Author Topic: Build from scratch: where to start?  (Read 6121 times)

Harrison

Re: Build from scratch: where to start?
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2019, 06:39:02 AM »
No flipping of axles here. A front axle mounted in the back spins the proper way. The pinion switching sides on the ring gear when the axle gets mounted 180° differently is what makes that work.

Basically, I am going to build a pass drop HP front and driver drop LP front. The driver drop LP will go in the rear.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2019, 07:30:18 AM »
A front axle mounted in the back spins the proper way. The pinion switching sides on the ring gear when the axle gets mounted 180° differently is what makes that work.

does it though?  it works because the drive shaft spins opposite now in its location....  its a mind breaker to think about it. 

i wouldn't think the weight, HP, and speeds of this unit there would be any concerns about a 60 gear set running backwards or upside down.   

Harrison

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2019, 08:38:41 AM »
Know many people running front Chevy 60s as a rear axle. No modifications or special gearsets.

Pinion moves to other side, driveshaft also spins the pinion the other way when it gets turned around. Look up gearset for Chevy D60 gearset, there is no designation for front or rear because they’re the same.

I’m $100 into a Chevy LP center chunk, HP Ford probably fine as a rear but I’d rather not wonder.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2019, 09:03:13 AM »
ya i know i have geared a few 60s and know the parts are same :) 

what i was tring to talk my self though is that yes, same gear sets (like i put in moose) for 60 front and rear, but pinions are going opposite directions, so one IS running on the coast side right?

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2019, 09:17:09 AM »
cant wait to see the parts picture and and lawn chair! 

tube size?  1.5"?  .120 and .095?

Harrison

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2019, 10:31:52 AM »
Meant no offense on 60 parts knowledge! :) Thats my understanding though... LP front and HP rear will drive on coast side and HP front and LP rear drive on drive side.

Going to get the axles all squared away with steering stuff first. Then pull motor from car, buy a couple seats and start building on a chassis table.

Planning to stick with 1.75 .120. I don’t think there is enough weight savings in a different choice that would be worth the strength and weldability debit.