Author Topic: Poor Man’s SxS  (Read 2774 times)

MarcW

Poor Man’s SxS
« on: July 26, 2018, 01:10:38 PM »
So I figured I’d start a separate thread on this thing, since mine is still alive and doing well; Jeff’s is in pieces from hitting trees at speed.

I bought two trackers a year ago for $450, and got one running out of the pair. Between the two I sold off as much as I could and scrapped the rest, and was left with a profit. So the only money I really have in to the thing is the upgrades I’ve added.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 10:56:03 PM by MarcW »

MarcW

Re: The Poor Mans SxS
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 01:21:02 PM »
For those that don’t know, Geo Trackers weigh roughly 21-2400lbs, depending on trim package and top selection. The 16 Valve 1.6L that came in the 92-98 Tracker/Sidekick puts out 95hp when new.

Right off the bat Jeff and I added ATV tires to them; Sedona Mud Rebel R/T in 30x10x15. The lugs on these thing made up for the power the Tracker doesn’t have.

Jeff wanted to keep his “oem” looking, I wanted to strip anything off mine that I could sell, and also save weight. So I completely gutted mine of all non essential parts.

MarcW

Re: The Poor Man’s SxS
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 01:27:02 PM »
Made custom bumpers front and rear using scrap pieces laying around, and welded the rear.

MarcW

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 01:36:23 PM »
That’s pretty much how it stayed since last fall while it got used and abused in Attica. The tires more than made up for the small motor, and there’s nothing (except one mud hole, and a 70* grade hill) in Attica that it’s been denied yet. The short wheelbase is surprisingly stable and I have yet to roll it, even after catching air and rolling a bead in a freak stump hit.

MarcW

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 01:42:59 PM »
This past Spring I decided to start making it a little more user friendly, and safer to drive. The oem tank hangs way too low in the rear, so I mounted and plumbed a 12 gallon Jaz cell I had floating around my garage for the past two years. Trackicks already use a return fuel system so plumbing was quick and easy. I copied what I did with the Race Jeep fuel system as it seems to have worked well; walbro pickups and hard line. When I bought this cell it also came with foam, not the good kind, so I need to remember to use non-ethanol in it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 12:38:55 PM by MarcW »

MarcW

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 01:51:48 PM »
More recently I decided to rewire a few things, and delete everything off the column. Trackicks have a funny shift interlock system, that combined with a broken pin in the ignition cylinder made starting it a patient man’s game. So I deleted all of it.

I wired up the essentials that I wanted using Carling switches, and gave it push button start. I plan to run these switches on the Race Jeep so I figured if I can get them to survive the abuse in the Tracker they should be fine. I know some like the sealed toggles for open applications, but the only bad thing I’ve read about Carling switches is debris getting behind the rocker, and I like the ease of an all in one unit.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 08:47:18 PM »
carlings are among the only switches I haven't had failures of in 571. even a couple sealed pushbuttons have flaked out, though most were older than the Conturas I use. Good call.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

MarcW

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 10:49:56 PM »
carlings are among the only switches I haven't had failures of in 571. even a couple sealed pushbuttons have flaked out, though most were older than the Conturas I use. Good call.

I’ve been running them for a couple years now between various vehicles, but never in an open application before. That’s good to hear they handle the abuse. No trouble with mud or debris preventing the rocker from, rocking?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 10:55:08 PM by MarcW »

MarcW

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 10:54:23 PM »
This thing literally gets treated like a SxS, it gets parked, then hosed down inside and out after each trip. I figured if something shorts or quits it wasn’t meant to be.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 10:54:38 PM »
pressure washer fixes that right up
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
Re: Poor Man’s SxS
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 11:11:50 PM »
very cool builds guys!  these things are a blast!....  didnt jeff put a plow on his last winter too?

MarcW

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 11:16:28 PM »
very cool builds guys!  these things are a blast!....  didnt jeff put a plow on his last winter too?

He ended up picking up two more for his neighbor last Fall, and his neighbor had Jeff put a plow on so he could use it.

Between the two of us now we’ve picked up probably a dozen or so lol. I like finding them and parting them, it’s become my new hobby.

MarcW

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 11:21:21 PM »
Decided to order up some DIY beadlocks, since 5-6psi was starting to burp the tires last time out. After a little research I decided on dirt track racing beadlocks, made by Aero: 3/16 inner weld ring, with a stamped outer ring to help strength and keep rocks away from bolt heads. I read a few users on Pirate and various Jeep forums had good results with them. And they’ll be light, which is key for this build.

matt

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 12:12:37 PM »
Decided to order up some DIY beadlocks, since 5-6psi was starting to burp the tires last time out. After a little research I decided on dirt track racing beadlocks, made by Aero: 3/16 inner weld ring, with a stamped outer ring to help strength and keep rocks away from bolt heads. I read a few users on Pirate and various Jeep forums had good results with them. And they’ll be light, which is key for this build.

These for aluminum wheels?  Or you switching to steel?

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 12:32:33 PM »
I love this thread!  8)
Retired