Author Topic: Green monster  (Read 28745 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: Green monster
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2018, 03:24:30 PM »
I'm really itching to work on this thing. I think I'll have to stop and visit it tonight after work in case anyone wants The Grand Tour.

Going to go make a couple copies to send to SD.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2018, 04:10:14 PM »
in the shop all nights this week..... jeeps bah

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2018, 10:27:37 PM »
Alternator out. New unit in stock at Regional for $470. Will check Pro Rebuilders and North Star tomorrow. Arie?

Paperwork in the mail to SD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2018, 07:41:35 AM »
this unit is impressive in size!

cracker

• Free Loader
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2018, 08:21:44 AM »
how jealous is the seller, now knowing it was a relatively cheap fix?

TrailTamer

« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2018, 09:07:11 AM »
I had excellent experience with Pro Rebuilders. Highly recommended.

SB406

« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2018, 10:12:03 AM »
These guys have always been good to us rebuilding odd things for a reasonable price.

Diesel & Auto Electric  
Address: 33 Payne Ave, North Tonawanda, NY 14120
Phone: (716) 692-8198

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2018, 11:26:23 AM »
Walked out of Pro Rebuilders with a suggested replacement unit. My SI30 is apparently not really worth rebuilding. Too old, too expensive of parts for what the end result is. Cummins gave me a $470 price on a replacement SI36. Pro Rebuilders suggested an SI21 I think it is, which I walked out with for $200.

Bobby of brolite fame has shared some Rockwell manuals with me that he was able to find. 60-65PSI is the regulated pressure for the trans so I've got first steps on that lined up, and about 15 pages of air system manual (it's 30 pages, but it's for a 13 speed. Half of it should apply to my 9) to go through troubleshooting steps on. I'll just need to find means to adapt a pressure gauge to whatever size the small lines are, hopefully there are not a dozen line sizes on the trans but the diagrams indicate there may be.

Bobby's guy says it's likely a top cover issue. That was rebuilt once before on this truck. I'm going to go through service records again and spend some time on it so I can reference this stuff.

Now please, weather, dry out! I have things to do.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2018, 05:50:26 PM »
Was really excited to get the alt slapped in and see if my air leak is fixed and if my dad is right about those being the shifter lines and that causing low air and slow shift.

but fuck this wind and cold. 571 with a closed garage door is calling.

oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2018, 10:58:27 PM »
Ran out to Phelps and back tonight to get some ramps. Breakover angle likely to be rough for a certain Ranger, we'll see about that, may test that this week if I have a chance.

Got my 4 camera set up mostly installed yesterday, reasonably impressed with this. Need to find switched power for it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J0RS8UM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Planning to run these around the top of the inside of the box for general area light, spooled one out and tested it, I'm impressed.
https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Daylight-Non-waterproof-Christmas-Decoration/dp/B00WQFP3AO/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YNZXS9D48C93KW5N0E8W

Received these today, was planning on them being outdoor work lights. Return slip already waiting to print, they are GARBAGE. Nice housings, roughly .5 watt brightness, not even close to 10 watt. 30-40 watt incandescent equivalent.
https://www.amazon.com/GLW-Waterproof-Outdoor-Halogen-Equivalent/dp/B008XZAQDU/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Need to replace my tractor control valve, a fitting was overtightened into it and it's cracked. That's my dash air leak. Found when running camera wires.

Remaining electrical issues* were repaired by running an extra ground to the cab. I was seeing 3.5v between chassis and cab frame with the parking lights on. Couldn't quickly find how the factory grounded it so I just ran another 2ga wire. I might hunt for that next time I'm not pressed for time, or just call it fine.

*I still have no 'bright' to the signal/marker on the passenger side. it still signals as long as I have my parking lights on though, since it cuts the park lamp for the bright side. Come to think, that sounds like a short from bright to ground somewhere in that run. Now that I think as I type, I'm sure the park +12 signal is there all the time. Hmm. Oh well, I have an LQ4 to deal with along with a few other things.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2018, 11:08:13 PM »
Forgot to mention that the trans acted up again at Mark's.
Transmission pilot and pilot supply air line splices repaired, but the trans did its weird thing again today - once. I'm thinking it might be hitting reverse if I go too far left when I'm aiming for 1st, and then not pulling it back out. I'll try and replicate that - and if that's the case, throwing it in reverse and back out ought to fix it. Playing with ranges shouldn't matter. I played with ranges today after checking 1-2-3-4 and then it got better. Need to play a little more. I was on a very slight hill again too - I wonder if it's doing it more often than I know but fixes itself when the output doesn't roll and make it bind.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Green monster
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2018, 07:17:37 PM »
ROCKWELL FF961 12,000# FRONT AXLE

Hrmph.
I guess I need to find some heavy things for the very tail. I will have about 13,400# worth of tire on that front axle, but that’s much less headroom than I was expecting with an empty box.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:22:41 PM by mr.mindless »
oh lord!

M

« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2018, 08:39:30 PM »
When you build the RV inside it, put gray water, black water, and freshwater tanks in the very back.  That'd be some ballast.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2018, 07:27:17 AM »
but some really annoying sewer plumbing.  at least the fresh tank could be put in the back there easy other than winterizing. 

how full was the fuel tank when scaling also? 

move the rear axles up and fix your turning radius problem too haha

cracker

• Free Loader
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2018, 07:53:08 AM »
wow, that is really surprising, Didn't you say the truck had a 2nd fuel tank at one time?