Author Topic: and again, passenger plates on a "truck" in NYS  (Read 2636 times)

M4wdFab

• Administrator
and again, passenger plates on a "truck" in NYS
« on: February 09, 2016, 03:56:05 PM »
Can I register my pick-up truck as a 'passenger' class vehicle?

Yes. Your pick-up truck can qualify for passenger class plates if it meets certain conditions, depending on its unladen weight.

If you have a modified or unmodified pick-up truck with an unladen weight less than 6,001 lbs., then you may register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:
the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements, and
the pick-up is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
If you have a modified pick-up truck with an unladen weight greater than 6,000 lbs., then you may register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:
the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements and is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
a camper top having one or more side windows completely encloses the truck bed,
the pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or camping equipment installed in the truck bed ('camping  equipment' indicates that you have a bed, a stove, or a refrigerator in the vehicle)
NOTE: These modifications must be permanent.  If you use the pick-up truck without the required modifications, then you must register it in the commercial registration class.

You are not required to apply for passenger class plates for your pick-up. You can use commercial plates.

See Information For Pick-Up Truck Owners (MV-114) to get more information.

cracker

• Free Loader
Re: and again, passenger plates on a "truck" in NYS
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 04:03:13 PM »
the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements and is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes

that seems to make it possible.. as long as sponsorship/stickers do not mean commercial... hmm

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 04:05:55 PM »
no, only way is to lie and say its got a camper on the back. 

filling the form out, bringing a picture and done

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 04:07:53 PM »
camper top:  headake rack
camping equipment : bed and pillows in ram, ax and torch in bed box

if only engineers ruled the world....

Ryan

• M4wd Vendor
  • Superstar
    • Lifetime LED
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 04:14:45 PM »
Moving out of NY seems like an easier solution...... ;D

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 04:19:33 PM »
maine will also plate my truck, should have just did that from new, and banked the 4500$ in tax money for fines if needed later

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 05:14:40 PM »
Yup. Or do an llc in another state and drive a company truck.  More above board than registering personally in another state. Montana is popular - but popular to the point of getting unwanted attention so I’ve heard. Not sure what can be done beyond harassment since a company can form anywhere it wants and can own and license vehicles. Its a known tax dodge though. Corporate insurance is the only other practical hassle.

Tapatalking in traffic
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 05:30:30 PM »
but "company truck" must lead the way to commercial...? 

id be fine with a NYS plate that says passenger, but plated for the same 12K  no way they would question that or know about the law if NYS DMV issued the plate  properly.   

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 05:56:53 PM »
Hmm, good point. Class of registration is what matters here though. I’m not sure about Maine or Montana when UR comes to 1+ ton trucks. I do recall Minnesota heavy trucks got different plates as well.

RV for the win, I guess

Tapatalking in traffic
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 06:16:49 PM »
i still dont want a useless 50K thing sitting somewhere.  a 45/5500 is so much more usefull to me.  and its nice. 

im curious how JJ plans to do his

maybe some imput from Nick on his iner state CMV usage and regs would also help

passenger plated truck and breaking the 26K law seems the best route, since the scales will never ding for passenger plate....

Nick

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 10:52:40 PM »
My dump is registered at 33,200 lbs the heavy truck stuff is a registration every year not two like a normal vehicle. My insurance just for my dump truck is around $1400 a year I also pay a HUT tax thing that you get a number and sticker and a couple times a year they mail a thing and you fill out what your milage is and send in a check.  It is really cheap like $40 every couple months something around there.  I have a company DOT number also.  I don't really know much since I am not and never was taught much I just learn as I go.  I didn't know about HUT number for like a year and a half after I noticed every dump truck I seen had a funny sticker I didn't have.  I have never once been hassled on any of my stuff and I'm on the road all day everyday pretty much all summer.  Now crossing state lines is probably a whole different ball game that I have no idea.  That's my little bit of knowledge and if I was in your shoes I would just avoid all that extra attention and take every sticker off your trailer and just roll dirty!

Ryan

• M4wd Vendor
  • Superstar
    • Lifetime LED
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 10:20:01 AM »

gif

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 10:23:54 AM »
SEMA now has a website for all the laws.

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=motorsports_trailers&g=SEMAGA

i have never seen a firewood truck/trailer covered...

It is unlawful to operate any
open truck or trailer
transporting loose materials,
unless the truck or trailer has
a cover

JWOK

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 09:25:41 PM »
Recently I bought a 96 12 valve dually 2wd. I remembered all the issues you guys were having when hauling and having commercial plates.  I went to the DMV and asked if I could get passenger plates. She looked at the title, checked the passenger plate box on the form and voilà.
So, the reason I was able to be successful is because the titled weight of the truck is 5800lbs.  I don't think the weight is true but I'm going with it  ;)   I guess you just gotta put the tow pigs on a diet.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk