Author Topic: '02 TJ with i4 -- Mid Life Crisis  (Read 58059 times)

M4wdFab

• Administrator
Re: '02 TJ with i4 -- Mid Life Crisis
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2013, 12:37:02 PM »
Save your self some coin and check the toe with a tape measure.  Put both sides of front axle on Jack stands, pick a point on each tire most forward, measure, roll those two points half turn and measure in wheel well below lower control arms

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2013, 12:47:26 PM »
Should be toed in 1/8" or so on 30s, as in the total difference in distract between those points should be 1/80 less on the front than the back.

Chalk tape or paint marker work well to make your measuring marks. Go ahead and use the tread but don't count on it being 100% true: rotate the tires a half turn and measure on the same marks.

Tapatalking in traffic
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

jaysenodell

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2013, 02:39:21 PM »
Alignment was needed. Toe was -0.3l and +0.6R (degrees). Done. Problem is less, but still exists when the suspension unload over a bump. Steering stabilizer is shot (piston is loose and I verified). Shop suggested I do it myself which seems very doable.

Does this seem like a reasonable source of the problem?
Mid Life Crisis in the making -- '02 TJ i4 manual, Aussie Locker magic pulling from the front

Harrison

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2013, 02:57:09 PM »
You can take that off and leave it off. If replacing it fixes the death wobble, it's only masking the real issue.

My next guess would be the trackbar. Either wallowed out the hole on the axle end like Smike said or the joint at the frame end is shot. This can be verified by having one person steer the wheel back and forth with the wheels on the ground while you look for play at either end.

Did you disconnect your swaybars at WP? Increasing suspension travel like that is probably making that worn 1XX,XXX mile trackbar joint move in ways it never has before... mine did not last long once the swaybars started getting disconnected frequently.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:59:25 PM by Harrison »

jaysenodell

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2013, 03:36:23 PM »
No play detectible. All motion I saw matched the motion of the body as the wheels moved though the range. At the extremes of steering there was nothing at all. Wingman provided a video that showed the test. I couldn't detect any motion let alone as much as seen there.

Swaybars attached since last/only trip to rausch. Figured it wasn't needed. I expect the axles have a all the 120K mi on them...

I'm sure I'm missing something.
Mid Life Crisis in the making -- '02 TJ i4 manual, Aussie Locker magic pulling from the front

Ryan

• M4wd Vendor
  • Superstar
    • Lifetime LED
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »
You should get it to M4 so it can be looked at. Should not take long to detect the problem there.

jaysenodell

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2013, 03:50:11 PM »
That's what I'm thinking. Looks like I need to set up a visit. What's the best way to plan this?

jaysenodell

« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2013, 03:23:11 PM »

Some time on youtube was needed. I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqV2bUi0tGc which lined up with http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/how-to-fix-your-own-death-wobble/ and http://www.jeepz.com/forum/suspension/29510-wrangler-death-wobble-what-causes-how-fix.html

Would a "clunk" in the joint between the pitman rod and drag link (that how the kevinsoffroad diagram is labeled) be a likely death wobble cause? You can feel it in the drag link and pitman if you put your hand on them when direction changes.

I also checked the trackbar again. While I don't "see" motion I can feel motion. It is seems likely to be rotation of the trackbar end which seems normal based on what I think it does.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:02:24 PM by jaysenodell »

KingtheZJ

« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2013, 03:38:53 PM »
i have a drag link and i think a tie rod you could try on to see if it helps.

also have a kevins offroad steering stabilizer, which will only mask the issue, but could buy you time to replace parts/diagnose.

i'm in walworth

jaysenodell

« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2013, 04:33:36 PM »
Thanks for the offer. Wasnt paying attention and got an end from Napa and put it on. No more slop in steering but now have very clear trackbar movement. Bolt is not moving and tightened it up. No good still death wobbling and visible trackbar movement.

Looks like a call to M4 ...

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2013, 11:12:58 AM »
i ordered a track bar for you / m4 stock, didnt get a chance to check if the M4 stocked one i have from NuWay is a match up- either way we can make it work. 

Advance also carries a Moog "problem solver" bushing for 15$   if your chassis end is good, or you wana save some parts / labor $$ that could be an option also.

jaysenodell

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2013, 11:29:06 AM »
As I was driving in to the office (actually, the wife was chauffeuring which is a complete change in roles), it dawned on my that I may not have the right trackbar. Previous owner did a 3" lift which I think means the stock trackbar might not be long enough. I'll check for left/right alignment once I am near the death machine.

Do you want me to grab the bushing kit? I'm more concerned about "doing it right" than a few bucks right now. Mrs agrees.

And if anyone needs to convince the wife that a few extra dollars need to be thrown at a repair, a spin in a death wobbler does wonders.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2013, 11:39:48 AM »
must need a long arm kit, a rubicon case, and new 35"s tires to fix it then hahaha!

how are the ball joints in this thing? 

you can try the bushing replacement if thats the only play you see, it might just be that easy of a fix.  if the frame side of the track bar is hosed, then might need to be pulled / replaced.   

Moog Track Bar Bushing
Part No. K3176
Instock in Henrietta

most cheaper 2-4" lifts just tell you to drill a new hole in the track bar bracket axle side to effectively make your track bar longer at a little bit of geometry loss/error- should be fine in stock location, you just might notice your driver wheel is 1/2" further out from the boddy than the passenger wheel. 

jaysenodell

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2013, 07:05:16 AM »
Any chance we can plan to bring MLC to M4 on Thursday? If Wednesday is the best option for you I can do it, just seem to have less on the plate Thursday late afternoon.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2013, 09:42:42 AM »
bring it to the club meeting tonight have a couple guys look at it?