Author Topic: Harry's Buggy  (Read 13640 times)

Harrison

Re: Harry's Buggy
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2021, 07:34:14 PM »
Gonna be asking a lot of this pump, plus Eric is local for support and knows his shit. Just went with what he suggested.

Harrison

« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2021, 03:01:24 PM »
Drivetrain installed for the last time with oil pan skidplate added. Skid will need a brace. Plan to paint chassis as I go - underside of belly and everything covered by the drivetrain is painted.

Front axles are back from Dan with 5.38s and Torq lockers in both. Ordered one custom inner to test between both axles and confirm fit - all good. Wasn't too concerned but a load off my mind as far as proper measurements but mostly that my re-tube was in tolerance. Shaft has plenty of wiggle in both housings and tested to rotate with no issue with knuckles turned in both directions.

Ordered two more custom inner shafts (spare)
5 stubs are here
Short side inners (stock 80s/90s Ford) are out of stock according to everyone that dropships, I think I managed to grab a couple loose ones on eBay.
All other axle parts are in stock and just need assembly

Lugnut4x4 GM 3/4 caliper kits at all four corners

Front axle back in and double checked power steering pulley clearance and driveshaft angles/clearance with shocks in place. All good.

Working on my aluminum skills - coolant flange needed a hose rerouted, plus I added 1/8 NPT port for gauge sending unit.

Had a long conversation with my ECM/harness guy. He's nervous about the auto but was reassured I was aware of others using this trans in this application without major headaches. Sending out all that stuff tomorrow with a ~2 week turnaround time.

Coolant lines are leak tested and painted, ready to go in once chassis is finished and painted and ready for the rest of the cooling system to be installed.

Hydraulic plumbing next.
Have some fuel system parts in my Amazon list.
Chassis needs the last 10% of tubing and gussets added.

August is coming up fast...

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 03:06:24 PM by Harrison »

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2021, 04:09:30 PM »
What's the August goal, again? I want to see this thing.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

etk300ex

« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2021, 04:32:32 PM »
Thats months away haha

etk300ex

« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2021, 04:32:51 PM »
Looks good!

Harrison

« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2021, 07:30:29 PM »
2.5ish months to get this thing in a wheelable state seems reasonable assuming no major hiccups.

Fall Crawl is early September and depending how it all goes, Humble Pie is end of September.

Would like to have a good idea how well this whole experiment is going to go with a little time to react to those things.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2021, 07:59:09 PM »
looks fun

Harrison

« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2021, 08:17:35 PM »
looks fun

It is

I have never permitted myself to spend money like this. But with a deadline, clear deliverable, and supporting wife - just going for it. Feels awesome.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2021, 08:21:39 PM »
they print more money every day, meh

Harrison

« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2021, 01:04:27 PM »
Front axle assembly finished aside from locking hubs.

Axle weight. Pretty satisfied. Don't really see where I could have lost much more other than fancy brakes.

Steering components mounted. All fittings in-stock. DJ and are going to bring it to his buddy's shop to make up hoses once the chassis is a roller again.

Winch at full bump. Going to take gearbox cover off and clock the engagement lever forward by one hole pattern.

Steering wheel and shifter mounted.

Started on dash/doghouse. SO tedious. Pecking away at getting 1-2 panels done a night. Happy with how it's coming out, though. All the pieces around the engine/trans will get noise/heat insulation on the inside.

Harnesses and ECU shipped to dude for reflash and cutdown.
Transaxle outputs sent to club member for cryo treatment.
Chassis still needs another half a dozen tubes added.
Need to decide on and order harnesses and make mounts on the harness bar.

DJ came over the other night and we had a couple beers and put together a HUGE Amazon order.

All in stock:
Gauges
Switches
Wire
All exhaust components
All brake components
Odyssey battery and mount
Fuel pump and filters
Lights
Steering cooler
Rear suckdown winch

It's all about putting in the time at this point. Doing as much as I can every day.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2021, 01:45:50 PM »
Badass.

For my use, I would put a boot around that shifter. I expect there are electronical bits in there that are only the least bit waterproof for drink holder splashes and not for powerwashing or mudfest downpours.

Loving the doghouse panels.
oh lord!

Harrison

« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2021, 12:38:18 PM »
Doghouse complete minus rear piece on hoop. Will need to be built around intermediate shaft and rear disconnect, parts are still out for cryo.

Exhaust tacked together, happy with how it came out. Will get wrapped and then paneled over where floor panels don't offer coverage, then all panels will be high heat insulated on the inside.

Next is intercooler mounting and intake tubing.

Wiring harness and flashed ECU are in the mail back to me. Ordered fancy Ross-tech software and dongle thingy that I'm told is a must-have for VW tinkering.

Dad is not doing well, this coming weekend will be #4 in a row spent in Sodus. Progress is slow right now. August shakedown goal looks unlikely, hopefully can be out for a late fall run somewhere local at least.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2021, 04:41:45 PM »
If you need a break while you're here, holler. Best to dad and fam.
oh lord!

Harrison

« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2021, 02:36:37 PM »
Been jamming hard since life got back to normal. Got an invite to Humble Pie again this year on 9/24-26 weekend which I wasn't totally expecting with how little wheeling I've done. Going to double down and try to get this thing ready for it. Hannah and I are both taking the week after Labor Day off to get as much done as we can, will make a decision at the end of the week if it's worth signing up.

Intercooler/steering cooler mounted, intake tubing complete with MAP sensor port.

Remaining doghouse panels completed. Heat shield covering exhaust done.

Fuel cell mount completed.

Chassis tubing done.

Modified harness. Came out nice, very happy.

Added a tube to support the engine skid last night. Harness mounts tonight. Couple other odds and ends to weld on and it's getting painted tomorrow night.

Once painted, there is a ton to reassemble.

Next goal is making noise. All wiring and fuel system components on hand.

The list is slowly getting shorter but there is still a ways to go...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 03:46:55 PM by Harrison »

Harrison

« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2021, 12:04:09 PM »
DJ, Hannah, John Mac, Caleb and I all thrashed on this thing this weekend.

Chassis paint complete
Fuel system complete
Brake plumbing complete minus one special fitting
Doghouse panel insulation complete
Cooling system installed

Several other miscellaneous tasks also got crossed off the list.

DJ and I have moved onto wiring. Computers and relay boxes are mounted. Fingers crossed it can make noise this week or weekend.

I feel confident it can be done and moving in 2-3 weeks, but there will not be much time to react to any unexpected things that pop up.