Projects place > Projects Section

Poor Man’s SxS

(1/7) > >>

MarcW:
So I figured I’d start a separate thread on this thing, since mine is still alive and doing well; Jeff’s is in pieces from hitting trees at speed.

I bought two trackers a year ago for $450, and got one running out of the pair. Between the two I sold off as much as I could and scrapped the rest, and was left with a profit. So the only money I really have in to the thing is the upgrades I’ve added.

MarcW:
For those that don’t know, Geo Trackers weigh roughly 21-2400lbs, depending on trim package and top selection. The 16 Valve 1.6L that came in the 92-98 Tracker/Sidekick puts out 95hp when new.

Right off the bat Jeff and I added ATV tires to them; Sedona Mud Rebel R/T in 30x10x15. The lugs on these thing made up for the power the Tracker doesn’t have.

Jeff wanted to keep his “oem” looking, I wanted to strip anything off mine that I could sell, and also save weight. So I completely gutted mine of all non essential parts.

MarcW:
Made custom bumpers front and rear using scrap pieces laying around, and welded the rear.

MarcW:
That’s pretty much how it stayed since last fall while it got used and abused in Attica. The tires more than made up for the small motor, and there’s nothing (except one mud hole, and a 70* grade hill) in Attica that it’s been denied yet. The short wheelbase is surprisingly stable and I have yet to roll it, even after catching air and rolling a bead in a freak stump hit.

MarcW:
This past Spring I decided to start making it a little more user friendly, and safer to drive. The oem tank hangs way too low in the rear, so I mounted and plumbed a 12 gallon Jaz cell I had floating around my garage for the past two years. Trackicks already use a return fuel system so plumbing was quick and easy. I copied what I did with the Race Jeep fuel system as it seems to have worked well; walbro pickups and hard line. When I bought this cell it also came with foam, not the good kind, so I need to remember to use non-ethanol in it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version