Author Topic: CNC plasma cutting  (Read 3841 times)

M4wdFab

• Administrator
CNC plasma cutting
« on: December 01, 2023, 11:16:27 PM »
Picked up mikes Langmuir table to borrow for a bit.

just pounded through entire software install and process to produce first G code to try and burn tomorrow after hardware setup.

fusion 360- sketch part make dxf
Fusion CAM  make tool paths / g code
Fire control- load program to machine to burn /

pretty neat process, videos on site make it pretty idiot proof.  only annoying a few times that selections/process was outdated to latest versions but nothing major. 

hold on to your butts! 

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: CNC plasma cutting
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 10:07:11 AM »
It was the hooking up to the plasma cutter for power feedback and height control feedback that seemed like the only potential hard part. Glad the computer side seemed good so far.

That was my first bone stock Microsoft win11 install, really gross process. I kinda can’t stand 11. Hopefully I turned off and uninstalled enough crap to make it tolerable. Not looking forward to having to move everything to it.

I’ve got an old Surface that I think I’m going to try and set up my car diagnostics software and radio programming on. Don’t really look forward to reinstalling all that stuff either. Silly to need so many things. BMW diags, vw diags and I think two programming titles, GM programming, two different radio programming programs…
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 08:24:50 PM »
entire machine sprayed down with simple green and cleaned, slats pulled and needle scaled, flipped over.  water table chipped out and vacuumed up.  wired, and really got it semi going first try.  little tweaking and learning and im off and going! 

no complaints or annoyances with the lap top, runs crip and clean.  I haven't tried to load up my LS PCM software yet but would be nice if it plays ok that (PCM hammer and Tuner pro)  Flashing a PCM right now actually with another broken screened (mosty pink display now lol) lap top thats still barley kicking

i didnt look in to power feed back to much as i could only round up 1 of the 4 missing cables/plugs id need, so right now it just has initial height torch sense (which is really annoying to get to work right) 

i kinda plan on buying a CNC ready higher amp plasma and just buy the cable that plugs in (or wolfi said he has a cable for me) 

successfully cut out lower link chassis tabs out of 1/4" and have design work started for uppers.  perfect timing as picking up the other SD60 tomorrow in niagara falls. 

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 07:33:23 PM »
Awesome all around!
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 06:37:51 PM »
almost pulled the trigger on a hypertherm 1000 today, but decided to hold off. 

i put some more work in to tweaking settings and learning how to get my 380 to cut 1/4" with good results today. 

cut out all the lower link tabs for the buggy, turned out awesome. 

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 08:54:18 PM »

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 12:04:26 PM »
I wonder how much that height feedback would help the cut quality
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 05:22:07 PM »
not much at all when cutting small tabs in 1/4"   that heigh control really helps for the guys cutting big signs in thin metal that lifts alot. 

the initial height sense is pretty good and works great since it re sets the cutting height every tab / hole / cut ect.   not much variation in 4-6" run in 1/4" plate. 

i did grab 3 connectors from wolfi last night and he has 2 other CNC port connectors also in his stash

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2023, 07:28:44 PM »
gotten pretty good at printing out parts at a level thats much faster and better quality than i could ever do by hand.   still on same tip and electrode i started with so that seems to be lasting a lot longer also. 

1/4" plate seems to cut fine with 10 ipm  with the 27amp Hypertherm380

only thing i cant seem to figure out is https://www.langmuirsystems.com/fireshare any of the cut ready files i run and cant get the IHS to work right so it cuts like shit with like 1/8" air gap.  nothing to adjust in software, cant physically move head, because it just resets every cut to the wrong height again.

i guess hooking up the THC feedback would fix this.  I may go this path as i think im happy with my cutter for now and dont plan to get a larger CNC ported cuter at this time. 

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2023, 07:30:32 PM »
IHS - initial torch height.  zaxis goes down, contacts, raises to spec then cuts. 

THC- Torch height control- uses feed back of voltage and current of the plasma cutting to calculate the air gap and maintain it during cutting. 

gif

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2023, 03:17:31 PM »
I got into the habit of brushing the drag tip of the torch and then putting on a finger smear of welder anti-spatter paste.   Very noticeable less drag when cutting, especially on aluminum.  On longer cuts I will actually smear some on the intended cut line.  Works great. This makes the consumables last forever.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2024, 04:49:33 PM »
insufficient computing power for doing anything 3D in fusion.  as soon as your try to extrude or do anything beyond 2d sketch, it pukes or takes 2min+ to do an operation.

not sure i can pull off a diff cover without it, already burned up too much steal and time doing it the guess and check method.  ha

i did burn out some finals out of 5/16" plate and need to use nicks press brake to bend them when he gets back in town. 

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2024, 10:00:26 PM »
Interesting!
I’m trying to set up another shop laptop now. Has a tiny bit more power but I bet not enough to matter.
oh lord!

M

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2024, 10:02:17 PM »
minimum specs required?

I can see if I have any C or D grade laptops I can sell for cheap that would be perfect in a shop environment.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2024, 11:19:13 PM »
Current is a Latitude 7400 i5/16gb iirc. ~$980 machine summer 2020
oh lord!