Author Topic: New Welder  (Read 2417 times)

FallibleXJ

New Welder
« on: January 26, 2018, 08:51:17 AM »
Hey all,

Looking for any advice on buying a new (or new to me) MIG welder. I've been using the cheap HF flux core welder for everything for the last few years... and I want to upgrade. Been bumming around craigslist and what not and I'm currently sitting between a used lincoln/miller or a new HF vulcan series. Thickest I ever run into is 1/4" and most often its 14ga or so.

Thoughts/suggestions? (would also consider TIG, I've just never done it before and would have to learn something new..)

Wingman

• Free Loader
Re: New Welder
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 10:14:12 AM »
I've been considering selling my Miller 211 Auto-set to "downsize" my setup to the new Miller inverter 211. Unit would come with cart and bottle. PM if interested.
Retired

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 10:23:00 AM »
I’ve recently started using the auto set of my auto set. I actually like it, it’s usually pretty good - the down side is that if it’s a bit off you don’t know the starting point to tweak up or down. So I should get out of the habit when there’s any out of position going to be involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

FallibleXJ

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 02:15:47 PM »
i love my 211, ill rebuild it before replacing it with a new 211.  i couldnt stand Coras the two or the times i used it.  very different and annoying to adjust to

that said. anything you buy is going to be a lot better than an HF welder.  something to consider with the off brands: consumables availability

Nick

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 09:10:20 PM »
I also am very happy with my 211. I think it is a great mix of power and compact size

gif

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 10:38:53 PM »
Buy a brand name welder if you plan to use it.  If you are a web welder then any old pos will do. 
I have a 1979 Millermatic 200.  Bullet proof.  I have put countless 33lb rolls of wire through it with zero hardware failures.
No fancy control board to die,  no inverter to fail,  just plain old large inductor, capacitor bank and bridge rectifier.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/583318/Miller-Electric-Millermatic-200-Skp-34.html?page=44#manual
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:42:34 PM by gif »

FallibleXJ

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 11:37:45 AM »
i love my 211, ill rebuild it before replacing it with a new 211.  i couldnt stand Coras the two or the times i used it.  very different and annoying to adjust to

that said. anything you buy is going to be a lot better than an HF welder.  something to consider with the off brands: consumables availability
The 211 looks like a great machine, just out of my price range.

Actually hadn't considered consumables outside of wire and tips... Back to Craigslist trolling I go

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 06:16:28 PM »
wire, tips, nozel, mig head, mig leads, drive wheels, fan parts in that order

carchameleon

• Free Loader
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 09:34:30 AM »
i enjoy my hobart handler 140, does all i need it to

TrailTamer

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 04:23:59 PM »
Watch on Facebook marketplace or Craigslist for good used brand name unit. Bonus if they come with accessories such as cart, tank, regulator, wire, etc which can save good bit of coin.

My welder is an older HTP brand, model MAXIMIG. Built like a tank, weight at least 200lbs, take two guys to lift it. If I remember correctly I paid like $700 for it OTD, full gas tank, regulator, nozzles, contact tips, some 10lb spools of wire, etc. circa 2009 directly from HTP company owner/president.

Go as big as you can! Avoid 120v MIG, they’re useless except for sheet metal welding. Dual 120v/240v machines OK and can come in handy sometime though!

FallibleXJ

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 09:22:29 AM »
Well, glad I asked for advice because apparently I'm incapable of following it. I was at HF for some socket organizers and decided to at least take a look at it. On the rack behind it they had replacement everything other than drive wheels. The machine looked and felt pretty solid, definitely not in the same category as their old black case welders. I'm not certain I can say its in the same league as miller or lincoln, but I'm willing to be for my purpose it will work. With the one year guarantee, I went ahead and bought it. Please forgive me

Worse that happens is I take it back within a year.

FallibleXJ

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 06:53:04 PM »
Was able to finally get it all hooked up and give it a test. So far... I'm in love. Granted, I'm coming from that shitty 90A flux core shenanigans they sell so ANYTHING would be better.