Author Topic: TDI Wonder 2.0  (Read 7834 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
TDI Wonder 2.0
« on: December 04, 2016, 08:37:35 PM »
if I count the green machine as 1.0, the silver Golf will be 2.0. plan to put the green machine up as a winter beater at 2500 and not take less than 1800. if it doesn't go I guess I'll race them and sell whichever goes first?

I cut out the bad parts of the rear end, and confirmed that the shell isn't badly tweaked. front of the wheel arches touch the doors but the frame members were missed and the strut towers are true. I'll have to play a bit of a game at the tail light opening on the driver side to get the light to sit right since I don't have dead straight tin from either car. the rest should be "easy" and will come after it drives. all work should be hidden behind lights and bumper aside from a very small dent above the LR tail that I may just leave.

Need to pull trans and either replace entire unit from the other left side wreck, or feed it a new clutch. it's either got a completely failed dual mass flywheel or a broken shaft. My bet is the former. Once that's back together, the donor's ass gets cut out and patched in, and then I drive it.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: TDI Wonder 2.0
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 06:56:56 PM »
No trans pull needed. Sadly I did break loose one pair of torque to yield bolts before I got underneath to pull axle shafts and found one broken.
Should be able to test drive tomorrow or day after to verify trans is good. Then take care of rearend damage next nice day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 10:07:07 PM »
Everything back together, just need to install axles and test drive. If it goes well I've got some cutting and welding before plating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 05:52:29 PM »
the dates on this thread just speak volumes to me as a Wonder creator.

finished putting tin together like a year ago. decided it's not gonna get bondo and squirted some silver last week. plates today, and dropped for inspection because the 1.8t wouldn't set readiness.

definitely needs rear shocks and probably strut bushings. rumble might be tires or bearings or alignment or god only knows.
needs a tensioner pulley, and one rad tank has a drip. I have a rad out of the donor car on the shelf.
having an alignment done too, be interesting to see how bent it is. Hit was square and most of the shortening was behind the wheel wells so I'm expecting good news. Be good to be able to keep the beam from the other car if this is super bent though.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 05:41:11 PM »
Stickered and aligned and a fresh starter!

Can’t wait to see the alignment printout and how bent it is/was/wasn’t.

Still has slight radiator drip (used part on the shelf at home) and a bad serpentine tensioner pulley (parr’s enroute) then DD status to see what else is wrong!
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 06:49:00 PM »
Back home with High Miler stopped for a sticker.

Drives pretty good. Gotta chase low power though, which I don’t remember from initial drives.

Start with fuel and air filters. I shoulda had Scottie’s do an oil change and just thought of it. Oh well
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 09:56:23 PM »
Drives well. Did some logging and I think VG turbo may be stuck or actuator goofed up. I also think low power is due to lack of fuel so hopefully filter fixes. Demands 23-25mg/stroke of fuel at full go, but no changes in butt dyno past 13-15mg/s.

Intake is clean.

Didn’t check timing, but belt is on the way so that’ll get reset anyway.

Hopefully I can get the hatch to close a bit further or make the weather seal bigger to knock down some wind noise. That and some shocks and rebablance the tires and it won’t even feel like an unknown history twice rebuilt wreck!
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 12:54:25 AM »
New filters were no help. Oldies didn’t look bad. Have an overboost code. I bet the turbo vanes are jammed up, or the goofy actuation system is fuckered, and it’s throwing me to a limp mode once it overboosts which is why I didn’t notice until a highway run.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 05:41:44 PM »
Lost the serpentine belt just as I was getting up to Greece for turkey.

Everything spun free. Back side of belt looked like hell though. Pretty sure the tensioner locked up while under tension. Knew it was bad but didn’t think it’d vacate before Sunday’s planned wrenching.

Battery recovered to 12.0 after starting and killing the DRLs. Still at 12.0 when I got home.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 11:00:07 PM »
Timing belt job done. Found 2 finger loose bolts.
Serpentine failure was the idler disintegrating, not tensioner locking.

Pulley was gone entirely so I missed it as root cause in situ.

Code set for overboost. Vacuum lines look good. Have a lil hunting to do on that. Daily status as a slow car in the mean time, see how she does.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 04:35:49 PM »
confirmed turbo vanes are sticking. didn't remove the actuator, but I do feel the actuator try to move and confirmed solenoid func.

only goes into limp for overboot when sustained (read:highway - it's fine around town). I'm not going to touch that until fixed, could probably lift the head on stock fueling maps if I let it think it was boosting properly while actually pushing far past the 15psi that the stock MAP sensor can read to.

Last known issue worth caring about. Only other thing is rear hatch doesn't lock or defrost. Probably wiring disconnected.
If I keep it for a while I might swap traction control into it at some point, and probably heat the seats, and investigate the AC situation.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 07:01:12 PM »
Decided to grab a turbo for this pup to send it if I don’t use drivetrain to reposed something else. Received one empty and open envelope and turbo manifold sticking out of box. Amazon is slipping. Hopefully it’s in better shape inside. Impossibly cheap Chinese unit with all gaskets included.

oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2021, 04:46:20 PM »
starter warrantied last week and just installed. I'd had to borrow for the wagon. both were alread carquest remans.
fired up immediately. no smoke no hesitation. this is a better motor than the one in the wagon....

power steering pressure line failed while it was sitting.

theoretically prepping for sale to eric and abbey, but I kinda just want to keep as drivetrain and chassis spares.
oh lord!

KingtheZJ

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2021, 05:56:41 PM »

theoretically prepping for sale to eric and abbey, but I kinda just want to keep as drivetrain and chassis spares.

Ahem. Wasn’t selling one of these part of the Z4 deal?

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2021, 07:18:31 PM »
if the parts go into the Z4 it doesn't count!

new turbo skipped the down pipe mounting studs, which always break and are never removable if they don't. Weird skip when it came with gaskets I figured it wouldn't. I don't have those on hand. Ordered. As long as the drain tube comes off whole, should be half a days' work and done. then it will hopefully just want brakes from sitting. Maybe a dressing will get them happy. Didn't seem like anything was stuck. Nothing else noticed.
oh lord!