Author Topic: trailer winch power tech  (Read 1072 times)

M4wdFab

• Administrator
trailer winch power tech
« on: November 22, 2020, 08:54:31 PM »
looking at options for winch power.

my international was a heavy gage plug to chassis batteries which worked great, but only as a pair. 

I use my equipment trailer mostly behind the RAM but occasionally behind a hotrod. 

not sure i want to dedicate a good battery to my trailer but i guess that's the way it needs to be if using multiple tow pigs. 

I know Mikes goose has some solar contraption to charge an onboard battery, but really hasn't ever worked for me more than a 10 second winch  pull.  Looks like amazon has auto disconnect charge kits so that truck charges trailer battery, but disconnection when draw is over X amps or X volts- i guess that would work when using RV 7 way plug +12 to charge a trailer battery. 

in the end i am thinking run hard cable for the ram under hood from chassis dual batteries with a HD connector to trailer at rear, then have a HD connector to leads so i can grab an extra battery if needed when running with a hot rod, or inevitably when friend borrows trailer. 

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: trailer winch power tech
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 09:34:44 PM »
I usually put my worst ok battery on the trailer. I think the solar is useless. It was a hope to make batteries last longer.

It charges from the truck feed when plugged in, the 7 pin has a dedicated +12

I wonder if I may have a parasitic draw somewhere with that solar? Steve put a blem deep cycle on it from Interstate and it’s 95% shot. It load tests to like 40 amps and won’t pull anything.

A real battery is what to do.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 09:35:17 PM »
Lead is much cheaper than copper.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 09:47:20 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Hi-Amp-Universal-Quick-Connect-Trailer-Mounted/dp/B0722J4ZQR/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9EDM97TN3FZ4G2JQ2JEH 

i think something like that would fit the bill. 

leads for truck main power to rear, winch leads on trailer, external battery leads (not sure set up to run winch, or jump truck as they mention, or both?)