Author Topic: hannah's build thread  (Read 19537 times)

Hannah

hannah's build thread
« Reply #180 on: October 07, 2016, 04:35:21 PM »
Forgot to update a few weeks ago... after jeepie sitting for weeks and weeks and weeks Harry and I finally had a chance to look it over after it's voyage to Rausch earlier this summer. The issue of starting really hard and slowly got worse after that trip. We replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. Seems to be starting a little bit better. After hardly having breaks after last trip we replaced the master cylinder which led to the discovery of a rusty bleeder and had to replace a caliper. It was a long weekend of Harry working on his truck and instructing me through the steps, helping only when I needed more muscle, and me being grumpy about working on a hot weekend a few weeks ago, jeepies all fixed up and we're all ready and signed up for black trails for women's wheeling at Rausch later this month. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: hannah's build thread
« Reply #181 on: October 07, 2016, 06:05:42 PM »
Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #182 on: October 07, 2016, 06:10:09 PM »
Cooler weather is incentive enough to get garage work done... !!!
I never wanted a red car.. always thought they were tacky and common...
I now have 4 very not common cars and they are all red.. :o

Hannah

« Reply #183 on: October 22, 2016, 08:13:58 PM »
Great day at women's wheeling. Rained hard last night into the morning, leaving it slippery for most of the morning. Had a small group of four today, a d60 jk, a buggy, and Mollie with an equivalent xj to mine.

Got a bit sketched out on the Walk in the Park hill climb, sliding sideways, got a winch tug to help me out and then made it with slack the whole time. Next time...
Did trail 20, always a favorite, while the rest of the group did trail 13 along rock creek I ventured in and had the best time. First time in rock creek and cruises the whole way to the cut through at the end of 13. My new favorite Rausch trail! Then we went to Yellow Jacket, the d60 broke a shaft on their way up, the xj's cruised up. Met up with Mark Wing, did trail 6 behind the office. Fun and challenging trail, getting better every time I wheel. While heading up the end climb my transfer case popped out of 4 low, which happens earlier n the day but didn't think anything over it. Remembers this happens once last year. It continued to happen more frequently on our way out of the park. Done for the weekend, will check it out in a few weekends.

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #184 on: October 23, 2016, 07:37:00 AM »
I love good sheetmetal on the rocks...

Means you care and can drive  ;)

Harrison

hannah's build thread
« Reply #185 on: December 18, 2016, 06:36:42 PM »
Got the 242 out and disassembled today.

As suspected, pads on both forks brittle and strewn throughout inside of case. Fork for planetary engagement is worn enough it will need to be replaced. Main symptom was inability to stay in 4 low, makes sense.

Also found this retaining washer really beat up and made getting the output shaft out very difficult. This appears to bottom out near the needle bearing inside the planetary housing. When I did the hack'n'tap, I noticed there was probably 1/8-1/4" in/out play on the output shaft. I am guessing this is the reason for the beat up washer but I don't understand what should keep the shaft from doing that. I'm sure it got worse with the fixed yoke. Maybe I don't care, unless it somehow exacerbated the shift fork issue. Anyone have any insight?

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #186 on: December 18, 2016, 06:58:11 PM »
was the shifter linkage properly aligned?

IIRC.. parts mounted to the case, transmission, and unibody... lots of tweakable there and fully not engaged forks will be what you have found...

Harrison

« Reply #187 on: December 18, 2016, 07:05:46 PM »
Popped linkage off t case in Rausch parking lot and ensured the paddle was in low. Issue remained

Hannah

« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2017, 10:19:02 PM »
Weekend update:
T-case rebuild- Replaced beat up washer, welded and ground down a new pad on the old fork, reassembled t-case and installed back in.
Built a new crossmember since the old/original one is super beat up. Will finish installing it next weekend.
Will get t-case skid straightened back out and put back in, then hopefully give it a go and crossing fingers all will be fixed.

CJ

« Reply #189 on: January 23, 2017, 08:21:28 AM »
Awesome!!!  8)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2017, 09:20:55 AM »
like a boss!
oh lord!

Harrison

« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2017, 11:02:10 PM »
I helped with design/layout, I drilled the holes, and lifted it into place under the Jeep. The rest was eagerly tackled by my better half

Hannah

« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2017, 09:10:47 PM »
Installed the finished crossmember and t-case skid plate. Test drive around the yard and seems to be working. Keeping fingers crossed for next wheeling trip.

Hannah

« Reply #193 on: July 05, 2017, 11:28:13 AM »
Spent 4th of July working on my rear bumper. Repurposed Harry's old bumper to fit mine... between straightening it out, filling cracks, and grinding old paint off, it would have been faster building a new one lights aren't hooked up yet, since we weren't planning on making it this weekend.
Trailer space opened up for this weekend at Rausch so both jeeps are heading down. Didn't want to wheel again without this upgrade so Monday PM we decided to get it done!
Proper recovery points now will make this weekend all the more fun.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #194 on: July 05, 2017, 12:19:33 PM »
nice work!
oh lord!