Author Topic: TurnedUp  (Read 60102 times)

M4wdFab

• Administrator
Re: TurnedUp
« Reply #180 on: May 31, 2013, 10:17:22 AM »
the 1um spin on filters i use at work are the shat- rated for all fuels and biodiesel

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: May 31, 2013, 10:23:44 AM »
do they have a bypass? pressure rating? thinking that would be a nice filter to pump through as a last step.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

Harrison

« Reply #182 on: May 31, 2013, 10:54:06 AM »
I ended up doubling up the 1um for peace of mind. Pry overkill. I dumped a thicker batch in and it's slowed down quite a bit. I'm going to clean out the 10, 25, 75 filters and see how much more I can get out of these. I've about broken even on the filters at this point.

Next plan is to get a 55gal drum setup with two 32" long filters dangling in them like Nick and Chad have. I'm going to add two spouts on it: one 12" up or so to drain fuel from and one at the very bottom to drain water/shat and take to the dump. Also plan to add a sight glass from bottom to top, hoping that will give me an idea of how much shat is at the bottom, and when draining is needed.

Low tech and cheap, should work well. Going to run my super low tech system for a little longer, maybe order a couple more 1um baby filters to get as much savings as I can. Maybe build a 'on the go' filter system out of another 5gal bucket out of the little filters so I can filter on the road as I find it.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: May 31, 2013, 11:06:51 AM »
exactly what I'd planned on setting up - but I never made the room to make it happen, too much shat and too many projects. very nice!
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: May 31, 2013, 12:11:49 PM »
ill get the spec sheet on them, but i remember they are rated to 60psi- we consistantly run them to 80psi all day long. 

and also there is a particle distribution, 1um does not really mean 1um

TrailTamer

« Reply #185 on: May 31, 2013, 12:24:51 PM »
You want to try filter as you find them on the road then dump straight into the tank? I won't suggest you to do that because the WMO will never get the chance to dewater.

By the way I just got home with wmo i got from Mr.Mindless's place

Shitload of water and thick sludgy WMO!!! Hell, I found a oil pickup tube in one of his bucket! Lol I'm not afraid to run this WMO.

How much you usually collect and process? I read on other forum where a guy who use a 250 gal or so tote with 6" cap on top. He bought a 7" sock filter which work perfectly on the top opening. But I still suggest a centrifuge for several reasons, I think the best part is that for centrifuge type filters, you're only paying for electric to run the pump because there's no filter to buy. I understand that you want to keep it simple though.

So, I'll suggest to you that any WMO you collect, mix it with a 15% of RUG, (Ex: a 55 gallon barrel will need 8.25 gallon of RUG to 46.75 gallon of WMO to make a W85 blend) then let it to settle for a minimum of a week to allow the sludge and water to settle to the bottom (so your filters will last longer) then pump/scoop out the good W85 off the top to do your final filtering, probably won't hurt to pump through  the 1um filters for a couple of passes that smike was talking about.

Blending the wmo with RUG will help majority of the sludge and water to settle to bottom, or most of it will remains suspended in the WMO.

I use HF's 1" clear water pump for my pumping needs. $35 each.

I run straight W85. Run as much as you want.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: May 31, 2013, 12:44:14 PM »
id say i have about 100 gallons if anyone wants it under my deck, all in 1gallon jugs, i weed kill with my lift drain and thats been dumped at least 5 times at 8 gallons

Harrison

« Reply #187 on: May 31, 2013, 01:05:08 PM »
This was the first batch I've made, just dumped through the filters and put it in the tank. Settling is probably good, this stuff sat in buckets unmoved for a long time but no gas mixed in. I avoided dumping the last inch of each in, definitely a mess on the bottom of the buckets.

Chad and Nick have 60k each on their trucks running a mix of whatever they can get their hands on, just dumping through a single 1um sock with maybe some settling time from what I gather.

As far as centrifuge, I was surprised at the price for just the centrifuge itself but you need to be able to supply it with 85psi of oil. Do you use the HF pump for that too? The pump PAbiodiesel sells is like $330. I'd like to net some decent savings from doing this before spending that much money. Once I get a 55gal drum setup, I will probably start adding some gas to the mix.

Since I can basically Google and find any answer I could ever want, I try to avoid doing that. So I'll ask you since I know you ACTUALLY do this stuff haha. How much water is usually suspended in WMO? I'm confident all but one of my buckets never would have had contact with water. That bucket clearly has about 1" of water on the bottom that I can see. For the rest, I was going on visually looking as I poured it. For now, I was going to heed the warning of my 'water in fuel' light and be good about draining the filter (less than 1k on this filter now and I carry a spare.)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:07:03 PM by Harrison »

TrailTamer

« Reply #188 on: May 31, 2013, 01:39:38 PM »
There are some people who piece together a electric motor and power steering pump off a junkyard car. I bought my motor/centrifuge package from pabiodiesel so I don't need to rig up a pump. Keep in mind that those spinner type centrifuge require high psi at around 85psi but low volume, so try avoid high volume pump or it'll not work great.

HF 1" clear pump definitely will not work because they only make half of the required psi to run the centrifuge. I use it to run through my spin on filters and into my truck's tank or my holding barrels.

The amount of water that could be in the WMO, I'll never know until I settle it out as I often get my WMO from sketchy sources. If you know your source are dry, then it won't be much if at all but it don't always happen.

For chad and nick, that's great to know that they're getting by with minimal filtering. The beauty of those 12v that they are very tolerable with alternate fuel.

I got my barrels from this guy on CL. $8 for the barrel with lid and ring, real deal.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/for/3823223101.html

mr.mindless

• Administrator
TurnedUp
« Reply #189 on: May 31, 2013, 01:43:07 PM »
I like the idea of at least a sock as a prefilter on the way into the tote

By the way I just got home with wmo i got from Mr.Mindless's place

Shitload of water and thick sludgy WMO!!! Hell, I found a oil pickup tube in one of his bucket! Lol I'm not afraid to run this WMO.

I knew a couple of them would be bad, no idea where a pickup tube came from though, damn. Maybe engine teardown and I forgot I left it draining? Lol

Glad you have the same confidence in your centrifuge that I do :) I think Smike's oil stash is about the same quality as mine.

Going forward, mine should be in much better shape.

Tapatalking in traffic
oh lord!

Harrison

« Reply #190 on: May 31, 2013, 01:50:37 PM »
Awesome info all around. Thanks a lot. If I can continue to realize some decent savings from doing this, I will definitely consider getting a centrifuge. Even though Chad will probably call me a pussy engineer, worrying too much haha! To me, the ability to pick up any oil from anywhere and know you can make it useable is huge.

Where is that dude with the $8 barrels? That's exaclty what I need! Might have to have somone scoop one for me, I plan to be out that way 4th of July with my truck. All the barrels here are $25-35 and are either ceramic lined (I'm guessing a no-go for drilling holes and welding bungs) and/or don't have removeable lids (not as big a deal.)

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: May 31, 2013, 02:07:44 PM »
i have been looking for 55gal drums too! 

ill take 4 if anyone gets ahold of the guy!

etk300ex

« Reply #192 on: May 31, 2013, 02:36:52 PM »
I got 2 or 4, 4gal jugs full if anyone wants, 100% 5k syntec

I also have a pretty constant supply of 4 gal water cooler jugs if anybody wants any

TrailTamer

« Reply #193 on: May 31, 2013, 02:45:53 PM »
The guy with $8 barrels is located around 10min drive north, and a little west of RIT. Not far away  from Mr.Mindless's place. Easy guy to work with. He don't keep those barrels in his warehouse where he sell beddings (lol). So you'll need to call him (number is in the CL ad) then he'll bring barrels to the warehouse for you to pick up or so.

Nick

« Reply #194 on: June 02, 2013, 07:16:49 AM »
You guys are way over thinking this just filter it and run it you will be fine. We have been doing it for many many miles and thousands of gallons in 3 vehicles with not one problem. But I know how you engineers think if you can't put it on a excel spread sheet and calculate the results you don't feel comfortable   :)