Author Topic: MMTR Allroad Idiocy  (Read 11207 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: MMTR Allroad Idiocy
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2019, 02:11:10 AM »
I went to 90% assembly like a confident idiot.

I fixed that without tearing it down all the way - intake and exhaust were off by 1 tooth. The cam chain tensioner is a fooler. I have a photo of it when I was putting it together and it looks right. It threw codes and didn’t run right and I took the cover off and it was off by a tooth. Managed to pull the slave cam and tensioner and fix it. Left the belt on. I considered that an accomplishment until I finished it up, filled coolant, and had a gross leak.

Couldn’t find. Looked for hours. It was appearing at the bottom back corner of the block. I’d accidentally pulled one of two bolts on the crossover tube between the backs of the heads but that wasn’t the leak. It HAD to be the thermostat housing. Makes no sense - wrong place for it to dribble. And definitive check means FULL tear down, it’s behind the timing belt.

Pressurized system in hopes of speeding leak, and it sealed up. We’ll see if that lasts.

It’s still not running right either. Didn’t clear up with idle time nor a couple miles driven. Bank 1 is collecting misfires and sounds like a gross exhaust leak. Same bank that I was off by a tooth between cams.

Might check compression, but I have zero indication that anything touched. Did 3-4 full revolutions before firing and never any noises.

I did have to R&R the EGR valve twice (valve cover doesn’t clear, tensioner requires full removal) but it passes visual and I can’t feel any exhaust leak.

It’s even loud in the car under accel. It really sounds like an exhaust leak. I don’t get it.

Not giving up, but may have to throw to the Audi forums.

Definitely know it intimately now.
Put the tires on too. Had to trim 20 bolts
Found that out after bottoming 10 of them in the front knuckles. Hope I didn’t take too many miles off the bearings with that dumbassery.

Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2019, 02:42:37 AM »
Same OP on audiworld too with resolution. Lots of folks saying lack of oil pressure in tensioner will do that, in his case the combo valve was lose. Will double check valve and if tight will pull cover again and investigate if I blocked the oil port somehow when I fixed the chain.

Good: next steps to take.

Probably shouldn’t drive it if the chain is rattling around without tension. Seems bad for all those parts.

Sounds like that chain tensioner does vary intake cam timing by bursting pressure to top or bottom. I didn’t realize but that makes sense. Why else would it be the way it is...
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2019, 11:55:31 AM »
had a thought: I can check chain tensioner with 2 bolts and the cam position sensor. Pull that cap in 45 seconds, if the intake cam can rock back and forth the tensioner isn't working right in spite of not setting a code. If the cam seems tight, it's almost got to be a combi valve exhaust leak in spite of not being able to find it.

I couldn't resist and drove it to work. 😍 😍 😍
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2019, 12:53:38 PM »
98% convinced it’s a combi valve exhaust leak. It sounds like an exhaust leak. Goes away entirely on decel until return to idle.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 01:57:44 PM by mr.mindless »
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2019, 01:02:31 PM »
if it makes you feel any better, what i am going to most likely pick up Thursday is fully inspired by your shenanigans.  <keepin it a secret!>

I’m unspeakably excited to see your secret. I don’t have a clue. It can’t be an Eagle, and i don’t expect it to be a Subi, but that seems most likely. Just too normal to count as inspiration haha
oh lord!

etk300ex

« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2019, 01:29:37 PM »
me too

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2019, 03:17:47 PM »
gonna be rolling with that exhaust leak for a bit, seal is a week out for anyone it seems.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2019, 04:14:15 PM »
available... RAUDI isn't.
Dunno if I'll bother.

Since I know Matt will wonder - the new non-yellow Excelsior plates start their run in April '20. They are similar in look to the blue on white Empire plates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_New_York#1966_to_present
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 04:20:33 PM by mr.mindless »
oh lord!

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2019, 06:01:45 PM »
Personally, I refuse to give this state any more of my dollars than I have to.
Retired

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2019, 10:30:14 PM »
Haven’t noticed any rub since I put the fender liners in. Neat!

Ordered lower arms and left axle shaft. Be here week from Tuesday. Slap that in along with the front air struts I think.

Should do lift at the same time. Need an hour or two on lathe and 8 proper bolts.

Reduce reliability! Increase cool! Go
oh lord!

TrailTamer

« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2019, 10:36:42 PM »
Of fraud I

Lol

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2019, 05:40:31 PM »
can you bring my engine lift back if / when you need to use the lathe? 

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2019, 07:33:28 PM »
Absolutely.

Was hoping I’d get things torn apart and have white Jetta ready for scrap soon. I think that’s next up on my list for tomorrow.

Confirmed exhaust leak, and found source, and repaired. This is the mounting face. I didn’t put the seal in that arrived today. I just moved the mounting tab for whatever that is behind the tube where it belongs. Both bolt holes are in the mostly soot-covered face of that egr tube.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:49:23 AM by mr.mindless »
oh lord!

M

« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2019, 10:00:29 AM »
lol, I didn't wonder but that's cool to know.   Totally forgot NYS will have new plates soon.