Author Topic: Ford Ranger ECM wiring  (Read 7118 times)

M4wdFab

• Administrator
Re: Ford Ranger ECM wiring
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 08:02:47 PM »
Alternater kick wire needs fused ignition power also.  It's a grey connector with a yellow/white trace.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2021, 11:49:26 AM »
my god does the search function on this forum SUCK

took over 20 searches to find this thread.  and i was there last night- ended up just digging in my history, what a fail search

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2021, 11:53:06 AM »
pulled my truck apart to trace what wires i used from the engine plug since the one i got was from a V6 truck and the colors were different. 

assembled and test fired, still no joy.  messed with many things for few hours- the green brolite just wont make spark. 

i swapped my PCM and it started first try. 

many more starts that night fine.

no start this morning again. 

called around for a crank position sensor, nothing close.  thinking it has to be that.  awesome that its super buried and probably wont want to come out. 

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2021, 05:32:07 PM »
deleted all factory cab and dash wiring from Wills bro today and runs now on disconnect and start / ignition switch.  also installed a 1.5:1 quickner and deleted the colum clap trap.

willwood clutch and a few others tomorrow.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2021, 09:59:44 PM »
updated

(1) gut all wires from truck chassis, leave ECM harness to Engine untouched, cut wires at engine bulkhead connector on driver side of engine near brake booster, i left them about 2' long.
(2) from the wad of engine connector wires, discard all but the solid yellow wire (ecm keep alive), solid red wire (ignition wire), Red with green trace is ignition coil power, and two heavy gage black with white stripe wires ( ECM grounds).  nothing else is needed.  Purple wire is OBD signal if you care.  power and ground to these connections the motor will fire with fuel and a cranking starter motor.

(3) Alternator kick wires need fused ignition power also.  It's a grey connector with two wires yellow and green both need power for the alt to charge.

The easiest way to stream line the new wiring is to use a master disconnect and a push button for starter motor cranking.  (1)Master disconnect supply side hook up a small 2 amp fuse for PCM keep alive.  (2) maintain alt charge wire connection  (3)Master disconnect load side ON hook up feeds for fused power to fuel pump, (4)fan, (5)ignition/coil, (5)alternator kick circuits.  My truck the disconnect feeds 4 maxi fuses cut from 1 section of the OEM fuse box. 

done.