Author Topic: new house for mike  (Read 27846 times)

etk300ex

Re: new house for mike
« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2019, 10:07:14 AM »
If you added another ground rod that would make a ground loop through the earth.  That's not good.

etk300ex

« Reply #136 on: June 05, 2019, 10:08:11 AM »
google says

Grounding for Sub Panels

A second panel or sub panel should have the neutral and ground terminals or bars isolated from each other, this is why the main circuit feed to the sub panel must have 4 wires, with a dedicated insulated wire for the neutral and a separate wire for the ground.
All the ground wires bond back at the main panel together with the neutrals.
The sub panel neutral bar or terminal should not be bonded to the enclosure or the ground of the sub panel. The sub panel ground should not have a ground rod tied to it.
The bonding for the main ground sources such as a ground rod is made at the main panel where all the grounds are bonded together as well.

yes

etk300ex

« Reply #137 on: June 05, 2019, 10:10:20 AM »
Also it you want to know, the neutral to ground bond is so a fault will trip the circuit breaker.

In a properly designed circuit, if a fault were to occur on the 120-volt outlet between the hot-wire and the ground, the current will flow through ground wire back to the main panel, where it will move to the neutral wire via the neutral-to-ground bond, up to the utility transformer, back down the hot wire to the circuit breaker, tripping the breaker.

In an faulty designed circuit, if a fault were to occur on the 120-volt outlet between the hot-wire and the ground, the current will flow through ground wire back to the main panel, where because it does not have a neutral-to-ground bond, the current will be forced through the ground rod, into and across the earth, and up the utility ground rod and in to the utility transformer, back down the hot wire to the circuit breaker.  The resistance of the earth is almost always to great to allow sufficient current flow to trip the breaker, and you end up with a steady-state ground fault, that never trips the breaker, and this is a hazardous situation indeed.  You cannot use the earth as a conductor.

etk300ex

« Reply #138 on: June 05, 2019, 11:54:58 AM »
Just saw your facebook post.  Please do not use anything anyone told you there.

Lou Levy owns and runs an electrical company?  Pretty much everything he said is incorrect. 

luvmyxj

• Paying Customer
« Reply #139 on: June 05, 2019, 01:04:27 PM »
IDK anything other then what I've seen, but at a detached garage I did a couple weeks ago the homeowner had me drive a ground rod in with my hammer drill and said it was part of his electrical inspection for his sub panel, I also vaguely remember a ground rod at Dennis's sub panel,maybe different requirements for different application,idk

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: June 05, 2019, 01:19:49 PM »
seems you can find many wrong same or different information regarding ground rods.

some reference weather the sub is within the same structure or not, weather a metal building / concrete.  i dont know- did some code change?

we use to race with lou, he is the resident facebook troll when anything electric comes up.  its comical.  i would have figured he to be pretty up to date with current regulations. 

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: June 05, 2019, 01:25:03 PM »
The neutral to ground bond and ground rod will be at your main panel only.  Sub panel will get its ground from the ground bus and neutral from the

yes i have this.

Sub panel will get its ground from the ground bus and neutral from the neutral bus of the main panel.

this was initially confusing to me, because in the main pannel the ground bus and neutral are the same bar basically.  JJ said to hook the sub neutral as close as possible to panel neutral, and the sub ground as close as possible to the pannel ground (lead that goes to ground rod), which i did.  even though its the same bar 5" long.... seems silly. 

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: June 05, 2019, 02:04:35 PM »

In an faulty designed circuit, if a fault were to occur on the 120-volt outlet between the hot-wire and the ground, the current will flow through ground wire back to the main panel, where because it does not have a neutral-to-ground bond, the current will be forced through the ground rod, into and across the earth, and up the utility ground rod and in to the utility transformer, back down the hot wire to the circuit breaker.  The resistance of the earth is almost always to great to allow sufficient current flow to trip the breaker, and you end up with a steady-state ground fault, that never trips the breaker, and this is a hazardous situation indeed.  You cannot use the earth as a conductor.

cool, there's a name for what's up in my house.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 02:06:26 PM by mr.mindless »
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

etk300ex

« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2019, 02:15:47 PM »
 :-X

etk300ex

« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2019, 02:17:09 PM »
To be fair, many people probably think the "sub-panel" is being fed from your house, not a main panel in the same structure. 

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2019, 03:32:54 PM »
so when i run my sub to my garage from the barn main, i then need a ground rod over there?

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2019, 10:43:47 PM »
sub in upper barn run

4 sections of pallet racking assembled on cold side.  it will get a 5th section there, but decided to think on which end.  i almost like the gap at the main door to stick my mower.  so instead of how i planned i think another section is going on the far end by the cars. 

3 remaining sections will be on shop side with 4x8 tables under two sections with only a high shelf for storage and task light support, with a 3rd section having 4 close shelves for small shop stuff / tools / parts / supplies.  3rd 4x8 table with be in center end in front of the lift. 

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #147 on: June 06, 2019, 11:44:54 AM »
Some electrical INSPECTORS can require an additional ground rod loop at a sub panel. If you have any questions, call the inspector that will be doing it because he is the final say. If no inspection, then keep running 4 wires to your sub panels and maintain separate floating neutral bus and bonded ground bus (except in the main panel, of course).
Retired

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: June 06, 2019, 06:26:54 PM »
kind of getting sick of spray insulation companies not returning calls or providing a quote..... 

i have a shop to build you morons and this is holding me up if im going to insulate now is the time.  bah. 

luvmyxj

• Paying Customer
« Reply #149 on: June 06, 2019, 07:46:22 PM »
i dontthink you want them to call you back,just looked at do it yourself kits it would cost you 12k by your specs