Author Topic: garage heat  (Read 2795 times)

luvmyxj

• Paying Customer
garage heat
« on: November 18, 2016, 10:11:42 PM »
so to heat my garage in the winter i have both a kerosene radiant heater and a salamander. i loaded up my ugs and headed to the gas station to fill them up,looked at the price of kero and headed back home and figured theres gotta be another way.i could use waste oil and whatnot in the salamander but that seems stinky and just a pain. so searching i found some videos on youtube on making waste oil furnaces. so thats how i plan to heat my garage this winter and i do believe smike has a full drum of oil to get rid of.

luvmyxj

• Paying Customer
Re: garage heat
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 10:13:46 PM »
so what im starting off with is an old air compressor i bought when i was 19 that stopped pumpping air a couple years ago and i got some 3/8"th's copper tube and some vent materials

luvmyxj

• Paying Customer
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 10:24:08 PM »
i disasembled the compressor, cut a door in the tank and made some hinges.i then took some 1 1/4" tube and made a 90deg bend and drilled some holes near the bottom to bring in fresh air close to the flame and welded a washer on the end with a hole big enough to run the copper through. i decided instead of cutting a big hole in the house, i chose to vent it out of the window since i should have at least 10" of clearance to combustables, and made a heat shield from 16 ga.

luvmyxj

• Paying Customer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 10:31:47 PM »
got it set up for a test run to see how it works.

luvmyxj

• Paying Customer
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 10:35:22 PM »
1st run wasnt too bad. i was using a icemaker type shut off valve and i think it was restricting the flow and even at full open it was barely dripping enough to keep the flame going, so off to depot

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 12:08:24 AM »
Awesome...

How does it smell
I never wanted a red car.. always thought they were tacky and common...
I now have 4 very not common cars and they are all red.. :o

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 01:40:12 AM »
Neat! Interested... propane is expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

luvmyxj

• Paying Customer
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 09:03:35 AM »
only smell inside i notice is the paint on the tank and the galvanized coating melting which was expected, once you step outside theres a oily smell but not very strong.only smoke inside is if you open the door and it loses its draft, once i introduce some forced air it should burn more efficently and should be less smell and smoke.

luvmyxj

• Paying Customer
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 04:58:23 PM »
to introduce more air for better burn these guys on youtube will use hairdryers or some type of high volume air, problem is their super loud and not really made for continuous duty.so i figured id try maybe computer case fans i had laying around but they arent producing enough cfm's. so i took a motor out of a old dirt devil i have and put a fan on in and wired it to a 12v adapter. time for test run #2. still not enough airflow for efficient burn. for shits and gigs i exhaust output my shop vac to the supply and it took off and started to produce some serious heat and a temp change was noticed in the garage in only a few minutes.

luvmyxj

• Paying Customer
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 05:10:44 PM »
anyone have suggestions for more air, i found some 200cfm case fans, one youtuber used a boat bilge pump but idk anything about those. point here is silent as possible with maximim air flow

jacel86

• Free Loader
    • Tallmadge Tire
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 05:19:42 PM »
Just threw out an enclosed squirrel cage from a big ass heater. Crap

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

luvmyxj

• Paying Customer
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 05:26:21 PM »
yeah i wish i had the blower fans from the f350 or the ranger still around

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 08:55:08 PM »
I think my blower fans are all gone. Bilge blowers are louder than auto hvac blowers; need 12v for either. Pick whichever is cheaper.... bonus to the bilge blower is you don't need an enclosure: they already have one.

oh lord!

luvmyxj

• Paying Customer
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 09:37:57 PM »
mikemike you got any psu around?

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 10:30:33 PM »
I've got a ton of 5-6 year old computers that will be heading for recycling since they're too old to hand me down. Small form factor though so the fans are probably 120mm and smaller.

If you want to try something with them, make a plan to head to campus sometime and I can load you up or we can strip some fans from them.

oh lord!