Author Topic: Family Crawler Project  (Read 3127 times)

wnyjpgy

Family Crawler Project
« on: September 12, 2013, 10:57:13 AM »
Smike- I hope it's OK to put this here.

About a year ago I decided to part the Scrambler out after breaking the transfer case in half while wheeling in Bradford. There were a few reasons I made that decision, tired of working on it, worn out parts, different needs, and basically just time for something new.

During some conversation with a friend on the WNYO he had informed me of a rust free/slightly lifted 89 Grand Wagoneer on the IFSJA site, so I contacted the person and ended up buying it last october.

I've been driving it on and off for the last year and put a plow on it for driveway clean up, it's been a pretty good jeep so far. It has power everything, factory dana 44's, and a lockright rear locker.

Here's a picture the day I bought it.

I recently got bit by the wheeling bug and determined I missed it, so I put a plan together in my head (this is the first time I've written everything down) of what I wanted in a family style wheeler.

Here's a quick run down.

Full Frame
Factory v8
4 doors (since I have a 1 year old)
under 110" wheelbase
Able to plow the driveway (with heat)
Rear axle disconnect
Cutting Brakes (Possibly)
Half doors for the summer
Creature comforts for long trail days with a young child

So I immediately decided I needed another waggy for the doors, glass, and tail gate. So I found on in Akron, with another plow set up and purchased it.

The plan for the red one was to use the entire interior (which is almost complete), make 4 half doors for the summer, and cut the tailgate down and remove the glass. All of this should help save some sprung weight.

Next I had to decide on axles, and I've gone back and forth on the dana 44's that are under it vs a set of 60's.

I have 2 sets of waggy 44 axles, so I have all kinds of spare parts, and I have extra  8" wide steel wheels, and a set of 35" Cooper Stt's, sounds like a done deal, put it all toegether and wheel it nice to prevent breakage.

Well, I found a good deal on a set of 60's so they were purchased, I have a chevy front and a ford rear so they will be getting installed. This will help with unsprung weight.

On to tires, I didn't want to go back to 15" wheels on 8 lug axles due to clearances and what not, so I purchased a set of Maxxis Creepy Crawlers in the 37x12.5x16 flavor, so that's what it will be rolling around on.

I have already built a bumper and bought a winch as well.

My biggest dilema is what to do with the roof, cut it off completely, and have a bolt on roof skin, make it a 4 door tuck, etc. Here are some pictures I have saved.

I have a few purchases to make to have everything to complete the project but alot of the big purchases are complete so I thought I would start a thead.

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
Re: Family Crawler Project
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »
why not make a 90% sunroof?

leave 1.5" around the rain gutter and cut the center section out..
would make it easy to either use the metal top or canvas with snaps to get a roof back...
doors would close nice and you wouldn’t even notice it was a convertible unless you saw the top.
thing has AC right.. take advantage of it!!!!
I never wanted a red car.. always thought they were tacky and common...
I now have 4 very not common cars and they are all red.. :o

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 11:14:14 AM »
^^^ This!  Best of both worlds.  And keeps momma and kiddo happy not getting rained on or sweltering in 90+ muggy heat...
Retired

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 11:17:19 AM »
I like that idea a lot! Just have to be careful about crushing that top edge rubbing on things or else the top nor the full doors will fit too well... Halo rub rail?
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

wnyjpgy

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »
I enjoy having a roof panel to minimize getting poked with sticks and the random rain storm.

I can see the drip rails being destroyed in one year of wheeling and well as the doors being dented which is the reason I'm building the half doors from the other jeep, I'm going to try to save the rust free doors as long as possible.

As funny as it sounds cutting the roof off even with the top of the doors would save it, in the summer have the cage skinned with an aluminium roof panel and use the half doors, have provisions in the cage to bolt the roof back on and run the full doors in the winter.

and yes, I know I'm a little odd.

wnyjpgy

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 11:20:14 AM »
Thanks fo the ideas and replies.

I did have the truck cab idea with mostly a interior cage, with a few external tubes along the drip edge, and on top of the roof, maybe I should re think that.

Truck cab vs, leaving the entire roof vs, cutting it entirely off, I would like to hear pro's and con's if anyone would like to share.

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 11:22:03 AM »
Obviously, truck cab is no good if you have more than one passenger...  ;)
Retired

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 11:23:16 AM »
I really like the convertible idea. Whether you make it a pickup is kinda separate.
oh lord!

wnyjpgy

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 11:49:25 AM »
By truck cab, I meant a 4 door truck similar to the picture in my first post.

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 11:55:11 AM »
keep the AC... your grundle with thank you..

wnyjpgy

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 12:12:56 PM »
Here's a convertible pic without a cage.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 12:46:36 PM »
That's terrible. I like keeping the roof line whether via visible cage bars or keeping the drip rail and door seals

Tapatalking in traffic
oh lord!

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 01:50:43 PM »
buy my jeepster if thats what your after...
strait trade? ;)

etk300ex

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 02:07:02 PM »
I like convertible with a roof line/pillar matching cage, you know it wont last long the any other way :D

wnyjpgy

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 01:25:04 PM »

Ordered the Creepy's thursday and they are here already.

4wd.com did pretty good on this order, tires were $390 a piece on line, talking to one of their people about club discounts and what not, they came down to $350 a tire, and shipped all 4 for a total of $50.

Wheel decisions, and axle components are next.