Author Topic: Battery Cables  (Read 1686 times)

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
Battery Cables
« on: July 25, 2018, 10:30:25 AM »
whats the rule of thumb with battery cables?
distance, size?

battery on the Rover will be remote mounted.. looking at possibly 8 feet to get from battery to solenoid.
is 4 gauge up to the task or do I need 0/2?
solenoid to starter is 4 gauge..
I never wanted a red car.. always thought they were tacky and common...
I now have 4 very not common cars and they are all red.. :o

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
Re: Battery Cables
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 10:32:23 AM »
4 AWG Gauge Battery Cable

4 Gauge AWG Battery Cable has an amperage capacity of 100 amps at a cable length of 9.4 feet. 4 gauge battery cable can be used as power cabling for small cars, RV trailers, golf carts, solar cells, watercraft and trolling motors. It can also be used to connect multiple small batteries (lawn and tractor batteries) together in parallel to create higher voltage battery banks of 24, 36, and 48 volts. When used as a power cable in a low voltage electrical system, remember that the total length of both the positive and negative cables have to be considered when selecting amperage capacity of the cable in your electrical system. Termination of battery cable is done using copper lugs or battery terminals. Covered in a durable, high temperature resistant red PVC insulation. Rated for low voltage and battery use up to 60 volts DC and 25 Volts AC.  The internal copper stranded core is highly conductive maximizing current flow while still being highly flexible. Meets SAE J1127 specifications. Temperature rated from -50°C to 105°C (-58°F to 221°F). Made in the USA. RoHS Compliant

I never wanted a red car.. always thought they were tacky and common...
I now have 4 very not common cars and they are all red.. :o

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 10:59:59 AM »
I'd run the biggest you can with a remote mount, 1/0 would be my recommendation.
Retired

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 11:52:23 AM »
agreed, I'd step up. in that rig (without a battery winch, with a relatively low compression engine) you could probably get away with 4, but...
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

MarcW

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 06:13:46 PM »
I’ve always done cable upgrades on my XJ’s with 2awg welding cable. I like welding cable better than battery cable.

Without a winch I’d stick to the 2awg-1/0 like suggested. 4awg would work but I always err on the side of caution.

Race Jeep has 3/0, which on paper is still bare minimum for my winch on full pull.

gif

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 10:35:08 PM »
starter will draw 300 amps

I use high strand count OFC 1/0 <25ft

Callelle

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 10:37:28 PM »
I've been wanting to relocate my battery to where my rear seat used to be, but I've never found an actual guide as to how to go about it. Do you wire everything going to the battery individually, do you make some sort of hub in the engine bay for everything to connect to, how does it work with a winch, etc.?

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 11:15:24 PM »
Use a quality junction block(s) with multiple lugs on it.

Mount battery. Run 1/0 cable to junction block. Done.
Retired