Author Topic: MMTR Allroad Idiocy  (Read 11013 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
MMTR Allroad Idiocy
« on: October 10, 2019, 03:04:15 PM »
Click to embiggen
Asking $1750 in Brattleboro VT. Has some rust and a driver window issue, air suspension is all freshly re-bagged and air suspension is fully happy, daily driver status.

Asking $2000 in Greece NY, finally got back to me after a couple days. Can look at after 7p, but I've got flashlights.

Manual swap is available and done relatively often, $1200 in parts probably plus shipping. Automatics have torque converter issues, and almost all were sold as autos.
Inspiration and semi-plan. An updated and nicer Eagle. And 250hp stock from a twin turbo 2.7 v6 that's probably a maintenance nightmare.
more here http://mike.tepidcola.com/images/allroad/inspiration/

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 03:06:07 PM by mr.mindless »
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: MMTR Allroad Idiocy
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 03:09:41 PM »
lift kit credit to this post https://forums.quattroworld.com/allroad/msgs/266318.phtml
photos all broken in the post, I rehosted them. they are still online now but I don't want to lose them.
I've been working on an 2" lift kit for the allroad, and after several months of testing, here it is
Posted by: silva (1473) on 2017-11-05 10:51:38
Share | Report
After seeing Nogaro Nitwit's allroad with the BFGoodrich KO2 tires, I really wanted to do something similar. Having learned that he had some issues with the tires rubbing inside the wheel wells, I decided to lay under the car for a while and see if a light bulb would go on. I think it may have!

What you see in the photos below is level 1 at where level 2 used to be, and then each subsequent level being higher. You can also see that there's a 6" difference in height at level 4 compared to an allroad at level 1. There's a minimum of 11" of ground clearance (under the belly pan) at level 4 while most of the rest of the car has 14" of ground clearance. It's silly, really, but it works well. Another benefit of this is that even with the air suspension fully deflated, the over-sized tires do not rub in the fender liners (untested at full steering angles).

This was achieved by installing some 1" delrin body spacers between the front and rear strut mounting plates and the body. I designed and had them CNC-machined. A 1" spacer on the strut has lowered the location of the bump stop approximately 2". This will put the minimum height (fender to ground) at approximately 26.5", which is about the same as the stock allroad tire diameter. With the BFG 215/70/16 there is no rubbing with the suspension fully deflated.

The vertical connecting links between the suspension and the height sensors have all been lengthened by 20mm. This allows the Level Control Module (LCM) to work within its designed operating parameters. I initially tried to program the LCM so that level 2 would be 35mm higher than level 1 (making level 1 equal to previous level 2) but the LCM does not accept values so far out of its programmable range.
oh lord!

Harrison

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 07:18:21 PM »
Intended use?

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 08:46:16 PM »
Daily, exploring, winter poker runs, maybe green trails if I’m bored some weekend and don’t wanna bring out the big toys.

Overlanding with a sweet $4500 rooftop tent since they apparently cost what three of my typical cars cost.

Wintertime snow based idiocy in general.
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 08:54:15 PM »
with your commute i dont see how a 400 XJ wouldnt fit all requirements and not need a rooftop tent. 

hope you find something useful.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 10:03:24 PM »
Zero interest in ratty XJ dailies. They just don’t turn my crank. WJs... (I should scrap that...)

The tent is mostly a joke. I had the thought and then died at the price.

Dog dictates some types of flexibility on things for another 5-7years though. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

oh lord!

etk300ex

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 11:10:22 AM »
Sell all your shit and get a new bike!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 11:27:20 AM »
Wish I didn’t think bikes were dumb now. True fact. But I kinda do.
oh lord!

etk300ex

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 11:51:37 AM »
 :o

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 12:41:05 PM »
Biking to work in all weather ruined me. Then I got fatter. Pure coincidence I’m certain. Which also ruined me.

Maybe next year. [in perpetuity]
oh lord!

M

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 01:17:54 PM »
Mike, you're the perfect candidate for an ebike. 

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 02:53:12 PM »
I never wanted a red car.. always thought they were tacky and common...
I now have 4 very not common cars and they are all red.. :o

TrailTamer

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 03:09:11 PM »
with your commute i dont see how a 400 XJ wouldnt fit all requirements and not need a rooftop tent. 

I second this.

Ask M to find you a clean southern unit.

M

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 03:54:27 PM »

I second this.

Ask M to find you a clean southern unit.

I did, and it got sold lightning quick.   https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/455032872027418/?ref=messenger_share

edit: oh, you mean XJs.   Good clean rust free XJs examples in the south go for $4k-$5k.  They're like gold down here.    I noticed they're way cheaper up north because of rust.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 03:58:27 PM by M »

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 10:42:45 PM »
Checked out the silver $2k car tonight. Drove it. Has some electrical issues, and is no longer on air. Was spring-swapped. otherwise very good.

Hvac controls and function were flickering, and known and confirmed bad wire to oil pressure sensor. Sensor and pump swapped. Has some oils leaks from pan gasket issue and valve cover gaskets are needed. Shifter brake-park interlock is non-op and needs a screwdriver to go into gear.

Could be patched into Wonder status in a couple hours with a mechanical oil gauge + hardwired sensor and some shifter parts broken off. Oil leaks aren’t bad enough to preclude driving. Just to preclude parking in the exact same spot all the time.

I’m loving the idea of resurrecting the $600 manual trans unit near Albany.  That’s not above i don’t think. After looking one over in person I’m near certain the engine has to come out to do a head. There’s great front access to do timing belts and accessories but side access is retarded tight. Engine bay is packed.
The autos seem to fail at about the age the one I looked at is, ~150k. The mileage most of these have reached...

I think I need to clean out the driveway of VWs and have them both. Because I’m damaged in the head and fixated on a new shiny object. Drive silver through the winter and send it in months after I fix up maroon.

oh lord!