Author Topic: Harry's Buggy  (Read 13578 times)

M4wdFab

• Administrator
Re: Harry's Buggy
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2020, 09:39:33 PM »
cant find a pic, but ya a 1/4" strap bent around the bearing with two tabs.  fab it up tight with like 2 washers inbetween one of the bolt holes, then when you bolt it up its tight and under compression pretty good.

matt

« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2020, 01:11:04 PM »
Something to consider if you haven't already,  Is the collar spring loaded to the shifter?  Otherwise you will need to hold the handle until the splines line up and it engages. 

My tractor 4wd is like that.  Trying to disengage 4wd will moving forward and turning the steering wheel and pulling the level.

Harrison

« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2020, 01:47:11 PM »
Something to consider if you haven't already,  Is the collar spring loaded to the shifter?  Otherwise you will need to hold the handle until the splines line up and it engages. 

My tractor 4wd is like that.  Trying to disengage 4wd will moving forward and turning the steering wheel and pulling the level.

There are detents to hold it at each end of it's travel, but not planning to spring load anything. Not a whole lot different than shifting any other non-synchro machine, will take a little finesse.

Harrison

« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2020, 12:16:45 PM »
Harness bar and radiator mounted, fuel cell tentatively mounted. Coolant lines run to and from radiator under seat, ran out of material before I could make engine side connections. Cutting brake master and lever mounted.

Comanche has a sweet rod knock so I retooled garage last night to deal with that, likely no updates here for a few weeks. Cool to see side profile from further away than 3ft, makes me realize how small it's going to be. Need to grab my spare 39 from the trailer when I have a chance to use for scale.

I am still working but Hannah's furloughed and uncertain times, so I am hoping to knock out some things on this with parts I have in stock or that aren't big dollar expenditures.

Finish coolant tubing
Mount pedal assembly - decided to use integrated booster, throttle, brake pedal assy from Jetta
Buy/mount steering wheel
Mount shifter
Finish chassis backhalf tubing
Buy/mount intake/intercooler piping
Likely take on link design myself - parts are all here
Buy heims and build tie rods
Wiring (dread)
AR plate for belly - pending material cost
Plenty of other odds and ends to be tackled I'm sure

Believe I have all axle components to make a roller. Bought 4 superjoints from Dan a few months ago but need all the other bling stuff plus air shocks - about rounds out the big expenditures left that I can see.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2020, 02:41:06 PM »
Sorry to hear about furlough and rod both.

curious to see how that radiator keeps up. You reusing the stock SMIC somewhere? Those are the packaging issues I keep thinking about.
Deciding between a short/wide FMIC behind the front bumper or the stock SMIC on the side behind the passenger front tire. Stock radiator doesn't have much in the way of air flow but size is OK, could probably run a quality shroud and be OK. It's behind the footwell in front of the engine. Bit of a scoop should help that not be a low pressure zone at road speed with the front axle causing undercar turbulence?
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2020, 02:41:47 PM »
oh, I see that FMIC in the side shot. 👍
oh lord!

Harrison

« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2020, 03:38:04 PM »
oh, I see that FMIC in the side shot.

Yup! FMIC with dedicated 12v fan. Radiator is a 3 core TJ replacement unit with 16” fan, I’m thinking that’ll do but we’ll see.

Harrison

« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2020, 01:15:05 PM »
No updates in over 2 months  :(

But...

Comanche is running well.
Hannah goes back to work 9/8 and Covid benefits cover most of her pay.

...and we found out we have to leave our rental, so we are buying a house! Hopefully closing at the end of July. Has a big wide driveway and this behind it:

Gonna be a crazy couple months but once we are settled, I am excited to jump back on this project!!!

etk300ex

« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2020, 01:44:54 PM »
Awesome!

cracker

• Free Loader
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2020, 03:05:59 PM »
that is all good news!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2020, 03:20:41 PM »
Glad you found a place and qualified without issue with all that's going on!!!
oh lord!

Harrison

« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2020, 08:47:04 PM »
2.5 months since last post in here, and still no buggy progress, but...

Spent the last few weeks getting myself setup in the new place. 100 amp subpanel, air lines all over, and many new tools purchased. Sinking my roots in so it's time to get my shop setup the best I can. I have spent the last umpteen years making brackets with a hand drill and angle grinder in a vise, and I am super excited to have some proper equipment.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2020, 11:46:11 PM »
looks like a good space to do more than enough damage!  Floor looks great shape.  consider a maxjax lift?  i loved mine, and the portability was great for when you want to zip 5 bolts out and move it out of the way. 

Harrison

« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2020, 12:19:52 PM »
Rear disconnect rebuilt after drivetrain moved. Flange bearing instead of pillow block. Extended fork 1" to clear bearing housing, still shifts well.

Front suspension mocked in place. All appears to be happy, getting about 2.5" of driveshaft length change over 15" of up/down travel. Max angle 27°, hopefully clearanced 1310 yokes will tolerate that.

Rear suspension next, then need to find some smaller things to peck away at while I pile up some cash for steering parts. I had planned to run single ended ram with tie rod to stock knuckle locations but I have talked myself/been talk out of that. So I need Solid knuckles, arms, double ended rams, and misc hardware for TWO axles.

With the suspension setup, I can confidently move toward a lot of smaller projects. Driver controls, coolant plumbing, intercooler plumbing, dash, chassis finish. Hoping to get a ton accomplished this winter. Drop axles for gearing Aprilish and take on the last 10% that seems to take everyone else I know 6 months.

Looks a little weird from the side view but I think once shocks, intercooler, winch, etc are there, it will look like the Jesse Haines and similar examples I've been modeling it after.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2020, 01:20:24 PM »
Seems like a sweet lol moon raker!
oh lord!