Author Topic: Cummins no start  (Read 1639 times)

KingtheZJ

Cummins no start
« on: January 12, 2015, 02:18:50 PM »
First time 2 weeks ago fuel shutoff solenoid wouldn't open when key cycled to on. one time issue and nothing since.

go to start last night after sitting for 48 hours and no start. not getting fuel at injectors. fuel shutoff will not work on its own and I have to lift it manually every time but then it will stay up. change fuel filter and nothing. try priming system with lift pump and no overflow hiss and no pressure at the filter. lift pump replaced 10k ago with cummins brand pump.

Whats the chance of water in fuel froze in the line? I took it from empty to 1/2 tank with diesel on Thursday or Friday (cant remember)

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
Re: Cummins no start
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 02:22:19 PM »
Chances on the lift pump, OE of aftermarket extremely high..
I never wanted a red car.. always thought they were tacky and common...
I now have 4 very not common cars and they are all red.. :o

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 03:00:34 PM »
Sounds like your shutdown solonoid is suspect at best. Take that out of the equation. Disconnect it and put a light spring or bungee on it. Pull it the other way to shut down. Perhaps with a string of zipties run into your door jam.

drain your fuel filter. does it drain? If there's not ice in the bottom of it plugging the drain, liklihood of water in fuel seems low.

This isn't a 24v with a shitty electronic lift pump. These lift pumps last almost as long as the injection pumps, and the P Pump will draw fuel through a bad diaphragm LP even if it's bad. You'll have no power but it'll run.

Check drain for water and get that shot shutdown solenoid off of there.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

KingtheZJ

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 03:07:35 PM »
no ability to drain filter. Housing was replace to accept spin on filters that have no drain. I do still have the one I removed, I will check it for water.

reason I dont suspect solenoid is I can turn key on, flip the solenoid to run and it will stay there. crank, no start. then back to the solenoid and its still up.

but I agree, I will remove that from the equation.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 03:15:50 PM »
silly question- grid heater status?   it be cold enough you need heat

Harrison

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 03:35:48 PM »
Next step for me would be small container of diesel with supply and return hoses into it with fresh filter full of diesel. If you can get it to prime and run, you know its something going on in the tank.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 06:47:58 PM »
yup

and that's why no-drain filters are a no-go IMO. I've had frozen fuel before, and I knew that was my problem without a doubt.
oh lord!

Harrison

Cummins no start
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 06:52:47 PM »
That's what you get for buying pump fuel! Never had water in any of my own! :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:54:26 PM by Harrison »

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 06:57:39 PM »
I never had it in my 12v. expensive parts attract the water, I guess :-\
oh lord!

KingtheZJ

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 10:05:31 PM »
Grid heater is functional. Fuel shutoff system seem functional other than not always pulling it up, but always stays up. Arm itself has proper amount of resistance. Prime lift pump and no pressure at filter still.

Nestled in the shop with work lights warming it and batteries on the charger.   

TrailTamer

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 12:26:45 PM »
I just had issues with my truck not starting.

It was mainly because of the cold and I was still running on WMO and the stupid GCFI got tripped so the block heater wasn't on.

You don't have fuel pressure via fuel pressure gauge?

One thing I just learned that if the battery got drained from either the cold, heater grid cycling, cranking, the fuel shutdown solenoid will not work well with low voltage when cranking. I found this out when the GFCI tripped. I had my neighbor to pull-start my truck (his truck is a Ford 6.0, no less! Haha) along with the fuel shut down solenoid tied in the up position. This was my worst one.

When I had issues with air in my fuel, I used starting fluid. If you'll use some, just a quick squirt on the BHAF, nothing more! And don't let the heater grid to cycle to avoid it from igniting the starting fluid.