Author Topic: 97 Dodge Ram 2500, AKA Shitty Dodge  (Read 32491 times)

TrailTamer

Re: 97 Dodge Ram 2500, AKA Shitty Dodge
« Reply #255 on: October 13, 2021, 11:01:54 AM »
So.

the NV4500 decided to delete it's overdrive gear, a 4 speed trans now. Spinning 2,500 rpm at 70 mph in 4th gear.

5th gear went out..... eventfully. Towing my XJ up a grade in Dansville NY I-390 southbound area. CRUNCH as engine revs into red. Downshift into 4th and keep on trucking until the next rest area and carefully coasted just enough to confirm I still have 3rd gear for in case the input shaft's gear broke (I will only have 4th gear and all other gears in-op if I understand correctly). Finished my trip to AOAA over the Columbus Day weekend and back home without the overdrive gear.

Now what....?

I am going to order 5th gear, 5th gear nut and the dumb $$$ tools to do the new 5th gear install in-vehicle.

worst case scenario I find 5th gear teeth all stripped clean off, the trans will be coming out to be gone through. At that point its a possibility a built 47re will find its way in instead (with billet input shaft this time). Lets see what I find once I have the t-case & adapter off..... humbug

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #256 on: October 13, 2021, 11:51:37 AM »
I think you'd feel the awfulness if it stripped teeth. I lost a tooth on mine and it was a terrible racket that I'm pretty sure I felt in the shifter.

the big question mark is did it fuck up the shaft with however it failed.
quad4x4 I think is who had all sorts of good info and what at the time I thought was the best fix, but it was on a new style shaft with better support f or the gear I think
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

TrailTamer

« Reply #257 on: October 13, 2021, 12:19:58 PM »
I think you'd feel the awfulness if it stripped teeth. I lost a tooth on mine and it was a terrible racket that I'm pretty sure I felt in the shifter.
I think it did stripped ALL teeth off. I lost 5th gear under boost towing my xj uphill with cruise control on. The awfulness, terrible racket was loud and shook my truck.... no way I could've reacted fast enough to 'save' whatever left on 5th gear as the cruise control fully send it to try hold 70mph.

I read that 5th gear nut usually backs off and lose 5th gear quietly after either shifting or coasting, never while under load....

the big question mark is did it fuck up the shaft with however it failed.
quad4x4 I think is who had all sorts of good info and what at the time I thought was the best fix, but it was on a new style shaft with better support f or the gear I think

the 'permanent' fix by torque king is discontinued  :'(
I believe there are only 2 imported full spline main shafts to choose from. I read that the one with 3-piece thrust washer is the best option on the market. The 5th gear nut will not come off, BUT the mainshaft and the 5th gear are 'wear item'. Their spline will eventually wear out and strips as the 5th gear is not press-fit whatsoever and get side loaded by the gear below and changing in power flow via accelerating and coasting. New-Venture fucked up the design on nv4500.

https://torqueking.com/product/721/qk1001-dodge-nv4500hd-4x4-mainshaft-5th-gear-and-nut-kit/

I will reuse the existing mainshaft if the 5th gear nut held on for it's dearest life and the gear teeth lost.
No way I will toss it if the 5th gear nut stayed on lol