking people.
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 07:00:34 PM »
delivering with no deposit?  fail on you if so!