Author Topic: Build from scratch: where to start?  (Read 6136 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: Build from scratch: where to start?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2019, 09:34:53 AM »
Iirc they hum along pretty happy at 6k.

I’m hoping for 55 at 4k in mine with 2.73s and a tdi trans. Probably going to require 35s. But that belongs in another thread!
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

Harrison

Build from scratch: where to start?
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2019, 09:40:02 AM »
Front engine design excludes GM stuff due to transaxle offset and Honda stuff because it runs backwards.

I wanted 150hp and the 1.8t gives good low end torque. It’s dime a dozen and has endless aftermarket support. The 01M trans is not the best unit but it has fixed, 6 bolt flange CV yokes, CVs are offset to the proper side, diff ratio is 4.53:1 and had a relatively low first gear at 2.71:1. The car has 83k on it so I’m hoping with a couple preventative updates the trans will work ok for a while anyway.

Top speed really is not much of a concern.

Here is a better pic of the car I’m modeling mine after. Weighs 2600lb with Toy axles and Neon transaxle.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:41:48 AM by Harrison »

luvmyxj

• Paying Customer
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2019, 10:06:30 AM »
you have a linky for that build?
i've been kicking plans around for something similar, so im curious to know what you mean by gm transaxle offset is no good
i did not know honda ran backwards but if using the stock tranny do the outputs rotate in the correct direction
do you also plan to use a neon trans or will you run a rear output tranny and a t-case?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:09:41 AM by luvmyxj »

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2019, 10:40:08 AM »
He’s going to run the VW 01m automatic transaxle from his engine donor car.

The drive hubs on the vw trans are basically at the flywheel. Very long passenger side axle shaft, same reason that it appealed to me for front-mid mount in Gus and still having some front driveshaft length to work with.

Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

Harrison

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2019, 10:43:10 AM »
Most transaxles do not have equal length CV shafts because the “diff” part is offset to one side or the other. On the VW, the diff is offset to the driver’s side. Turn the drivetrain 90° with the engine at the front and now you essentially have two passenger drop transfercase outputs (once the spiders are welded).

My understanding is that GM stuff is either offset to the center or the other side of the car, making it better suited to go in the rear with trans facing forward. Flipped diffs needed for that maybe? Honda spins the other way and avoids needing flipped diffs. Once I narrowed down front engine, the VW quickly seemed to me like the obvious choice so I did not research much further.

I will run the stock VW trans which will work well to attach driveshafts to because they use flanges rather than most other FWD stuff where the CV kinda “pops” in and subsequently can pop out pretty easily. Moose had that problem and the Neon buggy guy came up with a PTFE/flange captured contraption to make it work.

This is the VW trans. The output you see here will be the front output (and the rear is right behind it). The flange makes it much easier to mount a u joint yoke with a little creative machining.

There are pics of a lot of it in this thread. His IG handle is johns4whln, has some pics there too.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/2328786-neon-transaxle-buggy.html?amp=1

I’m going to have a fun time building a two seater. This is looking from the back of the buggy at the “rear” transaxle output. I think I can make it work with a couple inches here and there and some creative floor panels.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:47:21 AM by Harrison »

luvmyxj

• Paying Customer
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2019, 01:31:19 PM »
My bad, from the 1st pic you posted the front is so tiny I imagined this was a rear engine build, but regardless for my own research purposes would this drive line be suitable for a rear engine build, or naw

Harrison

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2019, 02:02:34 PM »
You’d have to run it basically like Smike did in 572. Trans pointing forward, diffs flipped.

Harrison

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2019, 02:04:35 PM »
This is a good thread too. Same guy who built the Neon buggy sorta brainstorming before starting to build. This is where I was turned onto the VW idea.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/2288802-more-transaxle-talk.html%3famp=1

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2019, 12:55:35 PM »
so low pinion axles?

Harrison

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2019, 01:36:46 PM »
LP rear, HP front. Both need to be offset to passenger side when they’re in the car, which is of course is the opposite of the configurations that exist unmodified. Going to cut and sleeve long sides and weld inner Cs on short sides to get everything where I need it.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2019, 12:19:16 PM »
start with both high pinion fords if your cutting and sleeving any way?  (a front diff works the same directionally when moved to the rear)

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2019, 12:22:53 PM »
o, was rear steer talked about at all here? or is that out of the plans

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2019, 01:30:31 PM »
Rear steer is happening
Retired

Harrison